SaltCritters.com

TriggerHappy about my Solana Reef

TriggerHappyDude

Blenny's are cool fish. I'd like to keep a blue spotted Jawfish, but I don't want to cover my tank.

Why not cover the tank? I like to keep mine covered - it keeps the evaporation down a bit - but wasn't aware of a drawback (aside from heat, but my tank seems to peak at about 80.9F).

Osric

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why not cover the tank? I like to keep mine covered - it keeps the evaporation down a bit - but wasn't aware of a drawback (aside from heat, but my tank seems to peak at about 80.9F).

Your right, the only drawback is heat really. I just like the look of the Solana "open".

TriggerHappyDude
Your right, the only drawback is heat really. I just like the look of the Solana "open".

Are blennies, gobies, chromis and clown fish ok if I keep the lid off the Solana?

I'll probably leave it on over night but like to have it off during the day.

TriggerHappyDude
Stop buyin' goodies bro!!! Your giving me "reef envy"!!! :haha:

Congrats on the RKE!!!

Sorry David, just about done now, Live Rock is all that is left, I think?

TriggerHappyDude
Wow I so want a RKE!! After I get done paying my Uncle Sammy his fair share in taxes it will definately be an addition.

That's funny I used the money Uncle Sam gave me, I didn't have to pay him! :P

TriggerHappyDude

Ok, here is a VERY EARLY list of fish I'm thinking of adding to my tank...keep in mind I don't know a lot about them, and who is good with LPS/SPS/Sofites etc...so I'm looking for advice here on these fish...but this is just a quick and dirty list of fish I like and would love to see in my tank...maybe not all at the same time etc...just what I like and could build a combo of them...

1. Blue/Green Chromis
  2. Goby (Yellow Watchmen, Wheelers Watchman, Orange Spotted)
  3. Firefish
  4. Clown Fish
  5. Angel Fish (Flame or Coral Beauty)
  6. Hawkfish (Flame or Longnose)
  7. Wrasse

I know I want the Chromis, Clown, and a Goby...

What do people think of a Lionfish in a reef? Like the Dwarfs?

Are blennies, gobies, chromis and clown fish ok if I keep the lid off the Solana?

I'll probably leave it on over night but like to have it off during the day.

I have a bicolor blenny and a maroon clown. I never put on the lid and so far they've been behaving and staying put.

Plus, I like looking down at the tank from the surface a lot. the fish and corals look very cool from this perspective.

Ok, here is a VERY EARLY list of fish I'm thinking of adding to my tank...keep in mind I don't know a lot about them, and who is good with LPS/SPS/Sofites etc...so I'm looking for advice here on these fish...but this is just a quick and dirty list of fish I like and would love to see in my tank...maybe not all at the same time etc...just what I like and could build a combo of them...

1. Blue/Green Chromis
  2. Goby (Yellow Watchmen, Wheelers Watchman, Orange Spotted)
  3. Firefish
  4. Clown Fish
  5. Angel Fish (Flame or Coral Beauty)
  6. Hawkfish (Flame or Longnose)
  7. Wrasse

I'd think twice about the LF since they are big, and knock a lot of things over ffrom what I've heard.

Nice list of fish! :P

TriggerHappyDude
I'd think twice about the LF since they are big, and knock a lot of things over ffrom what I've heard.

Nice list of fish! :P

Yeah they are bigger, even the Dwarfs but I had one in the past and he was fun to feed.

Just was getting feedback, not sure its a great fit for my others. The list is just brainstorming.

Yeah they are bigger, even the Dwarfs but I had one in the past and he was fun to feed.

Just was getting feedback, not sure its a great fit for my others. The list is just brainstorming.

firefish & bi-color blennies are jumpers, know this from experinece & I believe most wrasses tend to be jumpers. I'm setting up a rimless, coverless 44g so I'll be watching to see what others say about jumpers too.

TriggerHappyDude

Yeah, can't all fish be jumpers? I think I've seen this on just about every kind of fish mentioned.

