Pod Your Reef

PArIsHIlToN 5G PIcO tANk MiXEd REeF

parishilton

• Replies 874
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
parishilton

It has been a long time since my last update. I have been very busy.

Here is what new with the tank. Featured in Magazine

cover.jpg

3scan.jpg

scan1.jpg

Here is what new with the tank. Featured in Magazine

I've always thought your tank is one of the most artistic I've seen. The magazine recognition is well-deserved, wish I could get a copy.

Bravo! Well done!

• 4 weeks later...
parishilton

Another obstacle I had to face and overcome. I do not know exactly what happened to the tank. Some of SPS started dying. They started bleaching from the tips. I lost all the beautiful pieces (All in my sig.)

What I thought that could be the cause were ants. The tank went wrong after I found thousand of ants or so dying and floating in the RO bucket of ATO. I could be wrong about this but that was the only change that happened to the tank. I could not think of any other reason. May be my parameters went wrong or something but I did not do anything differently from what I usually do.

Let's take a look at what the tank looks like now.

img_2630.jpg

dang ants blew up your tank? :(

I too have seen insects drying and floating in places like the fuge and water reservoirs of my tanks. I check those frequently and remove any that drop in. I've seen spiders ants, flies, and the most messy is house moths (their scales dissolve in water and are probably not too good for the tank. these are a real pest) Yet i have not seen any adverse effects that involve bleaching or death from dead insects floating in the water.

Now thousands of dead ants can release their venom, some sort of acid into the water. in high enough concentration i believe it can lead to negative coral response. that is if there were indeed thousands- an entire colony or two in that reservoir lol.

Do you weekly check the ATO reservoir? that is the best way to spot any problems coming. Also rinse it out or change it out (I constantly keep swapping water jugs so that my reservoirs dont get smelly or stale.)

Best wishes to have your tank recover.

parishilton
pics good as always, that sucks about your loss. hope you figure out what went wrong.

Thank you

really sorry about your loss, but the tank is still gorgeous!

Thank you

dang ants blew up your tank? :(

I too have seen insects drying and floating in places like the fuge and water reservoirs of my tanks. I check those frequently and remove any that drop in. I've seen spiders ants, flies, and the most messy is house moths (their scales dissolve in water and are probably not too good for the tank. these are a real pest) Yet i have not seen any adverse effects that involve bleaching or death from dead insects floating in the water.

Now thousands of dead ants can release their venom, some sort of acid into the water. in high enough concentration i believe it can lead to negative coral response. that is if there were indeed thousands- an entire colony or two in that reservoir lol.

Do you weekly check the ATO reservoir? that is the best way to spot any problems coming. Also rinse it out or change it out (I constantly keep swapping water jugs so that my reservoirs dont get smelly or stale.)

Best wishes to have your tank recover.

Thank you for your input. I really don't know the exact amount. My bucket is about 5 inch diameter and the dead ants covered the entire water surface.

The other thing I do not understand was why only the big pieces that were affected (birdnest, blue mille, pink mille).

The tank still looks amazing but I'mv ery sorry to hear about the problems :(

Thank you animal

paris you didnt happen to get an alk reading/pH during the time you had trouble> an early morning reading of pH and alk would be a very helpful clue. it may not be anything, but id like to know

aside from water parameters it could also have been chemical warfare from other corals touching the affected corals (anthelia looks to be touching everything) Also other animals in the tank could have been the culprit. maybe the angel or some flatworms got hungry?

parishilton
paris you didnt happen to get an alk reading/pH during the time you had trouble> an early morning reading of pH and alk would be a very helpful clue. it may not be anything, but id like to know

I did not test anything Brandon. I did not have any tester at the time. I also thought about alk/ph but why

happened now not earlier. You may be right about this. I may have to start testing as you suggest that it would be helpful.

I would go crazy if I start testing. :D I know my parameter would not be ideal.

parishilton
aside from water parameters it could also have been chemical warfare from other corals touching the affected corals (anthelia looks to be touching everything) Also other animals in the tank could have been the culpit. maybe the angel or some flatworms got hungry?

Thank you Newman.

I also thought about that. Anthelia could have made the affected corals got worse. About angel, I have never seen the angel touching any corals in the tank. It only pick on rocks and algae at the outflow of the hang on filter.

I do not know about flatworms. I have never seen them on any corals. They are only on the rocks and on the floors. I try to control the population by sucking them out during WC. They are now a lot less than before.

Archived