Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

schg's ADA 30c reef

schgr.cube

Hmm but whats the problem? Its all done though... The only concern I may have is some leaking going on where the 1/2" pvc sticks out of the curve. Nothing silicone can't solve. Also depending on the gph from the return pump you may restrict some flow going down cause the 1/2" pvc is actually 3/4" outside diameter no? So that leaves you around 1/4" for drain.

That's the first problem. The second problem lies with how I decide to hide the PVC. First option is to drill straight through, which would only easily work with a straight overflow and straight return. If it isn't possible to drill the rock, then I will be breaking it apart and epoxying it to the overflow (will work with either setup).

The third problem is that nothing is fitting together without me having to glue or silicone ALL pieces, and I want to make sure I am able to get this somewhat apart in case of a clog.

I'll figure it out though ;)

PS: Not sure if I mentioned this already, but we're taking the 28 bowfront down so this will be the primary tank until we get our house. I also am getting a position at Sea in the City, so free coral!

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ohh I see... Yeah sounds kinda like a PITA. Taking down the 28 will put even more efforts and time on this one. Congrats on the job!

Yeah, but at least I get to use the reefkeeper for this tank now :P

Taking the tank down won't be a huge problem as I'm going to put it all in a 10g until I can finish. Ill figure it all out.

And for the job, its really more volunteering for now. The owner is awesome and is helping me get experience in the coral farm. It will hopefully be paid eventually.

Thats more bling for the tank!

Still an awesome experience though! You could easily frag some stuff and grow them there in a large stable system then move them to your tank.

DON'T buy from GlassCages, I've heard a ton of bad feedback on them.

It's a shame really, cause they're local to me.

i can back this up, i bought a tank from glasscages and the silicone seals really weren't what they should be for the price of the tank.. also the customer service was pretty bad

NooooOO! Don't take the 18g down. Mine is up and running primarily because of your encouragement! Lol. Its ok though, a new tank build is already on my mind. When did you change your SN?

This puppy looks absolutely sweet man. ADA + LEDs = WOW.

Thats more bling for the tank!

Still an awesome experience though! You could easily frag some stuff and grow them there in a large stable system then move them to your tank.

Exactly what I was thinking. And yeah, as much as I would like to have 2 tanks, its just not in the cards right now. I think it will work out well to have just the ADA for a while since we'll be going from place to place for a little bit.

i can back this up, i bought a tank from glasscages and the silicone seals really weren't what they should be for the price of the tank.. also the customer service was pretty bad

Yeah I've heard really bad things about them lately, I'm glad I went with the ADA!

NooooOO! Don't take the 18g down. Mine is up and running primarily because of your encouragement! Lol. Its ok though, a new tank build is already on my mind. When did you change your SN?

This puppy looks absolutely sweet man. ADA + LEDs = WOW.

Haha sorry, I just think it will be easier in the long run to stick with the ADA. I enjoy the 28 but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. Plus, the wifey found a 90 gallon today at the LFS that shes in love with, so planning will begin for that for our final move.

Right on. I had my wife take interest in a tank for the first time ever a couple weeks ago. Jump on that one! Also, I obv meant 28, not 18 above! Keep up the good work with your tanks man.

Right on. I had my wife take interest in a tank for the first time ever a couple weeks ago. Jump on that one! Also, I obv meant 28, not 18 above! Keep up the good work with your tanks man.

Haha I know, we walked into the LFS and she goes "ooooh.....I like that." Good thing it's the exact dimensions I was planning on making anyway :P

Will be drilling hole #2 today, wish me luck!

Also picked up this frag of blue hornets yesterday at World Wide Corals. Can't wait to put this in the ADA:

bluehornet.png

PS: Ignore the cyano, my r/o is going out. Also ignore the crappy picture, I don't have a good camera.

I'm pretty sure those are African Blues/AIOs/Blue Steels. Hornets have the alternating color skirt. Nice zoa either way, but the care requirements are different. Best thing I have found with those is high light and high flow. Do a dip with hydrogen peroxide (about 20% volume of your dip), as it will help fight off the fungus that they are notorious for. They are a tough one to keep, but look fantastic.

I'm pretty sure those are African Blues/AIOs/Blue Steels. Hornets have the alternating color skirt. Nice zoa either way, but the care requirements are different. Best thing I have found with those is high light and high flow. Do a dip with hydrogen peroxide (about 20% volume of your dip), as it will help fight off the fungus that they are notorious for. They are a tough one to keep, but look fantastic.

Ah, good call. I believe you're correct on that one. I'll do a dip on them later tonight and move them up after they fully acclimate to the light.

I was just at World Wide 2 weeks ago...picked up a Ricordia.

Worth the drive I assume? They have great stuff (although their prices could be better...)

can't believe i missed this one. good luck with it. i'll be following.

Ehe sweet, I'll try to keep it well updated.

Hey your tank is overstocked! Theres a guy in it!

Didn't you see stocking plans? I'll upgrade when he grows out of this tank.

Well the stand is...almost together?

I went to Home Depot and the guy assured me he would cut everything exactly as I needed it, so I trusted him. He seemed sensible enough....

So I get home and start to put it together (I know, I should have measured) and who could have guessed! It ends up being off! I'm not sure whether I just want to shim it, or just start over. I assume with glue and holes I can't get my money back...

i asked the hd guy at my local store what the tolerance on their saw was and he says it might be off by as much as 1/4in. He says they don't calibrate that often. Might just be the hd I go to though. Also be careful that wood isn't as thick as it is labeled so unless you measure right then and there, you're bound to be off

Archived