SaltCritters.com

Jacob's Temperate Tank. *ReefBuilders Mention!*

Jacobnano

I am hoping Jamie will chime in haha

Yea whatever they are, they are neat.

Thanks! The macros are fun and have shown a lot of growth over about a 1 month period.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I decided to take a few more pics because everything looked pretty happy. The urchin pic is terrible I know, but they look really neat in person haha. I need a macro lens. Oh well heres some updated pics :)

anothercurrentFTS.jpg

IMG_6583.jpg

IMG_6587.jpg

IMG_6588.jpg

IMG_6589.jpg

IMG_6590.jpg

IMG_6591.jpg

IMG_6593.jpg

IMG_6594.jpg

IMG_6595.jpg

IMG_6596.jpg

IMG_6597.jpg

IMG_6598.jpg

IMG_6599.jpg

IMG_6600.jpg

IMG_6601.jpg

IMG_6602.jpg

IMG_6603.jpg

• Like 1

Such happy little nems. :wub: Are they harder to take care of than tropical species--say a BTA--or about the same, do you think?

This thread is making me want to snorkel/dive off the coast of the Pacific Northwest more than ever. :)

Such happy little nems. :wub: Are they harder to take care of than tropical species--say a BTA--or about the same, do you think?

This thread is making me want to snorkel/dive off the coast of the Pacific Northwest more than ever. :)

I think they are easier in some senses. They are incredibly tough, the meditriums can survive basically a cycle, but they require feedings since they are non photosynthetic. It is really a trade off, I really like them though :)

You should! I really need to, maybe this summer, and a drysuit is a good idea.

I love that nudi you have!

It's also really cool how the nems are on the glass!

Thanks, he eats tunicates though, but he is very pretty.

Yea they have been there for a while, it is pretty neat seeing the bottom of them in detail.

Great looking nems, and that nudi is gorgeous, do you think it will survive?

I've been planning my own CW setup, and have a few questions/ideas that i'd like some of your input on:

I've been thinking of getting a Peltier Cell instead of a legitimate chiller, do you think it'll work?

since i'm a big fan of biofiltration, I am considering attaching a fuge w/ macro for nutrient export, or an algae screen like on my current system. Do you think it would be a good way to remove nitrates and reduce water changes?

sorry to hijack :)

Great looking nems, and that nudi is gorgeous, do you think it will survive?

I've been planning my own CW setup, and have a few questions/ideas that i'd like some of your input on:

I've been thinking of getting a Peltier Cell instead of a legitimate chiller, do you think it'll work?

since i'm a big fan of biofiltration, I am considering attaching a fuge w/ macro for nutrient export, or an algae screen like on my current system. Do you think it would be a good way to remove nitrates and reduce water changes?

sorry to hijack :)

Thanks! Yea I don't expect it to live long, it has already been there for over a month though, and their natural life span in the wild really isn't much longer so I think I did a pretty good job care wise.

Right on.

Depends on tank size. I would personally go with a regular chiller unless you are doing a small aquarium.

Very cool idea. You should also consider having room for bio media. In warm water it is frowned on, but in CW tanks bioballs and what not are very important. As for the macros you could do display macros like I am and do basically the same thing. I will cut these back often and throw them or trade them to others.

Thanks! Yea I don't expect it to live long, it has already been there for over a month though, and their natural life span in the wild really isn't much longer so I think I did a pretty good job care wise.

Right on.

Depends on tank size. I would personally go with a regular chiller unless you are doing a small aquarium.

Very cool idea. You should also consider having room for bio media. In warm water it is frowned on, but in CW tanks bioballs and what not are very important. As for the macros you could do display macros like I am and do basically the same thing. I will cut these back often and throw them or trade them to others.

It will probably be a 10 or 2 tens strung together and maybe a sump. so total water wouldn't exceed 30 gallons.

The bio media would be included I guess.

From what I read on steve weast's coldwater tank, nuisance algae was a problem for him with the increased lighting, what's your experience with this? What is your lighting regimen?

I was thinking of starting with an 16hr photoperiod on the macro part since thats what I use on my algae screen set up now, since its function is nutrient export and doesn't need to look good.

It will probably be a 10 or 2 tens strung together and maybe a sump. so total water wouldn't exceed 30 gallons.

The bio media would be included I guess.

From what I read on steve weast's coldwater tank, nuisance algae was a problem for him with the increased lighting, what's your experience with this? What is your lighting regimen?

I was thinking of starting with an 16hr photoperiod on the macro part since thats what I use on my algae screen set up now, since its function is nutrient export and doesn't need to look good.

For that much water I would really think about getting a regular chiller, with all of that moving water going to a sump and being exposed to air in so many different spots I don't know if the peltier could handle it.

