ReefCleaners.org

The Official All Solana Owner's Thread

d'Espresso

TriggerHappyDude
ya it sticks up, but doesn't bother me at all, due to my lighting shields it. And I just googled it and found a pik, cant remember if it was a thread or ?

mike

Ok cause thats actually a Cardiff tank its on...

The ER sticking up so high might bother me, as my look doesn't have something to block it, the important part of the design of my look is the floating light fixture above the clean looking glass cube...so this is why I initially went with the Sappire Aquatics one, it was flush...

Some very old pics (from first week of setup) but you get the idea...

IMG_6822.jpg

IMG_6823.jpg

IMG_6824.jpg

IMG_6732.jpg

Edited by TriggerHappyDude
TriggerHappyDude
I love my solona......but chasing snails around the outside of the aquarium is quite annoying anyone else feeling me on this.

Heck yes, seems to only happen when the lights are out though, so I put a window screen, thats bigger than the tank, on mine, lots of others have built one that is the perfect size for theirs, they are out there.

Its really the only drawback I have with the rimless aquariums!

Heck yes, seems to only happen when the lights are out though, so I put a window screen, thats bigger than the tank, on mine, lots of others have built one that is the perfect size for theirs, they are out there.

Its really the only drawback I have with the rimless aquariums!

Yep every morning same routine especially nerites I definitely not get anymore of those dudes sticking with ceriths and vibexs from here on out. I also lost about 3 fish without a lid but at least not immediately after I put them in they hung around for couple months.

NirvanaandTool
lol, its cool.

Now actually I owned the new version SA skimmer, not the older one.

And heres a picture, I found this on the web, but mine looks identical to this, except its filled with gunk! lol...

-Mike

http://justmyreef.com/wp-content/uploads/2..._Skimmer-11.jpg

Im not a fan of how the ER sticks out. Wish it fit inside cause my mesh lid for the tank covers the top of the back compartments the way I built it.

I'll probably get the Sapphire in a couple weeks just because it fits in the back area and doesnt stick out.

Im not a fan of how the ER sticks out. Wish it fit inside cause my mesh lid for the tank covers the top of the back compartments the way I built it.

I'll probably get the Sapphire in a couple weeks just because it fits in the back area and doesnt stick out.

I think if you're looking for a skimmer that works well in the rear compartment, Sapphire is probably the best you're gonna do. Hopefully you get great customer service and the new mesh-wheel design.

-Mike

TriggerHappyDude
I think if you're looking for a skimmer that works well in the rear compartment, Sapphire is probably the best you're gonna do. Hopefully you get great customer service and the new mesh-wheel design.

-Mike

What does the mesh wheel do? I have the Ver 1 design, no mesh wheel.

NirvanaandTool

-Mike

Yea thats what I figured. Heard the Tunze is very hard to dial in due to fluctuating water levels when water evaps.

Didnt really plan to cover the rear compartments when I built the mesh lid but I wanted the back corners covered cause I figured if they werent completely covered, Id end up with a jumper slipping out through them.

EDIT:

Anyone know what online sites have the upgraded model? Dont want to order and end up with the old model.

Edited by NirvanaandTool
What does the mesh wheel do? I have the Ver 1 design, no mesh wheel.

Makes better bubbles, you should email them, and see if they will send you the upgrade. I know they have sent it to others. But I'm not sure if it were a "free upgrade" or not. Hope you get a quick response, keep us posted.

-Mike :)

yeah that was the reason i got the Tunze over the ER...but the ER is more of a beast then the Tunze or the Sapphire hands down...but we are Americans so we will always compromise esthetics over functionality 9 times out of 10...

God bless the U.S.A. i would have it no other way...lol... :D

Yea thats what I figured. Heard the Tunze is very hard to dial in due to fluctuating water levels when water evaps.

Didnt really plan to cover the rear compartments when I built the mesh lid but I wanted the back corners covered cause I figured if they werent completely covered, Id end up with a jumper slipping out through them.

EDIT:

Anyone know what online sites have the upgraded model? Dont want to order and end up with the old model.

Sapphire website should have it and I bought one of the last older models(which has a mesh wheel anyway) in June so you should be fine....personally the sapphire frustrates the heck out of me it never worked right I had to mod the air hose to fix it and the chamber door to lower/raise water level broke and I never even got a chance to use it to adjust skimate

TriggerHappyDude
Sapphire website should have it and I bought one of the last older models(which has a mesh wheel anyway) in June so you should be fine....personally the sapphire frustrates the heck out of me it never worked right I had to mod the air hose to fix it and the chamber door to lower/raise water level broke and I never even got a chance to use it to adjust skimate

So they made an original model, version 1, with a mesh wheel? I don't have one? Wonder if they can do that now?

So they made an original model, version 1, with a mesh wheel? I don't have one? Wonder if they can do that now?

I am pretty sure mine is a mesh wheel when I look at the pump. They told me at the time they were fixing the "old version" possibly the mesh wheel but I don't remember. After I purchased I called them about the newer model realizing I had the older one. The difference had something to do with maybe how the bubbles re-circulated? I don't quite remember but it at the time seemed to me to be insignificant.

TriggerHappyDude
I am pretty sure mine is a mesh wheel when I look at the pump. They told me at the time they were fixing the "old version" possibly the mesh wheel but I don't remember. After I purchased I called them about the newer model realizing I had the older one. The difference had something to do with maybe how the bubbles re-circulated? I don't quite remember but it at the time seemed to me to be insignificant.

I'll contact them and see...bet I get an excuse and brush off.

PS, just orderd 8 frags for $115 from someone on here...will be in on Tuesday.

Have to get my water tested this weekend, and maybe do a small water change.

