ReefCleaners.org

PArIsHIlToN 5G PIcO tANk MiXEd REeF

parishilton

agreed Paris its probably in the top three best looking tanks ive seen online at this size in a decade.

One of the reasons it holds strong appeal to me is its undosed, and Ive been watching for a period where total ion consumption (coralline, coral growth, acidic binding of alk component in the water, shell calcification for animals etc) commands a more frequent change regimen. I feel strongly that at some point the system relying solely on water changes for ion replenishment will need an increased factor to keep up with the growth. Clearly this is the most Ive seen done in an undosed tank. yours and fabs tank are great to follow, its the simplest input with the most output. I can't grow anything without dosing, its just my way but I like seeing these other approaches in action growing way better sps than mine ever held. Its been a neat thread to follow. is it still popular over at siamreefclub ?

testing even just for pH would help alot to know, and the early morning before lights on is the lowest pH for a pico reef that doesn't have a counterlit refugium. it would be so neat to see a 7 am test and a 7pm test comparison of just pH alone. if its not that, good call on physical or chem issues. I have seen lots of anthelia touch other corals in PinkDamsels tanks so at least they aren't totally destructive, but you never know about intraspecies rubbing in the pico reef lol

• Replies 874
  • Created
  • Last Reply
parishilton
Still one of my favorite tanks, good luck with recovery

Friar

Thank you Friar.

agreed Paris its probably in the top three best looking tanks ive seen online at this size in a decade.

One of the reasons it holds strong appeal to me is its undosed, and Ive been watching for a period where total ion consumption (coralline, coral growth, acidic binding of alk component in the water, shell calcification for animals etc) commands a more frequent change regimen. I feel strongly that at some point the system relying solely on water changes for ion replenishment will need an increased factor to keep up with the growth. Clearly this is the most Ive seen done in an undosed tank. yours and fabs tank are great to follow, its the simplest input with the most output. I can't grow anything without dosing, its just my way but I like seeing these other approaches in action growing way better sps than mine ever held. Its been a neat thread to follow. is it still popular over at siamreefclub ?

testing even just for pH would help alot to know, and the early morning before lights on is the lowest pH for a pico reef that doesn't have a counterlit refugium. it would be so neat to see a 7 am test and a 7pm test comparison of just pH alone. if its not that, good call on physical or chem issues. I have seen lots of anthelia touch other corals in PinkDamsels tanks so at least they aren't totally destructive, but you never know about intraspecies rubbing in the pico reef lol

Thank you very much Brandon. I am sure the growth of my corals are not as good as the others' but I am happy with it. I think dosing could be very sensitive and I am not a cautious person. This might be my excuse.

May be the truth is that I am too lazy to do so. LOL

I think I will start testing PH and Alk. Thank you for your suggestion. The anthelia is under my watch. I recently fraged it and took it out.

parishilton
Wow! This tank has really matured nicely.

Thank you for stopping by my thread El Fab. I really love your jaw fish. I would love to get one for my bigger tank.

Some kind of chalice?

I think so. Actually. I just want to know the specific name of it. I actually do not really care but have seen many reefers love giving coral name. HEHE It would have been cool to know.

el fabuloso

I love my jawfish, I highly recommend them if you have the room. As for your chalice, you might want to post a photo in the gallery to see if anyone can jump in and help ID it.

parishilton

The Bird nest was not dead because of the Monti. It was dead because of the incident earlier.

I just notice that it has grown a lot since the last picture of it.

The last picture was taken in November, last year.

dsc0411.jpg

img_2744.jpg

img_2737.jpg

parishilton
I have a very small piece of birdsnest left from my pico and it's overrun with algae. I'm trying my best to save it. :(

That is what I am also doing with mine as you can see that some parts are still alive. But I think the chance is very tiny :(

My clam is also growing. You can see its new shell. Relly have a headache with flatworms. All I can do is sucking them out as many as I can during WC to control their population.

img_2764.jpg

img_2790.jpg

el fabuloso

Nice! I want more corals but I really need to get rid of my flatworms and all the nasty algae that has plagued my tank.

parishilton
i meant i am "digging" (liking) that last pic a lot

OH I see.

It would has been a lot better in the new pic if the birdnest was not dead. It should have grown a lot also.

parishilton
we are talking about the clam mantle/mushroom pic right? im confused..

Sry I thought you were talking about Monti and birdnest. Sorry my bad.

parishilton

Another new thing about my tank is that I changed the salt last month from Oceanic to local salt named Aquaraise. Oceanic is high quality salt. The reason I change is that the distributor in Thailand stops selling it. I also heard that Oceanic will be out of the business.

No negative effect from changing salt. Everything is perfect and growing normally.

man i wish my clam was that green :(

I dont think it would be possible though since mine is supposed to be gold lol.

parishilton
man i wish my clam was that green :(

I dont think it would be possible though since mine is supposed to be gold lol.

I lost my gold one because of the superman rhodactis mushroom. Its shell was covered by the damn shroom and cannot open for a week while I was on vacation.

Archived