SaltCritters.com

TriggerHappy about my Solana Reef

TriggerHappyDude

Depends on the sand.

The calculator bases the weight of the aragonite sand on Carib-Sea's estimate of 70 lbs. per square foot.

1" sand bed in a 19.5 X 15.5 area is approx. 12lbs. of sand using CaribSea Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand.

Estimate arrived @ using GARF'S Sand Bed Calculator

Edit: As far as rock goes, if you could hand-pick pieces, I would look for pieces that you think would make an interesting aquascape with good porosity. If you're going to order online, I would order probably 50 lbs. If you end up not using it all, you can always sell it. Ask for medium and smaller pieces that will aid you in aqauscaping flexibility.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TriggerHappyDude

Scott,

Also the Tampa Bay site mentioned above, has a different kind of view with live rock and live sand...

http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com/thepackage/contents.html

All these animals are the key to a saltwater tank and must be added in the proper amounts to achieve success. The Recipe...How do you do it? It is real easy just follow The Recipe below. This works for ANY size tank from one gallon to 1000 gallons and up!!

You can figure the amount of rock, sand and animals needed, and the cost of your package using this information. For Packages under 55 gallons figure the animals needed as if it was a 50 gallon tank.

1 pound per gallon Live Sand.

1 Serpent or Brittle star per 50 gal.

2 pounds per gallon Live Rock.

2 Tiger Tail Cucumbers per 50 gal.

1 Blue Leg Hermits per gal.

1 Peppermint shrimp per 50 gal.

1/2 Turbo Snail per gal.

This Recipe is your key to success in having a happy reef tank! Follow this recipe and we guarantee you will have a happy reef tank. Many customers report that in just two hours after setting up their tanks they are crystal clear, and happy!

pound/gallon is silly in my opinion. In a large tank, you may want a DSB (Deep Sand Bed) therefore a lot more sand. In a Nano, you could do it but in my opinion, it's not as effective and unattractive. Not to mention, it takes up precious volume.

My other point is, there are different shapes of tanks. Do you think you'd want the same amount of sand in a 20H as a 20L?

TriggerHappyDude

You make good points that I agree with for sure. I like the Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock and its idea, but I like getting the sand/color I want, and then also picking out some LR that I want. If I get hitch hikers than alls cool, if they are not bad. Then I get to pick my own corals/sps/lps/clean up crew etc...fish...bla bla bla...

I want to take it slow and let the tank cycle over a few weeks, like most do, don't they? Pick some LR and let it cycle and do daily water tests?

Depends on the sand.

1" sand bed in a 19.5 X 15.5 area is approx. 12lbs. of sand using CaribSea Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand.

Estimate arrived @ using GARF'S Sand Bed Calculator

Edit: As far as rock goes, if you could hand-pick pieces, I would look for pieces that you think would make an interesting aquascape with good porosity. If you're going to order online, I would order probably 50 lbs. If you end up not using it all, you can always sell it. Ask for medium and smaller pieces that will aid you in aqauscaping flexibility.

Any particular places online to buy LR from?

TriggerHappyDude

Just unboxed this package I got yesterday, its a nicely built RO/DI Unit...

IMG_6513.jpg

A few extras I had to purchase...

IMG_6514.jpg

The TDS meter...

IMG_6516.jpg

Some of the accessories that came with the RO/DI Unit...are on the left...the extras on the right...

IMG_6521.jpg

Here is where I plan to hook it up to my cold water supply and split the faucet with the washing machine...

IMG_6523.jpg

Here is the sink next to my washer/dryer units, that I can put my collections in and let drain any wastes...

IMG_6525.jpg

Another angle of the washer and dryer with sink, I'll mount the RO/DI unit on the wall behind the washer there..

IMG_6526.jpg

TriggerHappyDude

Now it just figuring out how to hook this thing up, I'm not handy at all...give me a computer, sure thing, I'll fix it, give me something like this...I get nervous!

