Top Shelf Aquatics

The Official All Solana Owner's Thread

d'Espresso

i saw people recommending removing the blue spong with filter floss, so that's what i did. no idea how raising the skimmer cup affects "wetness". Its been running 2 days now, all i see is some dirt at the very bottom of the cup.

one more question. i have a K2 in the tank and seems like there is a ton of flow now. my clowns (and crabs) don't seem to like it. i'm worried its too strong for the solana, do clowns (generally) like lots of flow or avoid it?? they tend to be hanging in the corners with the least flow now.

- james

i saw people recommending removing the blue spong with filter floss, so that's what i did. no idea how raising the skimmer cup affects "wetness". Its been running 2 days now, all i see is some dirt at the very bottom of the cup.

one more question. i have a K2 in the tank and seems like there is a ton of flow now. my clowns (and crabs) don't seem to like it. i'm worried its too strong for the solana, do clowns (generally) like lots of flow or avoid it?? they tend to be hanging in the corners with the least flow now.

- james

that is filter floss bonded...?

- james

I have a K1 and a K2 and I will be replacing the K1 for another K2. One K2 is not too strong for this tank.

Edited by dmarkham
I have a K1 and a K2 and I will be replacing the K1 for another K2. One K2 is not too strong for this tank.

just curious if you have clowns in your tank, they seem to avoid the high flow areas.

My clowns hangout right above my MP20. Which I run at full. Been a little worried bc the new picasso is only about an inch big. Been trying to find the "sleeve" for the MP20 so he doesn't get sucked in.

My clowns hangout right above my MP20. Which I run at full. Been a little worried bc the new picasso is only about an inch big. Been trying to find the "sleeve" for the MP20 so he doesn't get sucked in.

yeah you don't want the little guy sucked in. you have a beautiful tank. i noticed you took the nozzells off the return outlet, any reason why? I thought you wanted to have flow hitting the bottom of all parts of the tank, is that not good? It looks like from the pics of your tank that they are just pointing out and are high up. I have the two nozells and the K2 pointing downward.

been trying to tank pics with my fuji s5, but the picts all look kinda crappy. any suggestions? my new sunpod 250 is at my door so will take pics tonight when i get it on top. very excited, might leave work easly :D

looks like in the latest picture you still have the nozells on, but pointed up. any reason not to pont them down to clean the sand?

TriggerHappyDude
that is filter floss bonded...?

I just use the Old Glory stuff from Wal-Mart, it was recommended when I first set it up.

Not sure what bonded is? It collects a lot of dirt and crud. Its in the 2nd chamber above my Purigen and Chemi-Pure and some other water carbon product.

Also, guess for $60 I'm probably going to buy the Current-USA top for the Solana, I'll usually only use it at night, as during the day the fish haven't really jumped, was at night when I lost my last fish.

Unless I can find a cheap solution, I like DAHNIC561's top, but I can't get the plastics company to get back in touch with me to see if they can make one.

Edited by TriggerHappyDude
yeah you don't want the little guy sucked in. you have a beautiful tank. i noticed you took the nozzells off the return outlet, any reason why? I thought you wanted to have flow hitting the bottom of all parts of the tank, is that not good? It looks like from the pics of your tank that they are just pointing out and are high up. I have the two nozells and the K2 pointing downward.

been trying to tank pics with my fuji s5, but the picts all look kinda crappy. any suggestions? my new sunpod 250 is at my door so will take pics tonight when i get it on top. very excited, might leave work easly :D

looks like in the latest picture you still have the nozells on, but pointed up. any reason not to pont them down to clean the sand?

MMM... I have a ton of flow going through the tank with the MP20 on the back wall. And I'm 99% sure there aren't places getting hit by the flow. I run it on full Reef Crest mode and I think the flow will peak around 2000GPH at times. I need to get some updated shots, which I'll try to get done in the next day or so.

NirvanaandTool
I just use the Old Glory stuff from Wal-Mart, it was recommended when I first set it up.

Not sure what bonded is? It collects a lot of dirt and crud. Its in the 2nd chamber above my Purigen and Chemi-Pure and some other water carbon product.

