Top Shelf Aquatics

TriggerHappy about my Solana Reef

TriggerHappyDude

TriggerHappyDude
Do you have a picture of the hanging harware attached to the ceiling?

Here is a picture of the hanging hardware, the piece on the right is what you screw into the ceiling, and then the left screws into it...I used a COBRA 1/8" Toggle Screw, found at Lowes.

IMG_6532.jpg

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TriggerHappyDude
I got an amazing deal, most defiantly. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Keep in mind.. you're calling the Tunze a controller, and while it does have a controller for the auto top off, that's all it does. The RKL or RKE control everything else. For example, my RKE today controls all my lighting, moon lights, heater, fans, pumps, and skimmer and will also control my 2 part dosing in the near future.

When I want to do a water change I use Standby mode 4 on my RKE which shuts down my return pump, skimmer, and heater only leaving my Koralia Nano to move some water around. I don't have to search for the devices I want turned off. I hit 1 button, do the water change, hit the button again and I'm back in business.

I also have alerts setup to start my Azoo fan if the temperature rises above 80.5 degrees. If for some reason the fans can not cool the temperature down, the RKE has another alert setup at 81.5 degrees to shut off the heater (in case it got stuck on) and finally the last alert at 82.5 degrees shuts down my lighting system.

I can put the Tunze Osmolator on a channel as well and set the RKE to only allow it to run for X number of minutes per X hours. In the rare event of a sensor failure this at least would help keep the 3 1/2 gallons of water sitting in the reservoir from flooding my room.

In the near future I will have my RKE setup with 2 peristaltic dosing pumps to dose my 2 part solution every day at the same time. No more daily dosing calcium and alk.

The options with a controller are endless really. Are they needed? No. Are they nice? You bet!

I have nothing against the JBJ system, but remember you still have to add a pump to that setup. The Tunze is true plug and play. And to answer your question about using the Tunze sensors with the RKE I doubt it would work. The optical sensor is what drives the price of the Tunze Osmolator up. I've seen optical float switch sensors that you can use with the RKE or RKL but they cost upwards of $150.00.

Yeah, I just meant that the Tunze Osmolator has a ATO controller and the RKE can control ATO as well.

You've just sold me on going with the RKE from your description of what you do with it. Thats what I need and want...and the NET stuff will be good for an IT Techie like myself. So I just need to pull the trigger. I've decided that the autotopoff.com switches are what i want to setup my ATO, but I'm curious to see the optical ones you've mentioned that could work with RKE, can you share that info?

Yeah, I just meant that the Tunze Osmolator has a ATO controller and the RKE can control ATO as well.

You've just sold me on going with the RKE from your description of what you do with it. Thats what I need and want...and the NET stuff will be good for an IT Techie like myself. So I just need to pull the trigger. I've decided that the autotopoff.com switches are what i want to setup my ATO, but I'm curious to see the optical ones you've mentioned that could work with RKE, can you share that info?

I won't ever run another aquarium without a controller now that I have one.

autotopoff.com actully sells an optical sensor. From the home page click on Custom and it's the first product.

I found more info on optical sensors on this page:

http://www.fluidswitch.com/pages/OpticalLi...ensorOS-900.htm

I also found that Tunze will sell the optical sensor itself with the standard float switch backup similar to the one autotopoff.com sells for around $150.

In the end I know my RKE will control an ATO for around $50 (sensors, brackets, wires, pump, ect) but I wanted the peace of mind that the optical sensor will provide and when you read over and over that the Tunze Osmolator is a must have/would never run without it again product I pulled the trigger. The MP20 will have to wait!

TriggerHappyDude
I won't ever run another aquarium without a controller now that I have one.

autotopoff.com actully sells an optical sensor. From the home page click on Custom and it's the first product.

I found more info on optical sensors on this page:

http://www.fluidswitch.com/pages/OpticalLi...ensorOS-900.htm

I also found that Tunze will sell the optical sensor itself with the standard float switch backup similar to the one autotopoff.com sells for around $150.

In the end I know my RKE will control an ATO for around $50 (sensors, brackets, wires, pump, ect) but I wanted the peace of mind that the optical sensor will provide and when you read over and over that the Tunze Osmolator is a must have/would never run without it again product I pulled the trigger. The MP20 will have to wait!

Where can I see the price for the Tunze optical sensor and float switch?

Which one would work best with the RKE, Tunze or ATO.com?

I'm thinking just the simple float switches with the RKE will be fine for me.

Where can I see the price for the Tunze optical sensor and float switch?

I knew you were going to ask me that question! I've been searching for the link and I can't recall where exactly I found it. You can goto Tunze, click the Osmolator, then spare parts and find it bundeled with the actual controller for around $150. I found just there sensor and switch but for the life of me I can't remember where now. And of course I didn't bookmark it.

If you wanted to use the Tunze sensor/switch with the RKE you'd have to get some tech. specs on it to see if it's a normally open or closed switch. Besides that I don't know if they use proprietary wiring. The RKE will only accept a 2 wire switch.

I'll trade you my autotopoff.com switches and bracket for that MP40 you got! :D

TriggerHappyDude
I knew you were going to ask me that question! I've been searching for the link and I can't recall where exactly I found it. You can goto Tunze, click the Osmolator, then spare parts and find it bundeled with the actual controller for around $150. I found just there sensor and switch but for the life of me I can't remember where now. And of course I didn't bookmark it.

If you wanted to use the Tunze sensor/switch with the RKE you'd have to get some tech. specs on it to see if it's a normally open or closed switch. Besides that I don't know if they use proprietary wiring. The RKE will only accept a 2 wire switch.

