inTank Media Baskets

Jacob's Temperate Tank. *ReefBuilders Mention!*

Jacobnano

animalmaster6
Ya I want to find one, but being so rare I am not getting my hopes up haha.

haha Spiny Lumpsuckers are just so Awesome!

What do u expect to find this ttrip? Any fish?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
even if you dont get one any other fish will be super sweet in the tank

Ya. If I don't find one I am going to try and find a neon green bullhead, its a little sculpin thing that lives in the tidepools.

haha Spiny Lumpsuckers are just so Awesome!

What do u expect to find this ttrip? Any fish?

Ya they are, buuut so rare haha.

Oh I always find/eat fish when I go up there. And almost everytime see a different interesting creature, hooded nudibranchs, to brittle stars its just a lotta fun. I will probably be outside 99% of the day lol. And I will be taking lots of pics :)

animalmaster6
Nope no internet up there.

That's good and bad

good- No technology for a few days so you can focus on nature B)

bad- You can't give us updates or pics till you get back! :angry:-_-

Yep... "returnofsid", ... Top notch folks!!! B)

+1

coldwater nems are cool, where are all the rare chitons I have heard about? ;)

how long did the tank take to cycle? i heard it goes slow in temperate tanks

Haha I have one if you look back through the pics, I will probably bring back another. It took about 3 months. It is slow and annoying but worth it.

You should set up a temperate tank John, we could do some trading :)

eh....i would be afraid to go near it. me and the cold dont get along. i have been trying to talk myself into going outside tonight, it hasn't gone well, and it is only like 65. i also have a dislike for chillers, they send out so much heat in the summer...

3 months isnt too bad, there was a cool macro planted tank coldwater thread around here somewhere....eh..having a hard time finding it...well anyway he had to wait like 8 months or something....I have to find this tank for you, it is awesome and temperate at the same time...2 things you would like about it...

I am preeeety sure I have seen it, it changes as the seasons change right?

Yea they do (paragraphs in wrong order stay with me here lol) buuuut if you have a temperate tank you are special :)

The cycle does take a while, but eh I think it is worth it.

I am back everyone!

Well after my long awaited trip to my cabin I am back. For a little background info for those who don't want to read the thread, my family has property on Shaw Island, it is the island in the middle of the San Juan Islands (the main ones anyway) in the Puget Sound. My dad and my grandpa have been going there since they were little and everyone has enjoyed it. We find tons of stuff up there, from arrowheads, native american burial sites, to angler fish, to you name it someone in my family has found it haha.

I recently got back from my second trip up there since I have had my aquarium set-up and this time came back with some goodies, and this time to a cycled tank! The tank is looking better literally every minute and the anemones are more open as I am typing this than in the pictures I took a few min ago. At this point I really don't want to name every single thing I brought back, but I brought back: some "bullheads" or sculpin I believe, a Gunnel a very neat eel the same as Jamie's Jim :), and some inverts. Those include a couple anemones, some large and some small. More info on them later. I also brought back two nudibranch. No hear me out, I know what they eat and when. These nudis are at the end of their lifespan, they have come to the shallows to lay eggs and die. So I brought back two (It was neat, I saw 20+ all over the docks). The nudi ((s) actually) I brought back feed on bryzoans and sea squirts, which I have provided haha, well not the bryzoans. Dirona Pellucida is the one I found spawning on the docks. The other I also found on the docks, which is really fun, seeing something so colorful mixed in. I don't have a link yet, but they are basically a Sea Lemon, that eats sea squirts. I also brought back a couple starfish, including an ochre star and another blue and green one that I forgot the name of. Both will eat clams I buy for them (thanks Jamie :)). Finally I brought back a bunch of shrimp. All different colors which is neat. One is clear witha white stripe and black spots, another green and another red. Finally some brown and multicolored ones. Anyway they are neat and seem to be doing well.

The plan now to get everything eating. I was observing my tank a little white something floated by one of my bullheads, it was immediately eaten, then spit back out (It wasn't food). I am pretty certain I will be able to train everything onto frozen pretty easily. That, feeding my nems, and keeping my nitrates and pest algae down while still keeping my nitrates down will be the next problem. But I will handle it one step at a time. Thanks everyone for the help and for following along!

