Cultivated Reef

The Official All Solana Owner's Thread

d'Espresso

TriggerHappyDude
Have about 30gals of fresh saltwater ready. Suck up the sand via siphion tube/hose, and replace water as needed ;)

Simple as that.

The only thing I have had to watch for is to make sure My pH/Cal/Alk is correct

Also got my auto top off from ato.com, I want to know how to set it up as I have no images and the two floats are different

I got the dual sump one, can anyone help?

What are you using to control the ATO float switches? Like I bought a ReefKeeper Elite...what are you using?

I am kind of new to this and I just ordered my solana tank from my LFS and I just had a quick question. I was going to purchase the Reefkeeper from Digital Aquatics and was wondering if anybody has ever used their auto top off float switch equipment. If anybody has can they tell me if they like it and how well it works with the Reefkeeper. Thanks

TriggerHappyDude
I am kind of new to this and I just ordered my solana tank from my LFS and I just had a quick question. I was going to purchase the Reefkeeper from Digital Aquatics and was wondering if anybody has ever used their auto top off float switch equipment. If anybody has can they tell me if they like it and how well it works with the Reefkeeper. Thanks

If you figure it out, I'd like to know, I've had my float switches that I purchased from www.autotopoff.com a while now and my ReefKeeper Elite is up and running turn on/off the lights, and giving me the temp, but thats about it, I've been wanting to figure out how to setup the ATO but just kind of too lazy.

If you figure it out, I'd like to know, I've had my float switches that I purchased from www.autotopoff.com a while now and my ReefKeeper Elite is up and running turn on/off the lights, and giving me the temp, but thats about it, I've been wanting to figure out how to setup the ATO but just kind of too lazy.

[/quote

I will probably just purchase them and try it. They are only 24.99 and the price of the pump. Can anybody tell me what the best pump would be to pull water from the stand to to the top of the tank.

NirvanaandTool

I'm running DA's float switch with my Reef Keeper Lite.

I have my ATO pump (aqua lifter) running on a multi-timer for 20 mins an hour during the day (mostly when the MH is on) and created an alarm with the float switch to turn off the pump if the water level gets higher than the float switch. This worked out better for me than just using the float switch as a controller for the pump - it almost overflowed the tank so my timer method is much more controlled.

I need to upgrade my skimmer, any ideas out there? I don't even think mine is working at this point.

Bruce

Well I've had the Sapphire, a Warner Marine(great skimmer, but doesnt work well hanging on the back of a Solana), and my latest the Euro-reef nano. And the ER kicks butt! I pull out about 1/4" of coffee colored skimmate per day. Definately better than the Sapphire, which was already better than the stock one. Just make sure to pull the sponge out of the bottom, and run w/o one.

-Mike :)

Edited by mikedege
TriggerHappyDude
Well I've had the Sapphire, a Warner Marine(great skimmer, but doesnt work well hanging on the back of a Solana), and my latest the Euro-reef nano. And the ER kicks butt! I pull out about 1/4" of coffee colored skimmate per day. Definately better than the Sapphire, which was already better than the stock one. Just make sure to pull the sponge out of the bottom, and run w/o one.

I use the Sapphire Aquatics Solana skimmer, its good enough for me, but its my first ever skimmer so I have nothing to really compare it to. Do you have any links to this Euro-Reef Nano skimmer?

This is what my Sapphire Aquatics skimmer looks like...

nano-skimmer-solana-current.jpg

Edited by TriggerHappyDude
Hey Solana owners, I seem to always spill water over the top edge when cleaning using anything, I just can't get close to the top edge or I will cause water to spill over, do you all have this issue too or am I just too careless and rough with the scrapers?

I use the TLS Nano Mag at the top you wont spill a drop... ;)

I need to upgrade my skimmer, any ideas out there? I don't even think mine is working at this point.

Bruce

Tunze or Euro-Reef...

TriggerHappyDude
I use the TLS Nano Mag at the top you wont spill a drop... ;)

Tunze or Euro-Reef...

Do any of you have pictures of your Tunze or Euro-Reef skimmers inside the tank and outside it?

I've had no real issues with my skimmer, works pretty well, has some odd things that maybe I just don't understand, but I get dark green slimy stuff...quite often.

I can't find the Euro-Reef online?

I use the Sapphire Aquatics Solana skimmer, its good enough for me, but its my first ever skimmer so I have nothing to really compare it to. Do you have any links to this Euro-Reef Nano skimmer?

Ya, go here.

http://ysknp.xxzbg.servertrust.com/default.asp

btw, looks like you have the older version of the Sapphire too. I am comparing my new Euro-reef to a new version Sapphire(pump at bottom pointing up). Btw, I am not down on the Sapphire, I'm just saying the ER skims much better, in my setup. It also has a much better meshwheel imo.

Edited by mikedege
TriggerHappyDude
Ya, go here.

http://ysknp.xxzbg.servertrust.com/default.asp

btw, looks like you have the older version of the Sapphire too. I am comparing my new Euro-reef to a new version Sapphire(pump at bottom pointing up). Btw, I am not down on the Sapphire, I'm just saying the ER skims much better, in my setup. It also has a much better meshwheel imo.