I'll trade you my autotopoff.com switches and bracket for that MP40 you got! :D

I think I'll just get the ATO.com hardware, seems easy enough.

TriggerHappyDude
Beautiful tank! One question though, If you could change your lighting fixture, would you?

Nope, I'm 120% happy with it so far. It was expensive, but its a great light and I love the look of the fixture.

I haven't got a chance yet to see how it does, with fish and coral, but its supposed to be top of the line.

Why do you ask?

These are some of my inspiration...got my blood pumping for rimless/hanging light tanks...

If you are weak at heart for rimless tanks, like me, please proceed with caution!

156gy7.jpg

This one is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE, once I graduate up from at Solana, I'll have a tank like this...

IMG_0884.jpg

Elos500001.jpg

redolight.jpg

100_0697.jpg

DSC_6162.jpg

935433363_548f46f43a_b.jpg

DSCN2196.jpg

005-2.jpg

FTS56g.jpg

AngledFTS56g.jpg

Picture063.jpg

Did you get one of these "sump" covers with your Solana?

IMG00001-20090304-1312.jpg

I was in a LFS today and they had a Cardif sitting next to a Solana and I noticed the Cardif has the plastic cover over the rear chambers. I asked the store owner about it and he said that's the first Cardif they received and did not know why Current did not include it with the Solana. I offered him $10 for it but he didn't want to sell it.

No! But we need to find out more, I'll write Current-USA, do we really need them?

I don't really need it... but I want it. I just emailed Current about it. To me it really cleans up the back chambers.

Nope, I'm 120% happy with it so far. It was expensive, but its a great light and I love the look of the fixture.

I haven't got a chance yet to see how it does, with fish and coral, but its supposed to be top of the line.

Why do you ask?

Just curious. I have a solana and am in need of a new light, i've been considering the ATI fixture but wanted someone with firsthand experience. How's the noise level btw?

TriggerHappyDude
Just curious. I have a solana and am in need of a new light, i've been considering the ATI fixture but wanted someone with firsthand experience. How's the noise level btw?

Noise level on the lights? Zero, Zilch, Nada. These lights are top of the line.

Noise level on the lights? Zero, Zilch, Nada. These lights are top of the line.

Fantastic! That's exactly what i wanted to hear. Btw, Great job on the tank setup, easily the best solana yet.

TriggerHappyDude
Fantastic! That's exactly what i wanted to hear. Btw, Great job on the tank setup, easily the best solana yet.

Thanks, long way to go before I can even half way accept that compliment.

I suggest, if you have the money, these lights, and if you like that style, they are awesome!

IMO that plastic cover is garbage! Besides with Sapphire Skimmer it wont fit and with all the ATO and Temp probe stuff just too much...

Current USA replied... stated only the Cardiff comes with the cover, however they will be making it available for Solana owners as a "add on" in the near future. No word on price. I don't really need it, just thought it was cool.

TriggerHappyDude
Current USA replied... stated only the Cardiff comes with the cover, however they will be making it available for Solana owners as a "add on" in the near future. No word on price. I don't really need it, just thought it was cool.

Ha, thats funny Ike who has the Current USA blog, wrote me back and said this...

"We do not make these for Solana Aquariums, only the Cardiff Aquariums. I don't think they are compatible with each other. Thanks, Ike "

I don't think I want or need one...

TriggerHappyDude
What's the latest word on rock? Have you decided what you're going to go with yet?

Not yet, I'm going to hit a few LFS's this weekend and talk to some of them and see what they have in the store. Then decide. I'm also still trying to figure out my RO/DI water holder, I don't have anything other than my 5 gallon buckets, and need to get something bigger so I can fill the tank in one shot. And also need to get the Maxi Jet 1200 and some tubing, etc...oh and ATO stuff and the RKE!

Not yet, I'm going to hit a few LFS's this weekend and talk to some of them and see what they have in the store. Then decide. I'm also still trying to figure out my RO/DI water holder, I don't have anything other than my 5 gallon buckets, and need to get something bigger so I can fill the tank in one shot. And also need to get the Maxi Jet 1200 and some tubing, etc...oh and ATO stuff and the RKE!

A good ro/di holder would be a 32g trash can.

TriggerHappyDude
A good ro/di holder would be a 32g trash can.

Yes, the Brute 32 or 44 gallon trash can I see and hear is a good choice.

But I am trying to find something not as BIG or hard to lug around since the RO/DI water will be in the utility room or garage and the tank is in the office. I know you can get the rollers but after all that its like $70! I know I've not gone cheap on my other equipment, but this one I think I can find a better solution? But I might just break down and get it anyway. Just need to check and see if it is stamped with HDPE (High-density polyethylene) on its base before I buy whatever I buy right?

Yes, the Brute 32 or 44 gallon trash can I see and hear is a good choice.

But I am trying to find something not as BIG or hard to lug around since the RO/DI water will be in the utility room or garage and the tank is in the office. I know you can get the rollers but after all that its like $70! I know I've not gone cheap on my other equipment, but this one I think I can find a better solution? But I might just break down and get it anyway. Just need to check and see if it is stamped with HDPE (High-density polyethylene) on its base before I buy whatever I buy right?

HDPE, LDPE, PET are all fine for storage of water. I believe the Brute cans are HDPE. I kept my Brute in the garage which was right on the other side of the utility room wall.

TriggerHappyDude

I guess thats what I'll do, add the rollers too. They make a 32g and 44g version of the Brute, my tank is 34, should I get the bigger or smaller one?

Archived