Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Official All Solana Owner's Thread

d'Espresso

NirvanaandTool
Hey thanks man, that helps alot. I already have the RKL and Azoo fan. Appreciate the info.

-Mike B)

RKL + Azoo fan crew.

I have them both too - only I have the 2 fan version.

Keeps the tank at a nice steady 78.5 every day with the disco ball light.

Anybody else have a problem with micro bubbles with the Solana? I'm dealing with them at the moment and for the life of me I cannot figure out where they are coming from. :angry:

make sure your 2nd chambers water is to the top of the pad if not when it trickles it causes bubbles...or check your return pumps fitting make sure its tight and not sucking air....other then that your skimmer is either not broken in yet or it has a crack somewhere....

hope that helps...

make sure your 2nd chambers water is to the top of the pad if not when it trickles it causes bubbles...or check your return pumps fitting make sure its tight and not sucking air....other then that your skimmer is either not broken in yet or it has a crack somewhere....

hope that helps...

I'm not using the skimmer so it must be that my water level isn't high enough. I'll fix that and see if the micro bubbles go away. Thanks for your help!

I couldn't find any person with a field in graphics Banner for our Solana thread. So here is our unofficial banner for now. If anyone would like to make us a banner please contact me by PM. thanks!

This is not much but hope you guys/gals enjoy my crappy adobe photoshop CS9 design banner.

Edited by d'Espresso
I couldn't find any person with a field in graphics Banner for our Solana thread. So here is our unofficial banner for now. If anyone would like to make us a banner please contact me by PM. thanks!

This is not much but hope you guys/gals enjoy my crappy adobe photoshop CS9 design banner.

I like the banner.

NirvanaandTool

Pretty cool banner. I like it.

Maybe we can get a smaller version for our sigs.

I need to try to make a picture thread tonight if I get time to take new pics. Need to get added to the list.

Edit. Nevermind. Made it at lunch. What better to do at lunch at work than make a picture thread for your reef tank haha

Edited by NirvanaandTool
SpankythePyro

both my skimmers are creating crazy micro bubbles, on because its tube is broken I'm guessing and I cant rip it out to resuperglu it. the other beause its one side is slightly open and I can't re superglue itbecause I can't get to the bubble trap.

FML!

Pls add to the list. ++

anyways with the micro bubbles, just give it time.

i got so frustrated one day that i went out and bought filter floss to replace the pad in the 2nd chamber. (which i thought was causing the problem). the moment i came home, i noticed the bubbles were gone.

another FML.

SpankythePyro

I don't want to let it sit though fo so long, plus i'vealeady let it run for a awhile. IDK why but I can see the bubbles come up through the trap.. I don't know why running it would stop them

Well I got my Sunpod 250w on, lemme give you my thoughts compared to the Nova Extreme pro 6XT5, that I replaced.

rated from scale of 1-10.

1. Color.

I pulled out the 14K MH bulb that came with the Sunpod, and dropped in a Aqualine 20K. Let me tell you the color is simply amazing. Altho the Nova extreme pro's color was very good.

Sunpod with 20K

-9.5-

Nova extreme pro, stock bulbs(3x10k,3x460nm)

-7.5-

2.Light Intensity/brightness The NEP was very bright, About 25% brighter than the 250w MH w/20K, but the MH has really nice shimmer, and a deeper color. I assume the MH with 14K would be similar in brightness to the NEP, But I have not tested because, i'm all about the bling bling!

Sunpod with 20K

-7.5-

Nova extreme pro, stock bulbs(3x10k,3x460nm)

-8.5-

3.Heat.

Sunpod gets hot, but I have a AZOO 4x fan blowing down betwwen it and the MH, and my temps stayed at 77.5degrees

-9- with fan

NEP no need for fan, runs very cool, temp @ 77.5 w/o fans.

-9.5-

Overall, I really like the Sunpod, I think the depth of color is really hard to replicate with T5's, but at a cost of power(250w vs. 108w). Altho the NEP is very good, I would opt for the Sunpod.

Overall

Sunpod.

-9-

NEP

-8-

-Mike B)

I wasn't trying to start a debate, but since I own both lights I was just trying to give info on the differences. And hopefully help someone who may be deciding between the two.

-Mike :D

burnofvengeance

From my understanding the sapphire aquatics solana skimmer is the same thing as the NC 24 skimmer but they include an acrylic stand to elevate it....do I really need the stand or can I use something else?

From my understanding the sapphire aquatics solana skimmer is the same thing as the NC 24 skimmer but they include an acrylic stand to elevate it....do I really need the stand or can I use something else?

No I don't think they're the same, cuz the pump fits at the bottom, around the acrylic that elevates it. And there is no "extra" elevation/room. So I would say the Solana version has to be taller.

-Mike :)

Edited by mikedege
burnofvengeance
No I don't think they're the same, cuz the pump fits at the bottom, around the acrylic that elevates it. And there is no "extra" elevation/room. So I would say the Solana version has to be taller.

-Mike :)

Hmmm. I think it will fit provided something can bring it up to the right height. Might be something to figure out.

TriggerHappyDude

Ok, so I've got a real problem now I guess, I've battled with this Aiptasia issue for a few months now.

Using Aiptasia Control, and they seem to come back each time, bigger and more of them!

Today I bought two peppermint shrimp, one small one medium, and will see what they can do, but I tried to count the number of these pests and I bet its near 50+ in my little 34 gallon Solana. Some tiny, some small, some medium, some starting to get large (quarter size).

What can I do other than what I'm doing?

Ok, so I've got a real problem now I guess, I've battled with this Aiptasia issue for a few months now.

Using Aiptasia Control, and they seem to come back each time, bigger and more of them!

Today I bought two peppermint shrimp, one small one medium, and will see what they can do, but I tried to count the number of these pests and I bet its near 50+ in my little 34 gallon Solana. Some tiny, some small, some medium, some starting to get large (quarter size).

What can I do other than what I'm doing?

sounds like a new aquascape to me...take it all out and start all over (with new rock)...i wouldnt fight that battle...JMO...

goodluck anyways...

TriggerHappyDude
sounds like a new aquascape to me...take it all out and start all over (with new rock)...i wouldnt fight that battle...JMO...

goodluck anyways...

Thats what I was thinking, some cooked rock maybe, with no chance of these kinds of hitch hikers?

I think the LR I got was fine, but the frags I got from the same guy, I think had some small ones on them and well they've multiplied...

If I took out each infected piece of LR one piece at a time, and soaked in some fresh water, would that kill them?

Edited by TriggerHappyDude
Thats what I was thinking, some cooked rock maybe, with no chance of these kinds of hitch hikers?

I think the LR I got was fine, but the frags I got from the same guy, I think had some small ones on them and well they've multiplied...

just do it! dont think to much about it they are splitting as we speak...lol... :D

TriggerHappyDude
just do it! dont think to much about it they are splitting as we speak...lol... :D

Thing is I don't think my wife will let me buy more rock, so I need to "clean" this rock...how about I bathe each piece, one per week, in a freshwater bath or something that will kill them?