Top Shelf Aquatics

The Official All Solana Owner's Thread

d'Espresso

Thing is I don't think my wife will let me buy more rock, so I need to "clean" this rock...how about I bathe each piece, one per week, in a freshwater bath or something that will kill them?

no it wont...you dont have any local reef forums? they are always giving rock away...man if you were in fl i just gave away about 40-50lbs of real nice rock...

TriggerHappyDude
no it wont...you dont have any local reef forums? they are always giving rock away...man if you were in fl i just gave away about 40-50lbs of real nice rock...

I do have some local forums, what should I ask for? Just rock, not LIVE ROCK right?

LR cost $$, but some cooked rock or something else?

I do have some local forums, what should I ask for? Just rock, not LIVE ROCK right?

LR cost $$, but some cooked rock or something else?

no get LR thats what i gave away...just search the forum and also ask you'll find some trust me...

How come none of you experts ever mentioned Berghia to me? :rolleyes:

http://www.saltyunderground.com/

http://www.berghia.net/marketprice.html

lol...you remind me of the kid who didnt belive fire burned so he put his hand in the flame...most marine biologist know very little about nudis feeding Habits i seriously doubt these guys do either. But good luck anyway let us know how it turns out...

TriggerHappyDude
lol...you remind me of the kid who didnt belive fire burned so he put his hand in the flame...most marine biologist know very little about nudis feeding Habits i seriously doubt these guys do either. But good luck anyway let us know how it turns out...

Well, I found out about them from the local forums, where others were speaking first hand on how they cleared their tanks up...so I figured they were a good idea as well...

Not sure if these pictures are large enough for you to see the amount I'm dealing with?

IMG_6747-1.jpg

IMG_6748-1.jpg

IMG_6749-1.jpg

IMG_6750-1.jpg

IMG_6751-1.jpg

IMG_6752-1.jpg

IMG_6753-1.jpg

IMG_6754-1.jpg

Edited by TriggerHappyDude
burnofvengeance
From my understanding the sapphire aquatics solana skimmer is the same thing as the NC 24 skimmer but they include an acrylic stand to elevate it....do I really need the stand or can I use something else?

Well to answer my own question, since I got tired of trying to hear from sapphire aquatics with no luck, yes they are the same skimmer. All that needs to be done is to have a stand, which i diy out of acrylic, to bring it to the right height. Just in case any one else was in the same dilemma as me.

Triggerhappydude- I have had great success with peppermint shrimp for eliminating aptasia. I had a big problem with aptasia with my 54 gal reef and put 2 shrimp in and within a few days they ate all (50+) of the aptasia I had and never had a problem again.

Does any one need a double switch controller autotopoff? Here is the description from the site i have bought this 6 months ago autotopoff Everything is perfectly working fine.

$40.00 plus free shipping to anywhere in the U.S only.

also i have here is a Sapphire Aquatics skimmer, here is the desciption from the site i have purchase from sapphire aquatic skimmer It is too perfectly working fine.

IMG_0006.jpg

look how flush that skimmer is sitting inside the tank.

IMG_0024.jpg

$100.00 plus free shipping!!!

34 gallon Solana tank only up for sale for $200.00 or best offer local pickup only. i can not ship this tank out due to alot of breaking tank issue with other company shipment. sorry :(

IMG_0233.jpg

Local pickup will be discounted

Sadly to say, things in life for me is not going so good right now. Work, Health hospital bills and a lots of other stress issues is plying on top that is just not working out at the moment. i hate to see this tank go but it have to go for now.

So now i am trying to let go of this beautiful tank with other accessories, if anyone is interested or lived close to 39401 and would like to pick up some items. i probably throw in some cool frags.

Please pm me. thanks -david

TriggerHappyDude
Triggerhappydude- I have had great success with peppermint shrimp for eliminating aptasia. I had a big problem with aptasia with my 54 gal reef and put 2 shrimp in and within a few days they ate all (50+) of the aptasia I had and never had a problem again.

Well I added two of them yesterday, in hopes of this. What is a "few days"? I plan to add some of the Berghia Nudibranch this weekend, to help out. Sounds like I'm taking the right steps. Thanks for the positive reinforcement on the peppermints!

