Innovative Marine Aquariums

schg's ADA 30c reef

schgr.cube

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ohh nice I would kill to get my hands on that light. It would be perfect for me 3g pico I'm building.

Ehehe thanks! I'm super excited to get it (probably on Monday next week?).

Does anyone know if the small ADA cubes are tempered or not? I know larger rimless require them for strength, but I wasn't sure if they used it for the tiny ones.

PS: I'm about 90% sure I'm switching to a 12" cube now.

So I've come to kind of a standstill with the tank. I currently am selling the glass tank for $30 which will go towards the new tank. I have a few options for what I will be getting, but none are really all that appealing price wise:

1. Custom made: $56 for the acrylic is the cheapest I can find so far. From there it will either be $30 for scooternerd to build it, or whatever the money would cost to buy weld on (still not a cheap option). Total cost for this is still looking to be at least $85.

2. Glass cages: They want $100 plus shipping for a 12" cube made of acrylic, which is obviously more expensive but I get the assurance of having it made by a company.

3. ADA Cube Garden: 12" cube made of lead free glass for $100 shipped. Very appealing for the same reason as above, but the lead free glass would be a great feature to keep in this build. Big problem is I still don't know if the smaller ADAs are tempered or not?

4. Local acrylic shop: I asked a local shop how much they would charge for this, but they still haven't gotten back to me. I doubt it will be any cheaper though :angry:

anyone have any ideas? I'm going for a VERY clean look.

DON'T buy from GlassCages, I've heard a ton of bad feedback on them.

It's a shame really, cause they're local to me.

LOL okay scratch that. Advance acrylics just quoted me $100 shipped for acrylic cube. Everythings around the same price :huh:

I dont think you can drill the smaller ADA tanks.

That's what I'm afraid of.

Get the ADA 12" Cube.

The low iron > acrylic any day.

Oh trust me, I agree. But if it is tempered then that ruins that immediately :angry:

i have both the ada 12 and 10in cubes. both are very nice quality. the 10in is regular class but its 46+shipping

Do you know if they are tempered or not? I know theres a way to tell without drilling, but that might be hard if they're filled lol.

"Hi Samuel,

This tank is not made of tampered glass, so it is possible to be drilled. However, it will void the warrenty if you drill hole on the tank. Please make your own judgement carefully. Thanky you.

Regards,

Steven Lo

Archaea Int'l Corp. DBA Aqua Forest Aquarium "

Cube%20Garden_30C_sml.jpg

I'm ordering as soon as the paypal hits Weetie lol!

hold on there. my first ada was drilled by a friend of mine, but it was standard glass. ADA has since moved to low iron glass, Im not sure if that type of glass is tempered. The DO!AQUA is standard glass, it's probably drillable.

I would check whether low iron is tempered in general as I've heard time and time again that it is.

hold on there. my first ada was drilled by a friend of mine, but it was standard glass. ADA has since moved to low iron glass, Im not sure if that type of glass is tempered. The DO!AQUA is standard glass, it's probably drillable.

I would check whether low iron is tempered in general as I've heard time and time again that it is.

When I e-mailed them I linked to the exact tank, but I will clarify and make sure before placing the order.

what are you trying to keep in this tank anyways, there might not be a need to drill it. Im working on a 25c with leds and mine isnt drilled.

what are you trying to keep in this tank anyways, there might not be a need to drill it. Im working on a 25c with leds and mine isnt drilled.

I'm just going for an incredddiibbllyyy clean look.

oh. you might want to consider the area of workable room and amount of flow you'd get from drilling though.

for example, a 1/2in bulkhead takes up roughly 1.5+in, and can handle 300gph. so a drain+a return might take up about 3-4in of workable space. You'd also wont be able to use the tank as a desktop tank again, depending on where you drill the bulkhead.

I think in this case, for tanks this small, it's better just to build a mock overflow and stick your pumps in there with a bag of carbon. You'd get the same gph as a drain, and you'd need a overflow anyways if you want a drain...for a clean look I mean. You can always use tape to hold down the cords so its still very clean overall...and a lot easier.

just my opinion though. That's the route Im taking. Minijet 606+ fake overflow w/cap. and a custom 6 emitter led system on a 9.8in cube.

oh. you might want to consider the area of workable room and amount of flow you'd get from drilling though.

for example, a 1/2in bulkhead takes up roughly 1.5+in, and can handle 300gph. so a drain+a return might take up about 3-4in of workable space. You'd also wont be able to use the tank as a desktop tank again, depending on where you drill the bulkhead.

I think in this case, for tanks this small, it's better just to build a mock overflow and stick your pumps in there with a bag of carbon. You'd get the same gph as a drain, and you'd need a overflow anyways if you want a drain...for a clean look I mean. You can always use tape to hold down the cords so its still very clean overall...and a lot easier.

just my opinion though. That's the route Im taking. Minijet 606+ fake overflow w/cap. and a custom 6 emitter led system on a 9.8in cube.

Yeah when I got the original cube, I had similar plans (and have even considered a rock wall to conceal the overflow) but since have changed my mind. When I settled on going for the super clean look, I told myself I am going to make it so absolutely no equipment is visible (including overflows and return nozzles). I also want to make this completely viewable from all angles.

I know this will be hard, but I have a few ideas in mind...and hey, if that doesn't work, I can always change my game plan again

yeah good luck, I'd like to see this tank in action. fwiw, i drew out 2 diff overflows, the sizes are

1. diamond overflow w. 2 pockets for media:3.25x 3.25 w/ cut off section (triangle omission of what would otherwise be a square) @ 2in

2. rectangular overflow:2.25x 2.75

I'm only bothering taking a picture of it on right now (since I got those pictures earlier from sammy).

I'll take more pictures of the unit once I get the tank and start on a way to hang it.

Please ignore the cyano, my R/O unit needs filter replacement:

DSC_0335-1.jpg

I'm pretty sure if I got optics and hung it a little bit above the tank, I could use it to light my 28G enough to grow my LPS and zoas. This will be perfect for the ADA :lol:

Archived