Coral Vue Hydros

schg's ADA 30c reef

schgr.cube

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply
this is a great build!!

Thanks!

I redid my plumbing again, since I had the sump to worth with. I had to change things up quite a bit in order to make up for the baffles in the sump, and the limited space, but I found a way to make everything work. I will post up the explanation later (have to go to work now!) for those who may be confused by it.

plumbingredo.jpg

Once I get my double threaded bulkheads and my hole saw bits, we can put some water in this thing.

Okay here goes:

plumbingredoexplained.jpg

1. Threaded pvc adapter to screw in to the bulkhead, making the entire plumbing setup removable for when we have to move. The pieces after were the original adapters, already glued in. Decided it was cheaper to not replace everything.

2. Ball valve for shutting off overflow, if necessary (most likely won't use).

3. Union to remove pieces for cleaning.

4. Exit into sump, will have a 1 1/4" piece of pvc to slide up and down into the filter sock to control noise.

5. Threaded adapter, same as #1.

6. Union check valve to prevent overflow of sump during power outage, also allows for cleaning.

7. Ball valve in case pressure from return pump is too high.

8. Union to remove piece for installation into sump, and for cleaning.

9. Pieces are angled to clear the sumps baffles, and work around the limited in-stand space.

10. Free moving 90 degree joint to direct water flow from return line inside the sump, will help clear the stagnant spot under the ice probe compartment.

11. Union, same as #8.

12. Barb adapter for the return pumps vinyl tubing, allows for some play in the placement of pump and will hopefully reduce vibration from pump.

Sorry to do this again, hopefully I made everything clear.

Wonderful planning, excellent execution. Tagging along here!

Hehe, well let's hope the execution goes well. There's still some important stuff left to figure out.

SO, I've got good news and bad news. I'll start with the bad.

BAD: The new bulkheads (double threaded) were somehow shipped to my old Maryland address, so we are waiting for them to come down here. They are supposedly being re-shipped tomorrow, so who knows how long that will be.

GOOD: The hole saw bits came in, so I can at least test fit everything and see how it looks. Everything turned out well, so I won't have to touch the plumbing again so long as the threaded adapters don't change things too much. We'll see ;)

But for now, you guys get some eye candy. Max joined in a few pictures to investigate what was going on.

DSC_0417.jpg

DSC_0418-1.jpg

DSC_0419.jpg

DSC_0420.jpg

DSC_0421.jpg

DSC_0422.jpg

Hopefully the plumbing makes a little more sense now. Also, before anyone says anything, I know that the big rock is too close to the glass. I will be trimming it down a bit when I make the final adjustments to everything.

Enjoy!

Looks great! Now it makes a lot of sense to me :) That hole saw kit arrived very quick! Sucks about the bulkheads

Thanks, I know it was really confusing on its own. And yeah it did arrive quickly, not too bad for how much it cost.

All holes drilled, painted the stand today, and made some progress on the Vortech housing. Waiting to hear back on a price for the Ice Probe, and as long as everything goes well this weekend I'll have the light sold and the Vortech purchased. HOPEFULLY things will actually come together this time.

Just ordered my MP10 for $165 shipped BRAND NEW, so I'm guessing that will ship out on Tuesday? My wood will be here Thursday at the latest, so expect this coming weekend to be VERY eventful. Sorry to keep teasing people, I promise this is almost over!

Going to look good when done. Looking forward to seeing it.

Thanks Chris, it was great dealing with you BTW. If you don't have a feedback thread, I'll have to start one for you tomorrow after work. Hopefully everything is okay with the light?

We also had a horrible experience at Steak and Shake, so we walked out. :huh:

Thank you! Very smooth transaction. Always good to meet a fellow reefer in person.

What happened at S-n-S? That place was packed.

Thank you! Very smooth transaction. Always good to meet a fellow reefer in person.

What happened at S-n-S? That place was packed.

Well we got seated after an older couple, and before a group of people. Both got their drinks and had their food orders taken and we didn't even get a hello. I took the menus to the manager and told him Steak and Shake wasn't worth that so we would take our business elsewhere. Oh well. -_-

That's a fcuking cute sump.

