Coral Vue Hydros

TriggerHappy about my Solana Reef

TriggerHappyDude

TriggerHappyDude
im gona come rob you i want vortech! :P

how much that cost you?

I got it from the GB (Group Buy) that StandD has going on now...PM him and he'll give you a quote real quick.

Not sure I'm supposed to advertise the price...sorry, or PM me, then I can say?

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TriggerHappyDude

The UPS man dropped of a nice little present for me today!

It a Sapphire Aquatics - Nano Skimmer for the Solana. Shipped very nicely. Easy to assemble. Pretty.

Just a few questions for you all...what is that tube thing hanging off and where does it go?

I read the instructions and it says to wash this thing down in warm water before using.

It also says for the first week of use, leave the gate valve all the way down while the skimmer is breaking in.

How do you know when thats done and when to raise and how far to raise the gate valve?

IMG_6632.jpg

IMG_6634.jpg

IMG_6635.jpg

IMG_6636.jpg

IMG_6644.jpg

IMG_6645.jpg

Guess I'll keep the stock skimmer around in case of emergency? Do people sell them? Should I keep or sell?

Chamber #1 done.

Next step up, chamber #2...The Filter Media and/or Bio Media!

I guess in the bottom chamber, I should put cheato? (and submersible LED lights)

Then in the top chamber, that Wal-Mart filter floss I picked up?

What about ChemiPure & SeaChem Purigen? Top/Bottom? Goes in Mesh Bags?

Another question. My planning for the ReefKeeper Elite has me researching float switches and what not, if I remove the ATO bottles and that piece that held the bottles, does the water in the 3rd chamber get to the same level as the tank, so I can put float switches in there to use as my ATO monitors?

Another question. My planning for the ReefKeeper Elite has me researching float switches and what not, if I remove the ATO bottles and that piece that held the bottles, does the water in the 3rd chamber get to the same level as the tank, so I can put float switches in there to use as my ATO monitors?

You might be able raise the water level but you should keep the water level where it is otherwise it'll rise in the other areas and then your skimmer will not work.

TriggerHappyDude
You might be able raise the water level but you should keep the water level where it is otherwise it'll rise in the other areas and then your skimmer will not work.

See I'm showing my noobness. I have just never seen the tank with water, so I don't know how far down the water level is in that 3rd chamber, I'm assuming then that float switches and their place holders will allow them to go down far enough to do their job?

TriggerHappyDude
Looks like you have been getting all sorts of goodies lately lol that vortech is sweet

Yeah, more to come, ATI ships Monday. Got my heaters stuff coming too. My RO/DI unit is coming too.

I'm still debating on the ReefKeeper Elite, its a lot of money to drop. I just about bought the $200 Tunze ATO/Osomolator, but if I'm getting a RKE, I don't need that, I can do ATO with a few simple float switches. So I'm trying to decide what to do there. I really think I need the automation, and that kind of "technology", since I"m an IT guy and all...

Hey Trigger your build looks great. I finally replied to you over on my thread if you want to check it out.

Nice looking skimmer! You will be spending money on corals in no time. I wish I had the money for all the auto controller gadgets. What I do have is an auto top off. I got it from autotopoff.com it works great and was super cheap. I put the float switch in the 3rd chamber and have a 2.5 ga water jug with top cut off for the reservoir, works great.

Wow Trigga! Like yer goodies! Specially the light that is effen sick. Cant wait till you get yours up and running. Highly jealous of the vortech.... I just got my tax bill and I am helping provide stimulas to the country so I gota hold off on my expensive purchases for a while. I will get a ATO unit this week though, I figure the more time it takes my to manually do it the less time I am working. Cant wait until you start cycling....I did update some pics in All in one tanks today :) . I love the solana!

TriggerHappyDude
Wow Trigga! Like yer goodies! Specially the light that is effen sick. Cant wait till you get yours up and running. Highly jealous of the vortech.... I just got my tax bill and I am helping provide stimulas to the country so I gota hold off on my expensive purchases for a while. I will get a ATO unit this week though, I figure the more time it takes my to manually do it the less time I am working. Cant wait until you start cycling....I did update some pics in All in one tanks today :) . I love the solana!

I'll go check out the pics. What ATO are you leaning towards? I think you should go with the $200 Tunze Osomolator...I hear its the best ATO out there, got 2 sensors, main one is IR and the safety one is a float switch, both in there you should have a good ATO running. Just what I heard.

