Top Shelf Aquatics

schg's ADA 30c reef

schgr.cube

Looks good. Tank coming along nice. I have something similar in mind for a new tank by elimating the wires, pumps, etc. But not untill i get the money. Did you go to exotic aquariums on 434 that went out of business? Super cheap frags while store was closing. Dendro with 5 heads for 10 bucks, couldn't complain.

Any ideas for fish yet?

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sexay!!! Damns looks good! Can't wait to see it mounted in your stand

Sadly I was kind of expecting nicer, but it still is nice. I tried getting pictures of the grain, but I don't think I'll be able to get anything decent until the stains on.

Sleek setup there friend! :)

Why thank you, your tank looks amazing as well so far.

Looks good. Tank coming along nice. I have something similar in mind for a new tank by elimating the wires, pumps, etc. But not untill i get the money. Did you go to exotic aquariums on 434 that went out of business? Super cheap frags while store was closing. Dendro with 5 heads for 10 bucks, couldn't complain.

Any ideas for fish yet?

Thanks! And no, unfortunately I didn't know about that place! They're out of business now. I wish I had gotten on that before hand...

whoa holy avatar

Nip you perv. -_-

I told you guys I would get sand...eventually.

021010sand.jpg

Cleared up pretty fast for only being in for 2 hours or so?

021010ftssand.jpg

021010sidesand.jpg

Hello neighbor! :D

Nice tank so far! I'll be following!!

What LFS do you usually go to around here?

Thanks! We usually go to Aquarium Fanatucs because he's closer, but there's also World Wide Corals and Sea In The City which are both great.

Thanks! We usually go to Aquarium Fanatucs because he's closer, but there's also World Wide Corals and Sea In The City which are both great.

Ahh, you're a little ways away. I've been to SITC and WWC, but those are kinda far from me (still worth the drive though!) (SITC is about 20 ish minutes on i-4 and WWC is 30+ min). Technically, I'm in Altamonte Springs. I have Seven Seas Aquarium, Coral Reef Aquariums, Ocean Direct and Fishy Business (Boooo, hisss lol).

I saw earlier in your thread that you "volunteer" at SITC... do you still do that?

Ahh, you're a little ways away. I've been to SITC and WWC, but those are kinda far from me (still worth the drive though!) (SITC is about 20 ish minutes on i-4 and WWC is 30+ min). Technically, I'm in Altamonte Springs. I have Seven Seas Aquarium, Coral Reef Aquariums, Ocean Direct and Fishy Business (Boooo, hisss lol).

I saw earlier in your thread that you "volunteer" at SITC... do you still do that?

Yeah we are new to the state so we haven't been to that many places. I've been meaning to try convince my wife to go to fishy business because I've heard good things, but coral funds are very low atm.

I still technically do volunteer there, but we lost someone at my job so I'm there pretty much all the time now and don't have time to. I should start again once things slow down.

Yeah we are new to the state so we haven't been to that many places. I've been meaning to try convince my wife to go to fishy business because I've heard good things, but coral funds are very low atm.

I still technically do volunteer there, but we lost someone at my job so I'm there pretty much all the time now and don't have time to. I should start again once things slow down.

Where did you hear good things? I've seen nothing but bad things at Fishy Business lol. Everyone who had ever referred me there, hadn't actually been there in 2+ years. Well, apparently over those 2+ years....things might have gone downhill lol. I haven't been there in months but that last few times I went, was not impressed. Actually, mildly offended lol.

If you still have those Fire and Ice Zoas, and they're growing I can buy a frag from you =D

Also, I'm currently upgrading to a 58 gallon but I kinda quit my job so that's on hold. But once the ball gets rolling, do you think you could help me with the plumbing of the sump/refugium? I have NO IDEA what I'm doing/looking at when it comes to plumbing...my boyfriend understands plumbing but not tanks and the purpose of a sump lol so I'm kinda at a loss =(((((( This wont be for a while until I get back on my feet lol.

30C's are 7.5G's...

nice build though :)

Actually comes out to 7.2G...how did I #### that up? hahah.

I'll have to fix that.

Where did you hear good things? I've seen nothing but bad things at Fishy Business lol. Everyone who had ever referred me there, hadn't actually been there in 2+ years. Well, apparently over those 2+ years....things might have gone downhill lol. I haven't been there in months but that last few times I went, was not impressed. Actually, mildly offended lol.