It is important to have it. He may be having the problem because his lights are brighter, had a lot of big fish, and maybe didn't do water changes as often. I dunno mine isn't too bad.

Right your going to be using a scrubber. Personally I would recommend a fuge, or display macros for more efficient nutrient export but it is up to you haha.

For that much water I would really think about getting a regular chiller, with all of that moving water going to a sump and being exposed to air in so many different spots I don't know if the peltier could handle it.

It is important to have it. He may be having the problem because his lights are brighter, had a lot of big fish, and maybe didn't do water changes as often. I dunno mine isn't too bad.

Right your going to be using a scrubber. Personally I would recommend a fuge, or display macros for more efficient nutrient export but it is up to you haha.

I see there needs to be much more planning done on my part, and many more variables to consider, to make certain I buy the proper equipment when the time comes. :) thanks for the info.

As far as peltiers go, for that size tank, the price of the number of peltier devices would probbly equal or exceed a reasonable sized refrigerant-based chiller. For example, Pacific Coast Imports makes a thermoelectric chiller that is rated for up to 10 gallons (and that's for cooling a few degrees, not the 15 or so you would need for coldwater) and it costs around 250 dollars. So my advice - a normal, factory made chiller will be more effective and cheaper for you needs. :)

Jacob, to your anemone question: I'm not really sure what's going on. This is what typical budding would look like.

http://www.oceaneyephoto.com/photo_2309095.html

It looks more like an injury/malformation to me, but I really don't know. You'll have to keep us updated on if it ever develops.

As far as the purple thing, I'd need a clearer picture to guarantee the tunicate ID. It looks kind of like a small colony, but it could be other things as well.

As far as peltiers go, for that size tank, the price of the number of peltier devices would probbly equal or exceed a reasonable sized refrigerant-based chiller. For example, Pacific Coast Imports makes a thermoelectric chiller that is rated for up to 10 gallons (and that's for cooling a few degrees, not the 15 or so you would need for coldwater) and it costs around 250 dollars. So my advice - a normal, factory made chiller will be more effective and cheaper for you needs. :)

Jacob, to your anemone question: I'm not really sure what's going on. This is what typical budding would look like.

http://www.oceaneyephoto.com/photo_2309095.html

It looks more like an injury/malformation to me, but I really don't know. You'll have to keep us updated on if it ever develops.

As far as the purple thing, I'd need a clearer picture to guarantee the tunicate ID. It looks kind of like a small colony, but it could be other things as well.

My thoughts as well on the chiller.

Yea I thought it looked different, but it just seems weird.

That would make sense I guess. Should I do anything or just keep feeding it like I have been?

I will try, but it tough, the thing is tiny, like pinhead size.

As far as peltiers go, for that size tank, the price of the number of peltier devices would probbly equal or exceed a reasonable sized refrigerant-based chiller.

+1

Also, peltiers use about 5 times more electricity as a traditional chiller for the same amount of cooling, so you will pay 5 times more to run it, and pump 5 times more hot air into your room. I think peltiers are only appropriate for very small tanks (< 5 gal?) where pump type chillers are overkill. I recommend that you get a used chiller on Craigslist. If you live in a big city you can easily find a 1/6th to 1/4th hp chiller for around $200 used.

just keep doing what you've been doing, it looks happy. :)

Cool will do haha.

+1

Also, peltiers use about 5 times more electricity as a traditional chiller for the same amount of cooling, so you will pay 5 times more to run it, and pump 5 times more hot air into your room. I think peltiers are only appropriate for very small tanks (< 5 gal?) where pump type chillers are overkill. I recommend that you get a used chiller on Craigslist. If you live in a big city you can easily find a 1/6th to 1/4th hp chiller for around $200 used.

And a +1

I used two Ice Probes on my 5.5 Gal CW tank and it was not enough to bring it down to what I expected.

Even during chilly nights the coolest my tank got was about 58 degrees at best. Recommend a commercial

chiller.

Was thinking about an algae scrubber but was wondering if the lighting would bring up the heat. LEDS

might work. Maybe well placed macro algae balanced out with number of snails in the tank would help with nutrient export.

H

I guess i'll skip the peltier, found some chillers on craigslist for a decent price.

As for the scrubber, it does bring temps up on my tropical tank, a degree or two and causes a lot of evaporation, but I do run that light for 16hrs. Might not be ideal for CW, but i'll give it a try. keeps all the parameters at 0 efficiently.

animalmaster6
Yea I thought so too, at the same time my mollusk eating friend was kind of weirding me out.

What? :wacko:

What was your "mollusk eating friend" doing?

Archived