Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Official All Solana Owner's Thread

d'Espresso

TriggerHappyDude
By the way, I still am going to send you some zoas, I have been out of work for a month so I didn't want to ship anything. But I'm good now, so I'll check the tank to see if I can find a good frag for you.

Sounds good. Should I bee feeding my corals? What do you feed them? Right now I just feed my two fish, a mix of brine shrimp, mysis shrimp etc...but nothing for the corals, what do they eat?

The corals I have are all pictured here: My Beginner Corals

Edited by TriggerHappyDude
Sounds good. Should I bee feeding my corals? What do you feed them? Right now I just feed my two fish, a mix of brine shrimp, mysis shrimp etc...but nothing for the corals, what do they eat?

The corals I have are all pictured here: My Beginner Corals

I wouldn't spot feed any of your corals, except maybe #15. Don't think it's necessary, but wouldn't hurt. Your corals should get most of their nutrients from lighting and water (calcium and such), so make sure to keep up with water changes.

That's advice from someone who, until last week, just went a month and a half without a water change.

TriggerHappyDude

I just spent 20 minutes with some Blue Vet Aiptasia Control, trying to knock out some of my colonies of stuff, think I got a lot of the bigger ones done. I'll try to pick up a Peppermint Shrimp this weekend and see if he'll keep the smaller ones down and keep me good...thanks for the advice.

Mixing my salt water now for a good water change.

I got mine from petsolutions as well but I didn't find any coupons

I also don't have all the foam to put the tank back in its larger box... I think its going to break in transit but its already broken so whats the use. If they don't send me a new tank I will be pissed. I am not going dumpster diving to get a couple pieces of foam lol. Thats the only real thing I am worried about.

Sad about the picasso :(

I would reccomend hyperboy for getting some cheap picassos, they are $50 and I believe he has a website now where you can order based on WYSIWYG

what is the url for his site?

Hello All, I just ordered my 34g Solana, T5 Nova, Espresso stand. Now I need to get a heater. I figured a stealth heater. 100w or 150w? They are both the same price, currently. Looking forward to joining this forum!

Hello All, I just ordered my 34g Solana, T5 Nova, Espresso stand. Now I need to get a heater. I figured a stealth heater. 100w or 150w? They are both the same price, currently. Looking forward to joining this forum!

200w stealth all day...

I dont even use my heater so i took it out and just use my dual fan to keep tge temp on level because my mh keep it warm on the water surface so my rkl kick in the temp control and activate the fans and turn off at 78 degree.

So it all depend if you live in the north or south and your room temp. But i guess you probably need one for the winter. :)

I go with the 150w and snug it in the first back chamber.

No kidding, 200w....wasn't sure that would fit.

The bigger the heater the less time it will take to get to its ideal temp. 200w is like $4 more you live in chicago...

just got mine from my house today... apparently they shipped the starphire/low iron one :)

is it in one piece? Im so jealous if u said it a starphiire low iron tank. I guess after 3-4 broke tank they fely bad and sent you a better kind.

Jealous / :)

SpankythePyro

yup all in one piece. I have 3" of water in the bottom to test the bottom seams.

Waiting on my new stand to get here before I set everything up :)

And yea the glass is def starphire/low iron, it is not as green as the other ones were lol

is it in one piece? Im so jealous if u said it a starphiire low iron tank. I guess after 3-4 broke tank they fely bad and sent you a better kind.

Jealous / :)

ive got the starphire version as well, love it!

TriggerHappyDude

So I swapped out the black sponge in the overflow with some of that blue/white filter padding, and I guess the water pressure has pushed it all the way down to the bottom of that overflow chamber, any suggestions on what I could use to fish it back up and out of there?

So I swapped out the black sponge in the overflow with some of that blue/white filter padding, and I guess the water pressure has pushed it all the way down to the bottom of that overflow chamber, any suggestions on what I could use to fish it back up and out of there?

i use this...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...cfm?pcatid=4035

got sick of fishing it out so i bent a paper clip and spray painted it with water proof enamel and used it to hang the black sponge off the overflow so it cant be drug down, just clean the sponge when it gets real dirty...

Edited by DAHNIC561
TriggerHappyDude

Those won't work, I'm not talking its in the back of chamber 1, its in the OVERFLOW the little part where the water runs down in the back, I don't think its in the opened part of chamber one? I think its stuck in the black plastic overflow part somewhere? I can't really see behind there to tell. If it is then those tongs would work...I'll have to do more looking with a flash light...

I use an mp20 and love it. I changed out the existing return pump for a MJ900. That lowered the water level just a little bit in the front part of the tank. I'm thinking about changing that MJ900 for a MJ400, just to slow down water flow in the back. I obviously have enough flow in the front from the mp20.

all you had to do was turn the flow down on the stock return it has a flow adjuster on it...

TriggerHappyDude
i use this...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...cfm?pcatid=4035

got sick of fishing it out so i bent a paper clip and spray painted it with water proof enamel and used it to hang the black sponge off the overflow so it cant be drug down, just clean the sponge when it gets real dirty...

The paper clip is not a bad idea. Did those tongs fit down into that plastic chamber when your sponge was way down there?

The paper clip is not a bad idea. Did those tongs fit down into that plastic chamber when your sponge was way down there?

yes it opens just enough so you can grab it and drag it up...also you'll see when u drag it up it will pull up all the gunk that is in the overflow which i also use the tongs for......

Edited by DAHNIC561
TriggerHappyDude

Sweet, thanks for the tips, purchasing this now along with some other stuff.

I need a nice razor scraper, so I'll get a long 24" one, so I can scrape down all sides of the tank.

What should I get to boost the frags I have, they are not growing much at all...

SeaChem has: Marine Buffer, Reef Buffer, and Reef Builder.

Any of these help to promote the growth of my frags?

Sweet, thanks for the tips, purchasing this now along with some other stuff.

I need a nice razor scraper, so I'll get a long 24" one, so I can scrape down all sides of the tank.

What should I get to boost the frags I have, they are not growing much at all...

SeaChem has: Marine Buffer, Reef Buffer, and Reef Builder.

Any of these help to promote the growth of my frags?

this help me some...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...fm?pcatid=18490

heres a link for some coupons to the site also...

http://www.couponheaven.com/merchant.cfm/drsfostersmith

Edited by DAHNIC561