I'll go check out the pics. What ATO are you leaning towards? I think you should go with the $200 Tunze Osomolator...I hear its the best ATO out there, got 2 sensors, main one is IR and the safety one is a float switch, both in there you should have a good ATO running. Just what I heard.

My LFS is trying to talk me out of the tunze, they have one that has 2 sensors I forgot the name. It comes in on Wednesday, I will check it out but i have not made a definate decission yet. So many products, so many opinions.... I know tunze has the vote here though and so far I have been pleased with the help from this forum. I need also to order underwater LED lights for the center fuge. I am starting to see some diatoms, I think....

I just picked up an ATO from autotopoff.com it works like a champ. It is a double switch ATO and from what people have said has worked great for them for a couple of years. And I liked that it was less than half the cost of the Tunze.

Also you should look at the Neptune ACJr controller. It works great and keeps my temp within 0.3 degrees. And controls everything in my tank.

TriggerHappyDude
I just picked up an ATO from autotopoff.com it works like a champ. It is a double switch ATO and from what people have said has worked great for them for a couple of years. And I liked that it was less than half the cost of the Tunze.

Also you should look at the Neptune ACJr controller. It works great and keeps my temp within 0.3 degrees. And controls everything in my tank.

I'm actually looking at the ReefKeeper Elite or Lite3. Which controls the ATO, and thats why I'm trying to decide about the ATO float switches. Can you take a picture of your ATO gear in the third chamber, so I can see how it looks? Also your water container, the whole setup, etc...?

TriggerHappyDude

New goodies arrived today at my door step!

The two 100w Stealth heaters for the tank and water changes/salt mixing...

IMG_6646.jpg

The Refractometer...

IMG_6652.jpg

The two API test kits all new tank owners should have...

IMG_6501.jpg

IMG_6502.jpg

13z7kwn.jpg33xa7ol.jpg

here are the pics sorry i could not get a real good one off chamber 3 with the ato. but i have the 1st float right at the original water level and then the 2nd is right above it...

TriggerHappyDude

Cool, thanks.

So what pump are you using for the ATO?

Did you drill a hole in that container or how is that working?

So you kept the blue & black sponges, I was told to remove them and use that filter floss/pillow stuff.

Or maybe they just meant use it too? Along with those others?

What else is under there in chamber 2?

How's that skimmer working now, still high on it? I have mine sitting in there, no water. :angry:

If you could get a close up of that 3rd chamber sometime, it would help a lot.

I just want to see it closer is all. Thanks for sharing!

So what pump are you using for the ATO? generic pump with an 8ft head height 312gph

Did you drill a hole in that container or how is that working? yes i drilled it so i could close the lid

So you kept the blue & black sponges, I was told to remove them and use that filter floss/pillow stuff.

Or maybe they just meant use it too? Along with those others? I kept mine some get rid of it but i like the black one to filter out all the big stuff then i use a different blue filter pad for the blue so i can change it when it gets dirty, found at any LFS. ive seen the part of the thread on RC where you talked about that stuff I might give it a try after i use this stuff up

What else is under there in chamber 2? i have a bag of chemi pure

How's that skimmer working now, still high on it? i like it it is finally breaking in and the micro bubbles are going away

If you could get a close up of that 3rd chamber sometime, it would help a lot.

2rm5zqo.jpg

TriggerHappyDude

Great shot! Thanks. Ok a pump with 8ft head height, what does that mean? Is that pull the ATO water 8ft?

That clear tube is the tube coming from the ATO container below in your stand right?

I see the autotopoff.com clip and float switches there on the top right.

Then what is that on the very bottom? And the tube/wire coming up from it on the left?

8ft head height - it can pump 8ft up the other ones they had went 3.5ft and i did not want to be short so i went bigger. yes the clear tube is my 1/2in line that the water pumps from the reservoir into the tank. and that other wire is my temp probe from my ACJr controller. or maybe your looking at the wire for the return pump...

TriggerHappyDude

Thats what it is, the return pump power wire, and then the temp probe. Thanks!

Just curious, whats the brand name of that pump you bought?

Was it this one that they offer?

http://www.autotopoff.com/pumps/FT300/

Now you have me thinking of the autotopoff.com float switches. Since you had a controller is that all you bought is the float switch?

Was it this one you bought?

http://www.autotopoff.com/products/DS1/

I'm thinking that the double ATO float valve, and the pump will be perfect for my ReefKeeper Controller...along with helping me not to have to top off constantly.