I have some other frags that are looking sick or dead, will post pics later for advice/opinions.

I'll contact them and see...bet I get an excuse and brush off.

PS, just orderd 8 frags for $115 from someone on here...will be in on Tuesday.

Have to get my water tested this weekend, and maybe do a small water change.

I have some other frags that are looking sick or dead, will post pics later for advice/opinions.

You may want to do alot of WCs like every couple days and dip your corals

I recently had an issue with my torch and a paly. One day couple weeks ago my 3 headed torch literally dissolved to one head with brown ooze coming out and my paly started to shrivel and brown. Possibly it was brown jelly but no other corals affected. I checked online/ LFS no one could quite explain it I do weekly WCs and only have 2 fish. My tests came out fine but my lfs said phosphates sometimes deceptive suggested doing water changes every couple days and dipping corals I also added a type of carbon in the 2nd chamber(I just have purigen). Everything looks good now.

TriggerHappyDude
You may want to do alot of WCs like every couple days and dip your corals

I recently had an issue with my torch and a paly. One day couple weeks ago my 3 headed torch literally dissolved to one head with brown ooze coming out and my paly started to shrivel and brown. Possibly it was brown jelly but no other corals affected. I checked online/ LFS no one could quite explain it I do weekly WCs and only have 2 fish. My tests came out fine but my lfs said phosphates sometimes deceptive suggested doing water changes every couple days and dipping corals I also added a type of carbon in the 2nd chamber(I just have purigen). Everything looks good now.

Dipping, in what?

I just bought a Kent Marine "Reef Starter Kit", comes with Iodide, Strontium&Molybdenum, and Liquid Calcium.

Did a water change this pas weekend, might do another one depending on my Reef Kit test.

Dipping, in what?

I just bought a Kent Marine "Reef Starter Kit", comes with Iodide, Strontium&Molybdenum, and Liquid Calcium.

Did a water change this pas weekend, might do another one depending on my Reef Kit test.

I use this, and love it... Smells good!!! -_-

revive-coral-cleaner.jpg

I just snapped a couple piks of 1 days worth of skimmate from my Euro-reef nano skimmer.

pretty good, i've been getting this much daily, and i barely feed at all.

-Mike B)

0122001953.jpg

0122001953a.jpg

TriggerHappyDude

Humm looks like what my SA is pulling in a day too...nice though, glad its working better for you.

I use this, and love it... Smells good!!! -_-

revive-coral-cleaner.jpg

What does dipping do? Clean the coral of what?

NirvanaandTool
yeah that was the reason i got the Tunze over the ER...but the ER is more of a beast then the Tunze or the Sapphire hands down...but we are Americans so we will always compromise esthetics over functionality 9 times out of 10...

God bless the U.S.A. i would have it no other way...lol... :D

How's the Tunze working out for ya?

Yea that pretty much sums us up. Its gotta look good THEN perform well haha

Gotcha. I checked there and didnt see any link for a store, instead saw links to retail stores instead so I was curious who would have the upgraded model.

Ugh I dont like the sound of their customer service. Have they been this bad for everyone?

Damn firefish and his jumpy habits preventing me from going Euro-Reef....

Dipping, in what?

Trigger do you have test kits for these supplements? You shouldnt dose anything without testing your levels to see if you are under or over-dosing.

Also, you are going to need an Alkalinity buffer and a Magnesium supplement.

Personally I just dose a 2 part solution for Calc and Alk and a Mag supplement. Everything else just gets replenished when you do a water change if you are using good salt.

Edited by NirvanaandTool
How's the Tunze working out for ya?

Yea that pretty much sums us up. Its gotta look good THEN perform well haha

Gotcha. I checked there and didnt see any link for a store, instead saw links to retail stores instead so I was curious who would have the upgraded model.

Ugh I dont like the sound of their customer service. Have they been this bad for everyone?

Damn firefish and his jumpy habits preventing me from going Euro-Reef....

Trigger do you have test kits for these supplements? You shouldnt dose anything without testing your levels to see if you are under or over-dosing.

Personally I just dose a 2 part solution for Calc and Alk and a Mag supplement. Everything else just gets replenished when you do a water change if you are using good salt.

Sapphire stepping up in the world... I think you will get the "newer" model b/c they did not have any inventory of the old back in june. But if you e-mail them they will respond.

Trigger from what I understand Calcium and Mag are the key supplements which I am actually considering adding additionally myself but want to get specific testing to know. I am discovering that if you use API testing kits it only tests for prosphates to a certain degree so even if you test looks good there may still be traces hence it was suggested doing a lot of changes like every 3 days. The dip helps prevent parasites but also it has nutrients that help.

SpankythePyro

Ok looking into stocking my tank now since I am getting rid of the tang, he is going back into my 50br set up at home.

I have 2 Picasso Clownfish sofar

I can handle extra bioload I know that, I am starting to use microbacter7, and I use a bunch of chateo.

My ammonia is at 0.50, nitrites, phos, and nitrates are all 0ppm

Looking into

Lyretail Antias

Mccoskers Wrasse

5-7 chromis

Edited by SpankythePyro
TriggerHappyDude

I have the API Salterwater Master Kit and API Reef Master Kit; which checks for Calcium, KH-Carbonate Hardness, Phosphate and Nitrate levels.

So I shouldn't use the Kent stuff I bought? I can return it. It was an impulse buy.

I do have 3 Seachem products; Reef Buffer (Raises pH to 8.3), Reef Builder (Raises Carbonate Alk), and Marine Buffer (Safely raises and maintains pH to 8.3)

So, I'll test my water today, doesn't sound like I even need the Kent Marine stuff...?