ReefCleaners.org

Jacob's Temperate Tank. *ReefBuilders Mention!*

Jacobnano

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
happy early bday jake :)

Thanks Sam!

Jake what are you doing this weekend? Oh yeah thats right...nothing because your going to be out at the nearest beach collecting livestock ;). How big is there mouth right now?

Haha not gonna happen, 5 hours away man. The mouths have been taking in krill (haha) about the diameter of a pencil or two.

post pics, then you can have your birthday....

:flower:

Haha they are uploading right now :)

Probably (LxWxH) 12x18x12? Not too bad. Was kinda loud at first but I have gotten used to it. Also, it is hardly ever on. Probably for like 10 minutes every hour.

Thanks mike! Ya I just got the bioballs in there today, so I think my bacteria should start to grow.

I was thinking about your filtration issues because I'm designing a small cold water system now. From the pictures it looks like the only space you have for bioballs is in that little black overflow box, so space might be an issue. In case you're not done with the bio ball issue, or if you start having water quality problems as you put more animals in your tank, here are some things I've learned about it from my tank.

Here's what I know works:

I've been running a cold water octopus tank (very high food/waste) with about 50 gallons of water and about 6.5 gallons of bio-balls in a wet/dry trickle filter. Based on that, I can say that a volume of bio ball equal to 13% of the volume of water, is enough to easily keep ammonia and nitrites down to 0 in a heavily fed cold water tank. My bio balls are in a wet/dry trickle filter, which I think makes them work much better than if they were submerged. I have a pre-filter (nylon batting from the fabric store) which I replace ever few days. Without a pre-filter the bio balls quickly get clogged with junk and cause problems.

At 13% a 15 gallon tank would need as much as 1.95 gallons of bio balls. I've read that nylon pot scrubbers (like plastic woven balls about 3" across) have 3 to 4 times more surface area than the same volume of bio-balls, and so can do the job in a much smaller space. It only takes 3.7% of your water volume in nylon pot scrubbers to do the same job as 13% of your water volume in bio balls. That means that a 15 gallon tank only needs 0.56 gallons of nylon pot scrubbers to get the job done, and that's a lot easier to find room for. Others have reported very good results with nylon pot scrubbers.

I should say that while this kind of filter is fantastic at housing aerobic bacteria, it does nothing to promote the growth of anaerobic bacteria (which eat nitrates), so nitrates will build up in your water, requiring either frequent water changes, or some kind of nitrate reduction (live rock promotes both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria, so no nitrate issues with that scheme) I have a deep sand bed that can't quite keep up with my nitrates, so I'm going to add a "remote deep sand bed" to solve that problem. Also, you'll need to rinse the bio balls or pot scrubbers in used tank water when detritus builds up (every six months or so) or else the detritus will rot and cause problems.

I hope you, or someone, finds my results useful.

look interesting jake! Wow so what are your plans for the tank. It be cool if you can get your hands on those florescent anemones :)

I was thinking about your filtration issues because I'm designing a small cold water system now. From the pictures it looks like the only space you have for bioballs is in that little black overflow box, so space might be an issue. In case you're not done with the bio ball issue, or if you start having water quality problems as you put more animals in your tank, here are some things I've learned about it from my tank.

Here's what I know works:

I've been running a cold water octopus tank (very high food/waste) with about 50 gallons of water and about 6.5 gallons of bio-balls in a wet/dry trickle filter. Based on that, I can say that a volume of bio ball equal to 13% of the volume of water, is enough to easily keep ammonia and nitrites down to 0 in a heavily fed cold water tank. My bio balls are in a wet/dry trickle filter, which I think makes them work much better than if they were submerged. I have a pre-filter (nylon batting from the fabric store) which I replace ever few days. Without a pre-filter the bio balls quickly get clogged with junk and cause problems.

At 13% a 15 gallon tank would need as much as 1.95 gallons of bio balls. I've read that nylon pot scrubbers (like plastic woven balls about 3" across) have 3 to 4 times more surface area than the same volume of bio-balls, and so can do the job in a much smaller space. It only takes 3.7% of your water volume in nylon pot scrubbers to do the same job as 13% of your water volume in bio balls. That means that a 15 gallon tank only needs 0.56 gallons of nylon pot scrubbers to get the job done, and that's a lot easier to find room for. Others have reported very good results with nylon pot scrubbers.

I should say that while this kind of filter is fantastic at housing aerobic bacteria, it does nothing to promote the growth of anaerobic bacteria (which eat nitrates), so nitrates will build up in your water, requiring either frequent water changes, or some kind of nitrate reduction (live rock promotes both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria, so no nitrate issues with that scheme) I have a deep sand bed that can't quite keep up with my nitrates, so I'm going to add a "remote deep sand bed" to solve that problem. Also, you'll need to rinse the bio balls or pot scrubbers in used tank water when detritus builds up (every six months or so) or else the detritus will rot and cause problems.

I hope you, or someone, finds my results useful.

Thanks, that was very helpful. I might switch out the some bioballs for some nylon. I don't want to switch out all of them but I can see why they would be way more efficient.

look interesting jake! Wow so what are your plans for the tank. It be cool if you can get your hands on those florescent anemones :)

Thanks! Umm mostly add whatever I happen to find. I will probably add some more stupid stuff becuase I am a newb but I will try not to add too many haha. Ya those strawberry nems, I think that is what you are talking about, are amazing. Jamie has them haha, I hope to get some haha.

Your tank looks way clean! :happy:

Ya it always clean lol. Never cleaned it since I set it up but with the light hardly ever on (no need) it doesn't gan any algae. But I plan on bring back some cool macro algaes and see how they do.

Also, my snails have killed almost all of my clams and eaten them lol. They are cool, but I might take them out. I have a ton of them so I dunno. Gonna stick with chitons from now on.

Yeah, in my experience, those snails are just a pain. Black turban snails are safe, but hermit crabs tend to kill them and steal their shells, so chitons and limpets are probably the best for algae control.

Tank is looking great, your anemones look really happy! :)

Ya maybe I will bring them back up there the next time I go. They are neat looking though. I guess I will remove all snails except the black ones lol. And my chiton and baby limpets of course. I really don't have that much of an algae problem but eh.

Thanks, yea they are looking much better. The pics are kinda crappy, I can't take tank pics to save my life. Either way the look happy haha

HAPPY DAY OF BIRTHING! (again) :D

im going to go ahead and send you a birthday present...if you pay shipping. :P

:haha:

have a great B-day.

PS you tank needs a flounder. ;)

im going to go ahead and send you a birthday present...if you pay shipping. :P

:haha:

have a great B-day.

PS you tank needs a flounder. ;)

LOLZ