SaltCritters.com

The Official All Solana Owner's Thread

d'Espresso

ximmortaldeathx

Ok i just took this and posted on youtube.

for some reason this phoenix looks way too blue under my sony HD it looks much crisper in person.

as you can see the pump has a nice flow and it gives me good surface movement.

I was going to replace mine and decided not to, it seems after you clean it and remove one of the spray bars the flow is incredibly nice. the shimmer in the sand is great. I could post a vid.

Spray bars?

I'm going to build a DIY LED setup for my new Solana and I'm trying to decide whether to mod the LEDs into a pendant or build a canopy-like frame for the top of the tank. The rimless, topless look is really nice and one of the things that makes the Solana attractive, but it lets a lot of light spill out over the top that lights the room and walls more than I'd like. The canopy look (sort of like the one below) is neat and tidy, would match the stand I'm building and would have a glass top that would help reduce evaporation, but it cuts into the design of the tank. There are likely pros and cons of each that I've failed to consider. What are they? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

This was discussed earlier but I don't know if others have experienced the same thing. I use two filters; the black sponge and a blue/white filter pad on top of chamber 2. Water levels in the rear seem normal with manual top off. I would see detritus build up on the filter pad and then just disappear the next day? Also, the detritus only builds up on the pad were its near the divider from chamber 1 to chamber 2. No idea what's going on here. I try to keep the water level half inch above that divider. Its like my black sponge and filter pad is useless because they accumulate waste then it just disappears and it must be going back into the tank!

NirvanaandTool

Nice Cardiff.

My LFS had one of those set up for awhile. Pretty nice tanks.

I picked up a MJ900 today for a replacement return pump. Also got a 14k phoenix bulb to replace my stock bulb. Probably will go in Sunday or Monday when I do a water change.

Edited by NirvanaandTool
It has his pros and cons. A pain to clean and photograph but I like it

Yo Sal, you do have a NanoMag from Two Little Fishies, right? Its flexible magnetic cleaning is exactly what you need to follow the curvature of the Cardiff (or BioCube corners!). Well worth the ten bucks. I have a Nimble Nano cleaner and use them both.

p-70388-48830-fish-supply.jpg

Yo Sal, you do have a NanoMag from Two Little Fishies, right? Its flexible magnetic cleaning is exactly what you need to follow the curvature of the Cardiff (or BioCube corners!). Well worth the ten bucks. I have a Nimble Nano cleaner and use them both.

p-70388-48830-fish-supply.jpg

nano mag is a must have for tight spots...but its made pretty cheap and only cleans in the spot where the tiny little magnet is...but they are only $4.99 so ahhh...

TriggerHappyDude

Hey Solana owners, I seem to always spill water over the top edge when cleaning using anything, I just can't get close to the top edge or I will cause water to spill over, do you all have this issue too or am I just too careless and rough with the scrapers?

Hey Solana owners, I seem to always spill water over the top edge when cleaning using anything, I just can't get close to the top edge or I will cause water to spill over, do you all have this issue too or am I just too careless and rough with the scrapers?

It happens, just go slower with it at the top. I switched from the mag-float to the mag-flip and I like it alot. Not as powerful but its easier to work with imo.

NirvanaandTool
It happens, just go slower with it at the top. I switched from the mag-float to the mag-flip and I like it alot. Not as powerful but its easier to work with imo.

Ditto.

Just go slow at the top.

Plus if you lower the flow on the stock return pump you will lower the amount of water in the display area - gives a little more room to work with when cleaning.

Im still using a mag float and a kent scraper for coraline on the glass.

TriggerHappyDude

Ok thanks fellas, I figured it was just me rushing it, even though sometimes I'm careful and slow and still manage to slip here and there and cause some drool...hahaha, oh well.

Once coraline covers that back wall of the Solana, there's really no easy way to get it off huh? Just based on the texture of that plastic of the back wall, makes it hard to just scrape off. I know its not a bad algae, but I see some of these peoples very "clean" tanks, and get jealous I let it go in that dept.

I'm starting to want a bigger tank now, so its making me be more critical of this one.

NirvanaandTool
Ok thanks fellas, I figured it was just me rushing it, even though sometimes I'm careful and slow and still manage to slip here and there and cause some drool...hahaha, oh well.

Once coraline covers that back wall of the Solana, there's really no easy way to get it off huh? Just based on the texture of that plastic of the back wall, makes it hard to just scrape off. I know its not a bad algae, but I see some of these peoples very "clean" tanks, and get jealous I let it go in that dept.

I'm starting to want a bigger tank now, so its making me be more critical of this one.

Yea I still get a few drips here and there when cleaning. Nothing that a towel wont clean up.

I havent found a way to clean the back wall. But the fact that it is textured is kind of cool - I find my hermits up there picking algae off all the time.

I know what you mean. I want a bigger tank now too - even only after having my Solana up and running for 6 months. Something 75g or bigger. After going home to my parents and seeing my brother's 90g with his Kole tang and fully grown Clarkii clown pair, I want something a lot bigger. Solana seems too small now. Never satisfied haha

SpankythePyro

So I kinda got bored with NR

I've had my solana up and running since I alst talked though....

I've had 0 problems with bare bottom, no skimming.

All I've had is fresh marco rock and a softball of chaeto, all levels 0, AMAZING!?!?!?

TriggerHappyDude
So I kinda got bored with NR

I've had my solana up and running since I alst talked though....

I've had 0 problems with bare bottom, no skimming.

All I've had is fresh marco rock and a softball of chaeto, all levels 0, AMAZING!?!?!?

Wow, thats awesome news. I've thought about removing my sandbed, but can't think of the logistics on how I would do this with the fish and corals in there...?

SpankythePyro

Have about 30gals of fresh saltwater ready. Suck up the sand via siphion tube/hose, and replace water as needed ;)

Simple as that.

The only thing I have had to watch for is to make sure My pH/Cal/Alk is correct

Also got my auto top off from ato.com, I want to know how to set it up as I have no images and the two floats are different

I got the dual sump one, can anyone help?

Edited by SpankythePyro