Why do they jump? Is it cause its in their nature, like they do it in the wild? Or cause they are unhappy with their tanks and/or water quality? Guess I'll just need to stock up on LPS/SPS and softies that don't jump and get just a few fish.

Clown Gobies are my Fave, For sure ill be getting me one of those.

I had two of them in my 90g which has sps, lps & softies. I only have one now because one ended up in my overflow and I think became fair game to some hermits stuck in there. The one that did end up in the overflow was an LPS picker. I watched this goby plucking & eating the tips of my elegance. Maybe I should have left a fish manual open in front of the tank that tells him he's supossed to pick at sps, not lps :lol:

Yeah, can't all fish be jumpers? I think I've seen this on just about every kind of fish mentioned.

Why do they jump? Is it cause its in their nature, like they do it in the wild? Or cause they are unhappy with their tanks and/or water quality? Guess I'll just need to stock up on LPS/SPS and softies that don't jump and get just a few fish.

Yes, I would assume so but some are more prone to jumping than others. The firefish is notorious for it.

get a Clown goby :P

i just got one but hes still abit scared, hiding in my.....

nvm he just took the leap of faith and started swimming around on my rocks!!! :]

he was hiding on my heater alll night last night when i put him in =p

he had a whole lot of character at the fish store though, just gotta give him time.

& i love your equipment, u got a lot of nice stuff :]

i wish i could afford a solana.

Clown gobies typically do not pick on corals right?? My ATO just came in at my LFS, finally picking it up. I think I lost 5 lbs running to fill those effen bottles 4 times a day. What ATO did you,are you getting trigga?

Oh and I want a midas blenny, I think those are sweet too.

Clown gobies typically do not pick on corals right?? My ATO just came in at my LFS, finally picking it up. I think I lost 5 lbs running to fill those effen bottles 4 times a day. What ATO did you,are you getting trigga?

Oh and I want a midas blenny, I think those are sweet too.

No, not typically but sometimes they will pick at the polyps of sps and they lay their eggs on the underside of sps. This is why I found it weird that mine was eating my lps. I would literally watch it fill it's belly with my elegance..........even though I fed a couple times a day.

Midas, very sweet looking fish. I would love one and I've been trying to get one around here for 6 months or more but now that I'm going topless I don't want to risk it. Everythng I come across says they are known jumpers and a covered tank is a must.

I have the topless solana and put in a jumper, my cat keeps her in the tank...LOL

Wouldn't work in house, mine would just try to go in after it. One of mine jumped right into my 90g one time, that was a funny sight, lol.

• Clown Fish
  • Angel Fish (Flame or Coral Beauty)

So in response to an earlier post, I've read lots of tales of clowns jumping out of open tanks, so if you must have it open they might not be the best choice. That said, I have a pair of clowns in my Solana and they're great.

As for the lionfish, you might add it at the end to eat all your other livestock :-)

Finally, I too really want a dwarf angel, but I keep reading that this size reef is too small and they're a potential coral hazard. I will probably risk it anyway and learn the hard way... :(

Osric

TriggerHappyDude

Thanks for all the feedback, this is good for me to read as I draw nearer to actually getting water in the tank...it is funny 12 pages and NO WATER YET!?!?! WTF!!

Thanks for all the feedback, this is good for me to read as I draw nearer to actually getting water in the tank...it is funny 12 pages and NO WATER YET!?!?! WTF!!

Set your options to 100 posts per page and it's only 3 pages :-)

Osric

I have a clown an d a six line in mine and they are fine they don't even go near the top they hang in the middle and near the bottom

TriggerHappyDude
Set your options to 100 posts per page and it's only 3 pages :-)

Osric

That was an awesome tid bit of advice! Cool...

I'm going to have to hold up on the FISH talk for now, and refocus on a CUC as that would be the first thing AFTER my cycle right? Which brings me back to reality, and reels me back into the fact I haven't picked Live Rock yet!! I did order 30 lbs of CaribSea sand...20 lbs Ocean Direct Original Grade and 10lbs ArgiAlive West Caribbean Reef.

Hope they mix well...

Archived