Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Official All Solana Owner's Thread

d'Espresso

NirvanaandTool

Trigger - pull the bubble algae out by hand. The bubbles are pretty durable and you should be able to pick them off the rock by hand. That's what I do. Reason I do that is you have less of a chance of them spreading cause you don't pop the bubble which releases spores. An emerald crab will eat them but pop the bubble in the process spreading the algae around. Kind of a vicious cycle.

As for your coral what are your calc and alk levels? Make sure your sps has adequate high flow on it. Some corals will brown if your levels are low.

Whats all that macro algae on your rocks? Looks like caulerpa (sp?). If it is get those rocks out and clean them cause nothing will eat that stuff and it will take over. I had a frag of zoas with it in between the polyps and had to toss the frag because the algae was taking over the frag.

My aqualifter works fine for me .. Just run it long enough that it can overcome the headloss.

TriggerHappyDude
Trigger - pull the bubble algae out by hand. The bubbles are pretty durable and you should be able to pick them off the rock by hand. That's what I do. Reason I do that is you have less of a chance of them spreading cause you don't pop the bubble which releases spores. An emerald crab will eat them but pop the bubble in the process spreading the algae around. Kind of a vicious cycle.

As for your coral what are your calc and alk levels? Make sure your sps has adequate high flow on it. Some corals will brown if your levels are low.

Whats all that macro algae on your rocks? Looks like caulerpa (sp?). If it is get those rocks out and clean them cause nothing will eat that stuff and it will take over. I had a frag of zoas with it in between the polyps and had to toss the frag because the algae was taking over the frag.

My aqualifter works fine for me .. Just run it long enough that it can overcome the headloss.

I will have to check my calc and alk levels, if I have a test kit for that, not sure. I'll get back to you on that.

The macro algae, you mean the grean leafy looking stuff, yeah I've got a bit of it around that rock and another, I will pull them out and pick it off, was told to do that by another reefer. I'm scared of that bubble algae too, guess I can pull the small rocks/frags its on and pluck it out, trying not to burst it.

I think the next tank I setup, my 150gallon (one day), will have cooked rock or non-LIVE rock, I don't see a need for all the hitch hiker stuff...

NirvanaandTool

Definitely pick up those test kits if you don't have em. Need to keep those levels in check for a reef tank especially when you have sps and lps.

Yea try to remove all of it. Its a big pain.

Not all hitchhikers are bad. Hitchhiker coral, feather dusters and bristleworms are pretty good for your tank.

TriggerHappyDude
Definitely pick up those test kits if you don't have em. Need to keep those levels in check for a reef tank especially when you have sps and lps.

Yea try to remove all of it. Its a big pain.

Not all hitchhikers are bad. Hitchhiker coral, feather dusters and bristleworms are pretty good for your tank.

Ok, I think I do, I have a API Reef Test Kit, just haven't used it yet.

I suppose those might be low, so after I get the numbers, I'll ask about getting them to a better level.

I do have the feather dusters, some small ones and I've seen the bristleworms out at night.

NirvanaandTool
Ok, I think I do, I have a API Reef Test Kit, just haven't used it yet.

I suppose those might be low, so after I get the numbers, I'll ask about getting them to a better level.

I do have the feather dusters, some small ones and I've seen the bristleworms out at night.

You have both tests then. You should test for those two at least every other week if not once a week. If the levels are low you need to add chemical supplements to the water and do water changes to replenish trace elements. But the testing is there so you can regulate your dosage and not over or underdose.

Those hitchhikers are good. Feather dusters are filter feeders and bristleworms and bristle stars are good detritus eaters.

TriggerHappyDude
You have both tests then. You should test for those two at least every other week if not once a week. If the levels are low you need to add chemical supplements to the water and do water changes to replenish trace elements. But the testing is there so you can regulate your dosage and not over or underdose.

Those hitchhikers are good. Feather dusters are filter feeders and bristleworms and bristle stars are good detritus eaters.

Thanks, I will test then tonight or tomorrow and see where I'm at.