NirvanaandTool

Trigger - from your pic it looks like you have a bunch of bigger aiptasia there. I've had mixed success with pep shrimp and mine at least ignored big aiptasia. I'd help them out and kill as many large ones so you can and let them clean up the smaller ones. I kind of feel the small ones are more bite size so they are easier to eat for the peps.

I use Aiptasia-X for killing then right now and it works well. I only see one or two every two weeks or so but I still want a pep to get the ones I can't see inside the rockwork.

D'expresso - sorry to hear that you are selling your tank. Hope things work out for you! Good luck and hope you can get back into the hobby soon!

TriggerHappyDude
Trigger - from your pic it looks like you have a bunch of bigger aiptasia there. I've had mixed success with pep shrimp and mine at least ignored big aiptasia. I'd help them out and kill as many large ones so you can and let them clean up the smaller ones. I kind of feel the small ones are more bite size so they are easier to eat for the peps.

I use Aiptasia-X for killing then right now and it works well. I only see one or two every two weeks or so but I still want a pep to get the ones I can't see inside the rockwork.

Yep, I think thats why there are some many, I doubt the peppermints will touch the big ones, and there are lots, but I plan to give those lower right two rocks to a local reefer who needs the aiptasia to help his hungry nudis eat. In return I'll get some clean rocks and he'll give me some nudi eggs to hatch and they will eventually eat them as well. I have some of the Aitasia-X like stuff, and have used it, but they seem to come back more and more; I don't have a great applicator and I seem to not be able to apply that stuff on them as well. So I'm going a more natural predator route...

NirvanaandTool
Yep, I think thats why there are some many, I doubt the peppermints will touch the big ones, and there are lots, but I plan to give those lower right two rocks to a local reefer who needs the aiptasia to help his hungry nudis eat. In return I'll get some clean rocks and he'll give me some nudi eggs to hatch and they will eventually eat them as well. I have some of the Aitasia-X like stuff, and have used it, but they seem to come back more and more; I don't have a great applicator and I seem to not be able to apply that stuff on them as well. So I'm going a more natural predator route...

Ah thats a good idea. Nice trade.

Do you not have the syringe that the Aiptasia-X came with? That works fine for me for treating the problem. You just need to be steady with it and slowly move it up to the aiptasia so they close around the tip and pull it into their mouth, then inject the solution into them which will kill them. But the trick is to make sure you get it inside their mouth or else I dont think it kills them all the way. Also, turn off your powerheads while doing this to make sure the aiptasia cant release any spores into the current. That way you can just coat the area of the rock it was on with the solution to kill any residual bit that is left.

Oh and if you notice any Majano anemones in your tank (another pesky nem hitchhiker) kill them immediately with an Aiptasia killing solution (like Aiptasia-X) because peps and nudis wont eat them.

Here's a pic of a Majano above a Aiptasia.

majanosaips3.jpg

TriggerHappyDude

Ok, I think that was my mistake on the last few doses of my Aiptasia Control (the stuff I'm using) I didn't turn off the pumps, and yes I got a syringe, but it clogged up and hardened up and I can't really use it anymore, so I'm using some other one I had around the house, its ok but its more an issue of my Aiptasia Control solution...part of it is hard and part is liquid, but I can't seem to get it into a mushy enough gooey state to suck it into the syringe or spit it out of it etc...not sure this is good stuff, maybe Aiptasia-X is a better product...? Sounds like it, thing is last few times I've used this stuff I didn't turn off the pumps and I think maybe thats why I have about 50+ of these things around, I must have spread the spores! Dangit. Dummy.

On a separate issue, I introduced my new False Percula Clown and 2 Peppermint shrimp yesterday and my Yellow Watchman Goby has not come out of hiding, guessing he's freaked out and will adjust soon and come out again?

NirvanaandTool
Ok, I think that was my mistake on the last few doses of my Aiptasia Control (the stuff I'm using) I didn't turn off the pumps, and yes I got a syringe, but it clogged up and hardened up and I can't really use it anymore, so I'm using some other one I had around the house, its ok but its more an issue of my Aiptasia Control solution...part of it is hard and part is liquid, but I can't seem to get it into a mushy enough gooey state to suck it into the syringe or spit it out of it etc...not sure this is good stuff, maybe Aiptasia-X is a better product...? Sounds like it, thing is last few times I've used this stuff I didn't turn off the pumps and I think maybe thats why I have about 50+ of these things around, I must have spread the spores! Dangit. Dummy.

