ReefCleaners.org

The Official All Solana Owner's Thread

d'Espresso

I want the sump mounted dual switch ato from autotopoff.com right?

Yep, that's what I got, it works great. Only complaint is the bracket is a little flimsy. I actually put some duct tape between the set screw, and the glass, to make it hold better. But, its a snap to setup and use.

good luck, Mike B)

NirvanaandTool

Hey all,

Joining the Solana crew on here. Been on the forum for awhile but had just browsed. Figured its time to actually post now.

Have had my mixed reef Solana up and running for about 4 months now. Running the 150W HQI light on it with 2 modded tunze 6025 powerheads for flow and a RKL for control.

Right now its occupied by just 1 purple firefish and 1 cleaner shrimp but i have 2 occelaris clowns waiting to go in once they are done qt.

I DIYed a mesh lid for it to keep the firefish in it and now my next project is turning the 2nd chamber into a small refugium.

2 quick pics (2 weeks old so they dont show the newest coral additions)

4079698078_c78a0a2d0c_b.jpg

4078940503_314ab9a875_o.jpg

NirvanaandTool
you cut the output tube because it restricts flow. But you also get a decrease in velocity because of fluid dynamics law of pressure

Yep. Exactly it. Cut the shrouds out for higher flow.

Didn't really notice the loss of velocity even though its there when the shroud is removed. They still push out a lot of water at a good speed.

Its plenty of enough flow for a Solana. I moved them onto the back corners on the sides of the tank to get better flow distribution and they pretty much blew all the sand back that was along the front pane of glass. Need to reposition them so they don't destroy my sandbed.

Yep. Exactly it. Cut the shrouds out for higher flow.

Didn't really notice the loss of velocity even though its there when the shroud is removed. They still push out a lot of water at a good speed.

Its plenty of enough flow for a Solana. I moved them onto the back corners on the sides of the tank to get better flow distribution and they pretty much blew all the sand back that was along the front pane of glass. Need to reposition them so they don't destroy my sandbed.

Beautiful tank N&T!!! B)

i did...its louder then my sunpod...why?

Probably just not lined up right. Play with it a bit to make sure the wet and dry sides are lined up right. I have an mp20 and I have to play with it until I find the "sweet spot". Or could be a spacer not being set right issue, I'm not sure if the mp10 has one.

NirvanaandTool
Beautiful tank N&T!!! B)

I'll make a thread for it soon. Just added some new coral last week and need some to take some new pics. Also need to get the clowns in it soon - just a firefish and a shrimp is a little boring.

Just got an mp10...but i feel like i got jerked...feels so cheap for $200...

Good luck getting the bugs worked out. Hope things work out for ya - especially cause i was considering a MP10 to replace my 2 tunze's.

SpankythePyro

do not use the spacer, make sure the mp10 is aligned. There will be a period where the magnet needs towear itself in and settle to the tank/mounting position.

I found out my skimmer if producing the bubbles when my return pump is completely submerged (even the output) in chamber 3, does everyone else have the water level in chamber 3 above the return bulkhead?

I'll make a thread for it soon. Just added some new coral last week and need some to take some new pics. Also need to get the clowns in it soon - just a firefish and a shrimp is a little boring.

Good luck getting the bugs worked out. Hope things work out for ya - especially cause i was considering a MP10 to replace my 2 tunze's.

yeah i replaced my 2 tunze 6025's starting to think it was a bad idea...man the vortech just feels so cheap compared to the tunze...like a mercedes compared to a ford...lol...

Edited by DAHNIC561
NirvanaandTool
yeah i replaced my 2 tunze 6025's starting to think it was a bad idea...man the vortech just feels so cheap compared to the tunze...like a mercedes compared to a ford...lol...

Wow really? whoa thats not good. Hope it settles in ok and starts to improve.

Hey guys, I'm thinking of changing my 6bulb 20" Nova extreme pro T5's to a Sunpod 250HQI. Any of you had both and can comment on them? thanks, btw, I am running SPS dominated tank. Also, Anyone looking for a 1.5 month old Sapphire aquatics skimmer? I just dropped a Warner Marine H2X on the back of my Solana, and its a beast. My Sapphire is just sitting around, trades anybody?

thanks, Mike B)

burnofvengeance
Hey guys, I'm thinking of changing my 6bulb 20" Nova extreme pro T5's to a Sunpod 250HQI. Any of you had both and can comment on them? thanks, btw, I am running SPS dominated tank. Also, Anyone looking for a 1.5 month old Sapphire aquatics skimmer? I just dropped a Warner Marine H2X on the back of my Solana, and its a beast. My Sapphire is just sitting around, trades anybody?

thanks, Mike B)

I might be interested in the Sapphire skimmer. How much?

thanks, Mike B)

The 250 with a nice 20k bulb is the way to go...thats what i run...

The 250 with a nice 20k bulb is the way to go...thats what i run...

Do you hang it or set it on top? Hows the heat? Also, what kinda of 20K do you like?

thanks, Mike

Do you hang it or set it on top? Hows the heat? Also, what kinda of 20K do you like?

thanks, Mike

mine is on its legs i use an azoo quad fan controlled by a RKL 1 temp is 79 always (i live in south florida so this is as hot as it gets in U.S.) ...i have a XM 20k bulb..

photo-3.jpg

Edited by DAHNIC561

What type of bulb of the 20k you running? Do you think 20k will be good for a 150w MH Sunpod? i have Dual Blue Actinics on each side so it probably be to blue huh? i am looking to upgraded my bulbs

What type of bulb of the 20k you running? Do you think 20k will be good for a 150w MH Sunpod? i have Dual Blue Actinics on each side so it probably be to blue huh? i am looking to upgraded my bulbs

i use a 250w XM 20k...but for 150w radium is the best i have ever seen or used...JMO...

i use a 20k on my 250w because its so close to the tank...but when i had a 150w i feel 14k radium was the best by far...pheonix 14k was the runner up...

Edited by DAHNIC561