;)

Alright, my Vortech shipped out so I don't have to fear them running out on me (I'm paranoid, leave me alone) so I will now post up the place to get the Vortech for $170 shipped. Please PM me or respond saying you purchased from there, as I am have pointed a lot of business their way these past few days, and am going to see if I can get a little store credit for it :D

SO, without further ado, here is the link:

http://saltwatercritters.com/inc/sdetail/2317

When at checkout, please enter MP10SPECIAL in the coupon section (all caps) to get it for $170 shipped. This place is on the Ecotech sellers list, so I trusted them enough to buy it. Enjoy!

Anything small but Damsels... I'd say a pair of green banded gobies, Tailspot Blenny, pair of clowns, some small cardinal. Obviously not all of them but just some ideas of nice peaceful fish

Anything small but Damsels... I'd say a pair of green banded gobies, Tailspot Blenny, pair of clowns, some small cardinal. Obviously not all of them but just some ideas of nice peaceful fish

I had been debating a pair of sharknose gobies. Alison wants a pair of clowns (until they get too big).

Hm.

DSC_0417-2.jpg

Freshwater test!

DSC_0418.jpg

I'll hopefully have a video up soon. :lol:

I gotta say, when filled with water... that certainly looks a helluva lot bigger than 6.7 gallons. Almost looks like 10-15 gallons :)

Well technically it's almost 10G with sump. ;) Is this even considered a pico anymore? I never thought about it after getting rid of the 10" cube.

Sorry my video taking skills are horrible, I will post a better one once I have the final setup ready:

th_VID00001.jpg

Holy Sh!t theres water in it! omgomgomg how did the sweet water test turn? Everything flawless or still needs some tweeking?

I'm afraid yours not a Pico since you went with the 6G ADA :lol: Youre a Nano guy :D

The stand as it is right now looks great! Clear sump and tank pops up really nice. It will definitely look a lot better with those fancy mahogany panels :ninja:

How does the sump handles the water when the power goes off?

Holy Sh!t theres water in it! omgomgomg how did the sweet water test turn? Everything flawless or still needs some tweeking?

I'm afraid yours not a Pico since you went with the 6G ADA :lol: Youre a Nano guy :D

The stand as it is right now looks great! Clear sump and tank pops up really nice. It will definitely look a lot better with those fancy mahogany panels :ninja:

How does the sump handles the water when the power goes off?

Water test is great, everything runs fantastic (pump definitely needed to be throttled back, which I'm glad because now I have all that flow in the sump!) and I have to add a little more teflon tape to the threaded parts because I have a small leak. Other than that, it really couldn't have gone smoother.

Haha that's what I'm afraid of, I guess I'll have to have a mod move this to the members forum -_-

And yeah, I ended up painting the interior of the stand a dark gray (it was a mistinted color for cheaaaappp) which looks almost black, and then used marine varnish to protect everything. The mahogany apparently hasn't been cut yet, but that should happen tomorrow. :angry:

Check valve still lets a little water through, so I'm nervous, but we'll see how bad it is and if I can fix any issues with that

hehe... I saw you... :P

nice setup... very clean.

Haha yeah I noticed that too, not a good shot though so I'm lucky. And thanks :lol:

Had the thread moved, water test successful (a few small, fixable leaks, nothing major), in the process of finalizing my overflow / return rocks. I also mounted all of my electronics, but I need to figure out my wire management.

I am a little concerned about the noise of the overflow, but and really not sure what I can do with how the setup is. I tee'd it off and added a 90 degree and a cap with a airline in it, which definitely helped, but it's still noticeable loud. Any ideas?

this build is amazing, just dont get tanks like this over in the uk. we dont have the same kit about for nanos, here people have the "must get big tank" attitude. i should be picking up the glass for my 30cm cube this week and im very tempted to put a sump onto it but i dont know anything about the sizes of pipes needed for a tank this small. i will be following this thread

Archived