On a separate issue, I introduced my new False Percula Clown and 2 Peppermint shrimp yesterday and my Yellow Watchman Goby has not come out of hiding, guessing he's freaked out and will adjust soon and come out again?

Ah I understand. I've never used that product so Im not sure on how good it is but it sounds like Aiptasia-X is better just for ease of use. Just suck up the solution and go and then rinse out the syringe with fresh water when you are done. I've also heard Joe's Juice Aiptasia solution is another good chemical treatment.

Ah nice. Yea he's probably just hiding and getting used to the newcomers. You'll see him in a day or two I bet.

I was going to add my 2 Occelaris clowns tonight but I ended up going back home to my parents house to get some SPS from my brother. They werent doing too hot in his tank so Im going to try to save them in my Solana. He bought his 90g used and got a less than mediocre set of 175W MH retros and they dont see to grow SPS very well. So Im going to keep his SPS until he can upgrade to a nice set of Icecap 250s. Got another orange digi frag, 2 green slimer acro frags, rose milli frag and a blastomussa frag (lps but not doing good lately). Next time I go over I'll have to frag myself some of his softies like his green ricordea or his kenya trees.

I'll add the clowns to the tank in a few days after I let the tank get used to the extra bioload from these new frags.

Anyone running a 250w with a 20k bulb? Or even just a 150w with a 20k in it? Just ordered a 250w Sunpod and was wanting to use a 20k, but was getting mixed reviews with it browning out some peoples corals. BTW my tank is 98% SPS

Anyone running a 250w with a 20k bulb? Or even just a 150w with a 20k in it? Just ordered a 250w Sunpod and was wanting to use a 20k, but was getting mixed reviews with it browning out some peoples corals. BTW my tank is 98% SPS

Ya, see post #337. I absolutely love the color, and actually a couple of my browned out corals(Purple monster,royal plum) are getting their color back! Altho soon, since I ordered some of Evils sunpod LED's, I will try Phoenix 14K with 6X royal blue LED's to see how that looks. But in short, I think the 250W is the perfect light for the Solana, altho I am biased!

-Mike B)

Ya, see post #337. I absolutely love the color, and actually a couple of my browned out corals(Purple monster,royal plum) are getting their color back! Altho soon, since I ordered some of Evils sunpod LED's, I will try Phoenix 14K with 6X royal blue LED's to see how that looks. But in short, I think the 250W is the perfect light for the Solana, altho I am biased!

-Mike B)

+1 Love the 250W 20K...but wish Radium would make a 250W DE...

ohh well XM it is...lol

Think i'm going to stick with the stock 14k bulb the 250w sunpod comes with until I get everything acclimated to the light and settled in. Then need to figure out which brand of the 20k i like best and go from there.

Also would there be less par from a 250w 20k then from a 150w 14k Phoenix?

Edited by Pudge957
Think i'm going to stick with the stock 14k bulb the 250w sunpod comes with until I get everything acclimated to the light and settled in. Then need to figure out which brand of the 20k i like best and go from there.

Also would there be less par from a 250w 20k then from a 150w 14k Phoenix?

if you start with a 14k then you have to re-aclimate to the 20k...i would just start whith the target k you really want...JMO...

TriggerHappyDude

My Solana is going pretty well, just changed out my ChemiPure and Purigen packs and added some filter floss back in the 2nd chamber last night, this morning the water is very nice and clear...starting to fear some of this bubble algae...

I wanted to get opinions on if I have some sick frags...these two look brown...or sick to me, how about you?

I've moved them up high on the rock, down low, middle, not sure if its my lights or the water quality?

IMG_7284.jpg

IMG_7285.jpg

IMG_7286.jpg

IMG_7268.jpg

IMG_7277.jpg

The rest of the frags in the tank colorful, not sure if they are growing much...but don't appear sick...

IMG_7278.jpg

IMG_7279.jpg

IMG_7280.jpg

IMG_7281.jpg

IMG_7282.jpg

IMG_7283.jpg

burnofvengeance

I'm going to be setting my ato up here pretty quick. I plan on using a mj1200 because I'm 99% certain the aqua lifter wont push water that high. I'm wondering how everyone keeps the hose in the tank ie a way to secure it?