Did you ever consider Aquahub.com floats?

I've got a RKE and I am almost 100% sure I am going to go with the autotopoff.com double tank mount sensor. I like there bracket better than anything else I've seen. I've been reading and reading about what float switches to use for over a week now, and I too would love to have a Tunze Osmolator, but I just can't justify the price tag on it considering the RKE investment I made. Since the RKE is more than capable of handling ATO it's just a mater of float swiches and a pump. One of my LFS is actully using a Aqua Medic SP 3000 Dosing Pump with there RKE for top off. Although these peristaltic pumps are slow it actully works fine. They say it runs for about 30-45 seconds every 2 hours and keeps there water level perfectly stable. Got me thinking... ;)

I'm going to tag along with you and you're thread. I am about to order a Solana myself. :)

That is the pump BUT, I would try to find a different one. I read how big it was and now I wish I had found a smaller one with enough pumping power.

I love my ATO and with a double switch the controller doesn't really matter with it because the 2nd float switch stops it from going crazy. And with any ATO switch they need to be cleaned every now and again. Believe me when I say a nice size reservoir and an ATO is a sweet thing to have because those 2 bottles are junk I was re-filling those a few times a day... PITA

Never heard of aquahub.com, so I know nothing about them... They seem to be like the autotopoff.com set up but I did not have to put any switches together. Just had to mount where I wanted the switches and plug-n-play!

TriggerHappyDude
I've got a RKE and I am almost 100% sure I am going to go with the autotopoff.com double tank mount sensor. I like there bracket better than anything else I've seen. I've been reading and reading about what float switches to use for over a week now, and I too would love to have a Tunze Osmolator, but I just can't justify the price tag on it considering the RKE investment I made. Since the RKE is more than capable of handling ATO it's just a mater of float swiches and a pump. One of my LFS is actully using a Aqua Medic SP 3000 Dosing Pump with there RKE for top off. Although these peristaltic pumps are slow it actully works fine. They say it runs for about 30-45 seconds every 2 hours and keeps there water level perfectly stable. Got me thinking... ;)

I'm going to tag along with you and you're thread. I am about to order a Solana myself. :)

Sounds like you and I were thinking along the same lines...exactly.

What does the Aqua Medic SP 3000 dose/pump to keep their water so stable?

TriggerHappyDude
That is the pump BUT, I would try to find a different one. I read how big it was and now I wish I had found a smaller one with enough pumping power.

I love my ATO and with a double switch the controller doesn't really matter with it because the 2nd float switch stops it from going crazy. And with any ATO switch they need to be cleaned every now and again. Believe me when I say a nice size reservoir and an ATO is a sweet thing to have because those 2 bottles are junk I was re-filling those a few times a day... PITA

Never heard of aquahub.com, so I know nothing about them... They seem to be like the autotopoff.com set up but I did not have to put any switches together. Just had to mount where I wanted the switches and plug-n-play!

How big is that pump, doesn't look THAT big?

Is the Aqua Lifter a better/smaller choice? http://www.autotopoff.com/pumps/aw20/

Or the FT-130? http://www.autotopoff.com/pumps/FT130/

Well the aquahub.com float switches are cheapter than the autotopoff.com switches.

Each float switch, like the iFloat is $7 and then the mount is $4, so $18 total vs. $50 at autotopoff...?

http://www.aquahub.com/store/ifloatfloatswitch.html

http://www.aquahub.com/store/moldaholder9.html

I've asked over on the ReefKeeper Elite forums about these two, to see which one is used more, seems its pretty even over there...

Well the aquahub.com float switches are cheapter than the autotopoff.com switches.

Each float switch, like the iFloat is $7 and then the mount is $4, so $18 total vs. $50 at autotopoff...?

I've asked over on the ReefKeeper Elite forums about these two, to see which one is used more, seems its pretty even over there...

I thought the same thing... at first.

Goto the Misc. page of autotopoff.com and build your own double since you already have the RKE.

Upper Float Switch: $11

Lower Float Switch: $12

Bracket: $6.00

Snail Guard (if desired) $1.50

Total for a double switch $30.50.. or under $20 if you don't want a double. The $50-$55 assembled version autotopoff.com sell's has some features you don't need (break out box with power socket) since the RKE will accept the switches bare wires and control a specific channel on the PC4 based off your programming of these sensors.

I am not trying to sway your decission in either direction and I have no expeience to speak of yet as I have only just ordered my switches from autotopoff.com.

Archived