inTank Media Baskets

Jacob's Temperate Tank. *ReefBuilders Mention!*

Jacobnano

I have been having really high nirates all week and everything has been really pissed off (spike in the cycle), then today all of my anemones are starting to open up again! I tested my water and nitrates are basically undetectable and nitrites are at 0!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saltwater doesn't freeze haha (well it does, but it doesn't get thaaat cold). By the shore it is a little but not much.

Silly californians... the water here is like, mid fifties, not mid thirties. Rarely gets into the high forties in puget sound even if it's really cold out. :)

nanoreefnate

well ive been to tahoe for 4 years straight and from what ive read and seen from plaques and docents, tahoe has never frozen. only around emerald hay has it ever frozen over. also...please post a more descriptive pic... that could be from any continent.

also, directly from Wikipedia.

Lake Tahoe never freezes.[30] Since 1970, it has mixed to a depth of at least 1,300 ft (400 m) a total of 6 or 7 times. Dissolved oxygen is relatively high from top to bottom. Analysis of the temperature records in Lake Tahoe has shown that the lake warmed (between 1969 and 2002) at an average rate of 0.015 °C per year. The warming is caused primarily by increasing air temperatures, and secondarily by increasing downward long-wave radiation. The warming trend is reducing the frequency of deep mixing in the lake, and may have important effects on water clarity and nutrient cycling.

linky to main article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Tahoe

Oh that picture was just showing places where it does freeze for days more specifically the north pole. Not tahoe. I'm glad that southern cal (the best part :P) never freezes.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice! I really like your aquascape (not that you asked, but IMO a black backing on the tank would really bring out the 'nems). I look forward to following this tank build...I love coldwater setups, though I've never tried one myself. :)

Nice! I really like your aquascape (not that you asked, but IMO a black backing on the tank would really bring out the 'nems). I look forward to following this tank build...I love coldwater setups, though I've never tried one myself. :)

Thanks! And actually the back is painted black :) Well the tan is all built, I just need to get some more stuff haha

He looks like he got bigger.

I know right? The little pink/orangish one is my favorite and hes growin!

Archived