inTank Media Baskets

The Official All Solana Owner's Thread

d'Espresso

Ive had a litermeter III stuck in my head to run 2 part. Just can't pull the trigger on it though

I hear you... That would be the holy grail! I can't pull the trigger either!!! omgomgomg

How do you like that light?

Was looking into them but I'm not sure if they will add heat to the tank.

Is it growing chaeto well?

The light works great and doesn't really add any heat. The only problem is the chaeto grows so fast it smothers the light but then again it's a great way to tell that the chaeto needs to be trimmed.

NirvanaandTool
The light works great and doesn't really add any heat. The only problem is the chaeto grows so fast it smothers the light but then again it's a great way to tell that the chaeto needs to be trimmed.

Ah very nice. Are you running one 5W lights or two?

I picked up a 27W power compact desk lap from Homedepot today. Going to try to rig that up externally behind the tank to point at chamber 2. Saw some people on here with other tanks use them for their AIO refugiums with a lot of success. Should work in my situation - just need to move the mount for the MH pendant to either side of the tank away from the middle.

It's taken a couple days, but I've just finished all 21 pages. I sort of qualify. I've received two Solanas, but both have been cracked in shipment. Fingers are crossed for the third. It sounds like fish.com may not have the patience (or inventory?) to ship me a fourth if the third arrives damaged. Am I the only one with multiple shipping damages?

I've had a BC14 for two years, so the Solana is a step up for me. After reading the chamber level challenges, I can't help wondering if the rear chamber flow engineering of the BioCube is superior? Given all the layers of floss, chemical bags, charcoal and Chaeto, isn't it just a matter of flow restriction? Get rid of most of that stuff (save the Chaeto) and let the water flow free.

Last but not least, why haven't I read any posts of LED mods for the Solana? It seems like a natural. Perhaps I'll be the first?

Personally I would always order through a LFS for the tank. I went that route with no issues. I've just read to many stories of busted tanks from shipping. As for the chambers I think it's more of a "User Issue" by them getting clog with something stuck in the middle chamber or messing with the overflow pad or the return pump. I've personally never had any problems with it, but then again i've never really messed with any of the things in the back. Thats just my .2

It's taken a couple days, but I've just finished all 21 pages. I sort of qualify. I've received two Solanas, but both have been cracked in shipment. Fingers are crossed for the third. It sounds like fish.com may not have the patience (or inventory?) to ship me a fourth if the third arrives damaged. Am I the only one with multiple shipping damages?

I've had a BC14 for two years, so the Solana is a step up for me. After reading the chamber level challenges, I can't help wondering if the rear chamber flow engineering of the BioCube is superior? Given all the layers of floss, chemical bags, charcoal and Chaeto, isn't it just a matter of flow restriction? Get rid of most of that stuff (save the Chaeto) and let the water flow free.

Last but not least, why haven't I read any posts of LED mods for the Solana? It seems like a natural. Perhaps I'll be the first?

NirvanaandTool

Ditto on ordering through the LFS. Biggest problem I had when I ordered from my LFS was fitting everything into my little Acura RSX :lol: . Took 1 trip in my car and 1 trip in my dad's f150 to actually get the tank.

And if you are part of a local reef club, generally you can get some sort of discount at LFS's to save you some on the tank. I saved 10% on my order which was a nice chunk of change.

Yea rear chambers are kind of an anything goes kind of deal. Everyone does things their own different ways. But whats great is if it works, who cares if its a little different. Some prefer a lot of mechanical and chemical filtration in the back where some others dont. I'm using more mechanical filtration now but plan to do some chemical filtration again via purigen in the next week or so and then add some chaeto.

I'm looking to upgrade my return pump in my Solana. I bought the tank used but it appears to be the original. is there a consensus best choice? I am also using a maxi-400 with the eco mod, but it blows my sand around and ticks of some of the inhabitants. I guess I'll bite the bullet and upgrade to an mp10 for flow.

I'm looking to upgrade my return pump in my Solana. I bought the tank used but it appears to be the original. is there a consensus best choice? I am also using a maxi-400 with the eco mod, but it blows my sand around and ticks of some of the inhabitants. I guess I'll bite the bullet and upgrade to an mp10 for flow.

original Solana return pump is the way to go...

Third time's a charm! The third Solana arrived unscathed. Fish.com did an excellent job communicating and shipped promptly. UPS did their part gracefully and picked up the broken ones I repackaged. It was a bit un-nerving wondering if one would ever arrive alive, but it's secure in my basement awaiting the rest of the stuff. More soon.

NirvanaandTool

Congrats on the new tank! Welcome to the club!

I think its about time to upgrade my bulb in my discoball pendant. Been about 6 months and caught it flickering on and off today randomly. Guess after Christmas, I'll order a 14k Phoenix.

Congrats on the new tank! Welcome to the club!

I think its about time to upgrade my bulb in my discoball pendant. Been about 6 months and caught it flickering on and off today randomly. Guess after Christmas, I'll order a 14k Phoenix.

Check your ballast...

NirvanaandTool

Any reason why the ballast would die after only 6 months?

I checked it out and the connections from the light. Seemed fine to me but this is ny first venture into halide lighting so I'm new to this.

What should I be looking for to tell me if the ballast is bad?

Any reason why the ballast would die after only 6 months?

I checked it out and the connections from the light. Seemed fine to me but this is ny first venture into halide lighting so I'm new to this.

What should I be looking for to tell me if the ballast is bad?

flickering light...

The whole bulb flashing is the ballast and only one end of the bulb flashing is the bulb...

Edited by DAHNIC561
NirvanaandTool
flickering light...

The whole bulb flashing is the ballast and only one end of the bulb flashing is the bulb...

Ok

Guess I should have stated it better but it didn't actually flicker. Just turned off for a few minutes and then came back on. But it didn't flicker. I stated it wrong in the first post - sorry bout that.

It did it twice yesterday and then was fine the rest of the night. And the rkl didn't turn it off cause its input was on.

Edit .. Well it worked fine all last night so it doesn't seem like its the ballast. Probably the bulb going. Ill keep an eye on it over the next few days.

Edited by NirvanaandTool

I'm guessing I will add an ATO in time, but I want to try the bottles thing first. The only damage to my new Solana is the shelf that supports the bottles in chamber 3. One side of the cement joint between the flat shelf and black acrylic rib broke free and it allows the shelf to sag. What should I use to glue that back together?

I'm guessing I will add an ATO in time, but I want to try the bottles thing first. The only damage to my new Solana is the shelf that supports the bottles in chamber 3. One side of the cement joint between the flat shelf and black acrylic rib broke free and it allows the shelf to sag. What should I use to glue that back together?

the bottles are 100% ineffective...lol...

my kids use them as bath toys...

I can see that. So is there any reason to re-glue the platform on which they rest, or should I just trash it and leave the top part of chamber 3 open?

leave it open for your future ATO and its easier to manually top off in this chamber by using the shelf as a water level marker...

Edited by DAHNIC561
ximmortaldeathx

I was going to replace mine and decided not to, it seems after you clean it and remove one of the spray bars the flow is incredibly nice. the shimmer in the sand is great. I could post a vid.

I feel like i have a problem with floating debris. I thought it was microbubbles but i think it's just debris recirculating in my display and not going through the filter. I have plenty of filter pads in my chambers. Any body have this problem??

Also, Had anybody put LR in their second chamber?? and how did they do it. I don't really want to put in a fuge or any cheato.