If you still have those Fire and Ice Zoas, and they're growing I can buy a frag from you =D

Also, I'm currently upgrading to a 58 gallon but I kinda quit my job so that's on hold. But once the ball gets rolling, do you think you could help me with the plumbing of the sump/refugium? I have NO IDEA what I'm doing/looking at when it comes to plumbing...my boyfriend understands plumbing but not tanks and the purpose of a sump lol so I'm kinda at a loss =(((((( This wont be for a while until I get back on my feet lol.

I've heard things from customers of mine, and random people around town. Guess I'll have to skip that one then? Once the zoas are grown in a bit I will be fragging them, but that's probably a long time away.

And I can help you design it and come up with a parts list when you're ready, I'm not amazing with plumbing though.

Got a few frags today, but i dont have pictures because my macro lense sucks and i dont have a tripod. ill try to get decent pictures of my coral soon...anyways, i got a 3/4" ponape birdsnest with 2 nice branches (slightly bleached, but already showing nice PE), a 3/4" bubblegum chalice, and 4 polyps of purple death all for $20. Not too shabby, eh?

Looks like a lot of time spend planing this tank out! Very nice tank, Cant wait to see this thing stocked :]

Thanks, I can't wait either!

Okay, I ghetto rigged up a tripod out of some boxes and a step ladder (I know.... -_- ) and stole my macro lens off my old '70s Nikon. I managed to get some decent shots of my few meager corals.

Purple deaths:

DSC_0425.jpg

Chalice (any idea?):

DSC_0426.jpg

Ponape birds nest:

DSC_0428.jpg

Eagle eyes and 2 baby fire and ice:

DSC_0429.jpg

Baby frogspawn, blue hornets (blue steel?), and an angry frag of fire and ice:

DSC_0430.jpg

Blue ice and fire and ice?:

DSC_0431.jpg

FTS (the Vortech is there temporarily, as I'm working on a new enclosure for it):

DSC_0432.jpg

Corals look nice.

Why are you doing a new enclosure for the Vortech?

What will this involve?

The Vortech basically sits in a 4" piece of PVC, so there is a little bit of room on each side of it for play. The problem with this is that sand can get into the bottom of it, and when that happens it gets into the holes in the Vortech underneath the impeller, causing blockage.

I also have a problem with my dwarf ceriths getting down into the enclosure, and getting caught in the impeller.

My new idea is to keep this PVC, but add another piece that fits a little more snug to the Vortech itself, which will come up all the way above the Vortech. I will then cut holes down just enough to make sure that no sand is able to get into the holes, but will leave little pillars to hold up a screen of mesh all the way around the Vortech. This will stop pesky snails from getting in, while allowing water to flow fairly freely through it.

I know that probably is confusing as hell, but I'll take pictures when I'm done...

i am jealous. this tank looks so clean. when i got my ada tank, i was under the impression that it couldn't be drilled. after looking at your hidden overflow/return, i'm just picturing how much better my tank would look if mine were hidden.

keep up the good work....will be following.

i am jealous. this tank looks so clean. when i got my ada tank, i was under the impression that it couldn't be drilled. after looking at your hidden overflow/return, i'm just picturing how much better my tank would look if mine were hidden.

keep up the good work....will be following.

Thanks man! I had forgotton you had an ADA, if you're interested check out the ada link in my sig and ill add you to the list.

But yeah, having the ADA I really wanted to go with something super clean so I decided just to try to drill it. But I'm not sure exactly WHICH tanks are able to be drilled, so you might want to be careful.

You could always buy another ADA to drill, finish it and transfer everything over, then sell the old one. =P

You could always buy another ADA to drill, finish it and transfer everything over, then sell the old one. =P

man.... don't tempt me... :naughtydance:

nah... it seems like i've been workin' on my tank ever since i've gotten it. it's kinda nice to finally reach some sort of stability where i can just chill and enjoy the view. but i do know that when its time to buy a new tank its gonna be an ADA again. and now i know that it's most definitely gonna be drilled.

Just FYI< The Glass-Holes website (.com) has a list of tanks that can and cannot be drilled. Highly useful as exploding glass makes your gut tighten up real bad!!!! B)

Just FYI< The Glass-Holes website (.com) has a list of tanks that can and cannot be drilled. Highly useful as exploding glass makes your gut tighten up real bad!!!! B)

I couldn't find it, but maybe I just suck. Good info though!

Got some staining done on the wood, I think one more coat just because the wood shows through a bit still.

DSC_0424.jpg

I think Max misses his wood...

DSC_0420-1.jpg

Polyurethane once the last coat dries, the installation!

PS: Alison made cookies last night, so I made this:

DSC_0421-1.jpg

Archived