I have been adding SeaChem's ReefBuilder for a few weeks now, hoping to see if that helps.

I'll be doing another 2.5 gallon water change this weekend.

I'm going to be setting my ato up here pretty quick. I plan on using a mj1200 because I'm 99% certain the aqua lifter wont push water that high. I'm wondering how everyone keeps the hose in the tank ie a way to secure it?

I use an Aqualifter... I have it in the drawer of the stand! Works like a charm!!!

B)

I got an MP10 a few days ago and I am having a problem with the water levels in the chambers. My second chamber water level is very high and is making the 3rd chamber low which turns the ATO on and lowers my salinity. Has anyone had this problem? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks ahead

I got an MP10 a few days ago and I am having a problem with the water levels in the chambers. My second chamber water level is very high and is making the 3rd chamber low which turns the ATO on and lowers my salinity. Has anyone had this problem? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks ahead

Weird Mp20 in mine @ 100% with no issues. I'm not sure how the power-head would affect your water level :huh:

-Mike

It seems like its throwing too much water in and there's not enought flow to get it through the 2nd chamber. But I'm not sure, by the way my 2nd chamber has a fuge, purigen and chemi pure.

You could be restricting to much flow with everything that is stuck in the 2nd chamber. I would take a little out and see if that helps.

It seems like its throwing too much water in and there's not enought flow to get it through the 2nd chamber. But I'm not sure, by the way my 2nd chamber has a fuge, purigen and chemi pure.
Edited by Pudge957

Sorry to know u have to leave us for a while, Good luck and we hope u be back in the future. Solana is my first tank and it has its elegance and style. I'm sure everyone here has the same feeling. I'm seriously thinking about the 67gal solana if my apartment is a little bigger.

Thanks but sorry the tank is down now. Waiting for someone to pick it up for a sweet cheap deal! LOL
You could be restricting to much flow with everything that is stuck in the 2nd chamber. I would take a little out and see if that helps.

I trimmed up the chaeto earlier today and it seems to have fixed the problem

thanks

NirvanaandTool
I trimmed up the chaeto earlier today and it seems to have fixed the problem

thanks

What are you using for lighting for the second chamber?

I was having a similar problem with the second chamber - my chemipure elite would clog up and restrict flow to chamber 3. I ended up taking it out and am going to set up a fuge in chamber 2 followed by some purigen or carbon instead. Even after the chemipure was cleaned in old tank water it would clog up within a week or two and would cloud the water up like crazy the first couple hours after being put in.

What are you using for lighting for the second chamber?

I was having a similar problem with the second chamber - my chemipure elite would clog up and restrict flow to chamber 3. I ended up taking it out and am going to set up a fuge in chamber 2 followed by some purigen or carbon instead. Even after the chemipure was cleaned in old tank water it would clog up within a week or two and would cloud the water up like crazy the first couple hours after being put in.

I use a submersible light from intank (steviet). My 2nd chamber has, in this order, filter floss, purigen, chemipure elite, then the fuge. I also noticed that the filter floss is getting exhausted much quicker with the excess flow and that was also clogging it a bit. I may have to just take the chemipure out we'll see if it keeps clogging up.

So here is my question.. Am I the only Solana owner that runs nothing in the 2nd chamber? lol. The only thing I have in the 2nd chamber is the drip plate and the intank box for the vortech.

NirvanaandTool
I use a submersible light from intank (steviet). My 2nd chamber has, in this order, filter floss, purigen, chemipure elite, then the fuge. I also noticed that the filter floss is getting exhausted much quicker with the excess flow and that was also clogging it a bit. I may have to just take the chemipure out we'll see if it keeps clogging up.

How do you like that light?

Was looking into them but I'm not sure if they will add heat to the tank.

Is it growing chaeto well?

So here is my question.. Am I the only Solana owner that runs nothing in the 2nd chamber? lol. The only thing I have in the 2nd chamber is the drip plate and the intank box for the vortech.

Only one I've seen here!!! :) Why don't you? Just curious.

B)