The pics are uploading, well kinda. Photobucket is acting weird, but they will be here soon!

animalmaster6
I am back everyone!

Well after my long awaited trip to my cabin I am back. For a little background info for those who don't want to read the thread, my family has property on Shaw Island, it is the island in the middle of the San Juan Islands (the main ones anyway) in the Puget Sound. My dad and my grandpa have been going there since they were little and everyone has enjoyed it. We find tons of stuff up there, from arrowheads, native american burial sites, to angler fish, to you name it someone in my family has found it haha.

I recently got back from my second trip up there since I have had my aquarium set-up and this time came back with some goodies, and this time to a cycled tank! The tank is looking better literally every minute and the anemones are more open as I am typing this than in the pictures I took a few min ago. At this point I really don't want to name every single thing I brought back, but I brought back: some "bullheads" or sculpin I believe, a Gunnel a very neat eel the same as Jamie's Jim :), and some inverts. Those include a couple anemones, some large and some small. More info on them later. I also brought back two nudibranch. No hear me out, I know what they eat and when. These nudis are at the end of their lifespan, they have come to the shallows to lay eggs and die. So I brought back two (It was neat, I saw 20+ all over the docks). The nudi ((s) actually) I brought back feed on bryzoans and sea squirts, which I have provided haha, well not the bryzoans. Dirona Pellucida is the one I found spawning on the docks. The other I also found on the docks, which is really fun, seeing something so colorful mixed in. I don't have a link yet, but they are basically a Sea Lemon, that eats sea squirts. I also brought back a couple starfish, including an ochre star and another blue and green one that I forgot the name of. Both will eat clams I buy for them (thanks Jamie :)). Finally I brought back a bunch of shrimp. All different colors which is neat. One is clear witha white stripe and black spots, another green and another red. Finally some brown and multicolored ones. Anyway they are neat and seem to be doing well.

The plan now to get everything eating. I was observing my tank a little white something floated by one of my bullheads, it was immediately eaten, then spit back out (It wasn't food). I am pretty certain I will be able to train everything onto frozen pretty easily. That, feeding my nems, and keeping my nitrates and pest algae down while still keeping my nitrates down will be the next problem. But I will handle it one step at a time. Thanks everyone for the help and for following along!

The pics are uploading, well kinda. Photobucket is acting weird, but they will be here soon!

:happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance: Where are the pics? Still uploading?

That is one fatty starfish! The dirona is massive, too. Did you keep those orange eggs? They look like fish eggs of some sort.l There is a type of sculpin that lays it's eggs so that they are exposed at low tide - could be one of those. That little Urticina in the first picture is so cute! Did you keep it? fingerscrossed for no crashes this time!

That is one fatty starfish! The dirona is massive, too. Did you keep those orange eggs? They look like fish eggs of some sort.l There is a type of sculpin that lays it's eggs so that they are exposed at low tide - could be one of those. That little Urticina in the first picture is so cute! Did you keep it? fingerscrossed for no crashes this time!

Yea they are both huge haha. I think I kept them, I will have to look. Yes I have the little Urticina, it is actually open and really happy right now, I will get a pic of it later :)

And yeah I am hoping for that too haha.

animalmaster6

The tank looks really awesome jacob! Definetly my favorite Coldwater tank I've ver seen! I love the Nudi and Sculpin!

Your cabin looks stunning!

The tank looks really awesome jacob! Definetly my favorite Coldwater tank I've ver seen! I love the Nudi and Sculpin!

Your cabin looks stunning!

Haha thanks. I am going to clean the glass and maybe get some more pics, everything is looking much better, more so than those pics haha.

Thanks, I love it up there. No internet no TV it's my kinda place B)

animalmaster6
Haha thanks. I am going to clean the glass and maybe get some more pics, everything is looking much better, more so than those pics haha.

Thanks, I love it up there. No internet no TV it's my kinda place B)

I'll be here, waiting for lots of pics! :)

Archived