Also, guess for $60 I'm probably going to buy the Current-USA top for the Solana, I'll usually only use it at night, as during the day the fish haven't really jumped, was at night when I lost my last fish.

Unless I can find a cheap solution, I like DAHNIC561's top, but I can't get the plastics company to get back in touch with me to see if they can make one.

Could always make a DIY mesh lid like I made from Home depot. Cost me like 15 bucks or something cheap like that. Keeps my firefish and clowns in and should keep my future tail spot blenny in too (once he gets done his time in solitary .... i mean qt.)

TriggerHappyDude
Could always make a DIY mesh lid like I made from Home depot. Cost me like 15 bucks or something cheap like that. Keeps my firefish and clowns in and should keep my future tail spot blenny in too (once he gets done his time in solitary .... i mean qt.)

Yeah I like yours as well as the acrylic one above in this thread. Where did you get the bird netting, do they have that at Home Depot as well?

TriggerHappyDude
quarter inch and tell them to polish the whole piece edges and all...any plastic/acrylic or glass place will do it...i just googled plastic and my zip and it pulled up a bunch...and you can also show them the pic of mine for reference...

I heard back from my contact at Current-USA and he really likes this idea of the acrylic version of the glass top they produce now. He did ask if we thought it would warp over time? What do you think? I think since its thicker, quarter inch, its less likely to. He's going to send me the schematic of their current glass model, so I can get one built like DAHNIC561 built. I really like the acrylic one as its less noticeable than the netting versions. Thats just me, I would rather not have a lid, but with losing my first fish last week, guess its time to be proactive.

TriggerHappyDude
what's seem to be all the comotion in here? how's everyone doing?

trigger i recommended diy mesh cover. it's easy! follow this link to check out this guy simple and clean mesh cover >>>>>>> DIY Mesh Cover

The perfect square like his won't work with our Solana, we have tubes and wires coming out of the back.

Need one that allows coverage of the weird shape in the rear and allow the wires and tubes to come out.

NirvanaandTool
The perfect square like his won't work with our Solana, we have tubes and wires coming out of the back.

Need one that allows coverage of the weird shape in the rear and allow the wires and tubes to come out.

A square lid works on my tank... I made mine so it covers the rear compartments to block all of the tank. All the lines for the rear compartment run through the cut out in the back glass and my powerhead power cord runs under the mesh lid.

And yes the bird netting is in the garden section of home depot.

TriggerHappyDude
A square lid works on my tank... I made mine so it covers the rear compartments to block all of the tank. All the lines for the rear compartment run through the cut out in the back glass and my powerhead power cord runs under the mesh lid.

And yes the bird netting is in the garden section of home depot.

Humm, did I see pictures of yours yet? Maybe I need to revisit.

I also am worried about rusting with those frames.

NirvanaandTool

I have two pics of it in my tank thread. I'd post them up here too but I'm on my crackberry right now.

I painted the frames with krylon fusion black paint to prevent oxidation. Six months down the line and so far so good. If they start to oxidize just cut new frame pieces and remake the lid...

TriggerHappyDude
I have two pics of it in my tank thread. I'd post them up here too but I'm on my crackberry right now.

I painted the frames with krylon fusion black paint to prevent oxidation. Six months down the line and so far so good. If they start to oxidize just cut new frame pieces and remake the lid...

Ok I went and checked them out, seems like a very easy and cheap way to get the job done.

I'm going to pursue the acrylic version first, as I like the looks better...

NirvanaandTool
Ok I went and checked them out, seems like a very easy and cheap way to get the job done.

I'm going to pursue the acrylic version first, as I like the looks better...

Are you going to get the hole cut in the center of the acrylic one?

I like the mesh top better IMO. Gets the job done and allows the tank to be cooled via my Azoo fan. I dont know if I trust my fish with an opening cut in the center of the top.

i just ordered the solana wood trim top this morning, i guess i wasn't thinking of the heating issue as I have a sunpod 250W (which arrived yesterday). just a bit of a pain to always take off that glass top to feed/test. I assume there's no way to use fans or chill the tank with the glass top. i guess i should have thought that out.

still debating if i like the sunpod over the T5 nova extreme (which was the light on top of the tank i bought this weekend off craigslist). The T5's put more coverage of light in the tank.