I do have the older, Gen 1 version, and it doesn't have a meshwheel, that I have found when cleaning it.

That link didn't take me to a Solana Euro-Reef Skimmer?

This page has every aquarium listed but the Solana...?

http://ysknp.xxzbg.servertrust.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1

PS, I've been eye balling the CADLights 39gallon Pro-X aquarium, I really like the plumbing and flexibility it offers over the AIO in the back of the tank setup...I haven't begun to research these yet though.

http://www.cadlights.com/product_info.php?...products_id=153

Do any of you have pictures of your Tunze or Euro-Reef skimmers inside the tank and outside it?

I've had no real issues with my skimmer, works pretty well, has some odd things that maybe I just don't understand, but I get dark green slimy stuff...quite often.

I can't find the Euro-Reef online?

Main site:

http://www.euro-reef.com/

Direct link to Solana Skimmer:

http://ysknp.xxzbg.servertrust.com/Product...ode=NS2%2E5%2D3

People google is your friend...;)

TriggerHappyDude
Its on page 2.(click the little "next" button) :)

-mike

Dur, missed the page 2 link..my bad.

Main site:

http://www.euro-reef.com/

Direct link to Solana Skimmer:

http://ysknp.xxzbg.servertrust.com/Product...ode=NS2%2E5%2D3

People google is your friend...;)

Believe it or not I do know how to use Google, it didn't bring up the main site in any searches I tried, not sure why...?

Here is a pic of my 4month old Solana which was an upgrade from a 12g nanocube. And before anyone says anything yes, I do have a small Scopas Tang. I have had it for 2 weeks to clean up the hair algae in my tank, I do NOT plan on keeping it long term.

My question is I use the saphire aquatics skimmer, which I have been satisfied with. But I tend to be reading that the EuroReef nano skimmer is better?? Is this true? Is there a certain skimmer from them for the Solana?

TriggerHappyDude

Here is a pic of my 4month old Solana which was an upgrade from a 12g nanocube. And before anyone says anything yes, I do have a small Scopas Tang. I have had it for 2 weeks to clean up the hair algae in my tank, I do NOT plan on keeping it long term.

My question is I use the saphire aquatics skimmer, which I have been satisfied with. But I tend to be reading that the EuroReef nano skimmer is better?? Is this true? Is there a certain skimmer from them for the Solana?

I don't know that anyone has owned both and can say one is better than the other, if so they need to pipe up, I too have the Sapphire Aquatics one and have been reading that this Euro-Reef one is so much better, but where is the hard evidence? The link was posted above, to where you can buy one, here it is again...

http://ysknp.xxzbg.servertrust.com/Product...uctCode=NS2.5-3

I'd like to see some of their pictures of it installed and see what it looks like in the tank.

Mind if I ask you how much you've spent on frags and corals? I would love to have that much in my tank.

Mind if I ask you how much you've spent on frags and corals? I would love to have that much in my tank.

I honestly am not sure, but I would say probably $2000-$3000

I don't know that anyone has owned both and can say one is better than the other, if so they need to pipe up, I too have the Sapphire Aquatics one and have been reading that this Euro-Reef one is so much better, but where is the hard evidence? The link was posted above, to where you can buy one, here it is again...

I'd like to see some of their pictures of it installed and see what it looks like in the tank.

Did you not read post #462 on this page? lol.... Yes I have owned both, and yes the ER is much much better IMO... Not saying the Sapphire is bad, just saying the ER is better! From my experience, much better. But I pulled the sponge out of the bottom of the ER, and I get about 1/4" of coffee colored skim-mate per day.

-Mike

Edited by mikedege
Did you not read post #462 on this page? lol.... Yes I have owned both, and yes the ER is much much better IMO... Not saying the Sapphire is bad, just saying the ER is better! From my experience, much better. But I pulled the sponge out of the bottom of the ER, and I get about 1/4" of coffee colored skim-mate per day.

-Mike

Mike Does the ER Fit in the solana as easily as the saphire? any modifications?

Is there a particular model for the solana?

TriggerHappyDude

-Mike

You'll have to forgive me for mis-reading post #462, I must have mis-read the post and didn't realize you were saying you owned the original SA skimmer like I do. Care to share some pictures of the ER and how it looks back in the back there of the tank?

Mike Does the ER Fit in the solana as easily as the saphire? any modifications?

Is there a particular model for the solana?

I guess you didn't read the two posts where we've given a link to the ER version made for Solana?

:)

here it is again...

I honestly am not sure, but I would say probably $2000-$3000

Ok, wow, yeah I won't be doing that anytime soon.

TriggerHappyDude

Thanks, so it sticks out that much huh...wonder how I'd like that? Wonder what else is going on back there, that they have setup? Got the original thread that pic is from?

Also wanted to ask you all, what the reason some of you use bare bottom?

I used to think the sand was natural looking and cool, but mine is just cluttered with empty shells and stuff and I'm considering bare bottom...just wondering what the benefits are?

ya it sticks up, but doesn't bother me at all, due to my lighting shields it. And I just googled it and found a pik, cant remember if it was a thread or ?

mike