Sweet so far trigga. Do you know which salt you will use? My RODI unit is supposed to come tomorrow. I cant wait till you get the rock. Are you ordering "the package" for 35 gallons? Also someone told me to run 10 to 20 gallons thru the RO unit first, not sure if you knew or not. Looking good so far....

TriggerHappyDude
Sweet so far trigga. Do you know which salt you will use? My RODI unit is supposed to come tomorrow. I cant wait till you get the rock. Are you ordering "the package" for 35 gallons? Also someone told me to run 10 to 20 gallons thru the RO unit first, not sure if you knew or not. Looking good so far....

I bought SeaChem Reef Salt, 50 gallon bag to start with. Probably should have bought the tub.

Yeah I read some thread where you mentioned doing that 10/20 gallon run through.

I don't know if I'm getting TBS live rock or not yet...I want to investigate it more.

I really was looking forward to picking my own type of sand/substrate, then picking some LR out, then waiting as it cycled, and taking it slow...the TBS seems quicker and produces more with a lot more up front work, not that I'm lazy, but I'm still learning, so not sure if its the best for me, or maybe it is?

I'm still trying to figure out this RO/DI system first, so be prepared to work! Which unit did you order the one I did? Did you get the hose attachment or sink?

I'm still trying to figure out this RO/DI system first, so be prepared to work!

It's not that difficult to hook up! :D

It looks like you have everything you need, except.... an ASOV. Unless you have one and I didn't see it in the pics.

I had mine connected in the laundry room just like you plan. I Y'ed off the cold water with a plastic Y from Lowes, put the RODI drain tube into the washer drain, and ran the purifed water to a 50 gallon brute can. I drilled a hole near the top of the brute can and used a john guest 1/4" NPTF connector to accept the purified water tube.

14jgx38mp.jpg

I ran almost 50 full gallons though mine, dumped that water and from then on had no problems. And since you have the in-line TDS your all set. Mine did not have in-line TDS so I used a handheld meter to check my water for TDS every couple of weeks.

Good luck -- you can do it! Let me know if you have any questions.

TriggerHappyDude
It's not that difficult to hook up! :D

It looks like you have everything you need, except.... an ASOV. Unless you have one and I didn't see it in the pics.

I had mine connected in the laundry room just like you plan. I Y'ed off the cold water with a plastic Y from Lowes, put the RODI drain tube into the washer drain, and ran the purifed water to a 50 gallon brute can. I drilled a hole near the top of the brute can and used a john guest 1/4" NPTF connector to accept the purified water tube.

14jgx38mp.jpg

I ran almost 50 full gallons though mine, dumped that water and from then on had no problems. And since you have the in-line TDS your all set. Mine did not have in-line TDS so I used a handheld meter to check my water for TDS every couple of weeks.

Good luck -- you can do it! Let me know if you have any questions.

Whats the ASOV? I have some other parts that might not have shown up in those pics...I hope I have everything! Is it the piece that looks like this? If so this was already hooked up!

asov_best.jpg

TriggerHappyDude
I did get the same one. This is the one Scott suggested right? Should be here today!

Yep, its not that hard, I was making it harder than it is. I tend to do that sometimes.

Whats the ASOV? I have some other parts that might not have shown up in those pics...I hope I have everything! Is it the piece that looks like this? If so this was already hooked up!

Yep, that is the ASOV. I did not see it in the pics. You're good to go.

I forgot to mention, if you use a brute can for water storage, make sure you buy the caddy for it so it's on wheels. Trying to pick up a 50 gallon container of water is no easy task!

And I know you're taking this slow, and I commend you for that... but come on man... We want to see water in that beautiful tank!! If you don't hurry up I'll have water in my tank before you, and mine is still not here yet. :lol:

TriggerHappyDude

Well I don't have the RO/DI setup yet, I don't have lights, I don't have a decision on substrate or LR...but I'm getting there...

Almost there Trigga! RODI came in today, I just put it in my laundry tub for now and hooked it up. Gonna take 4 hours just to get where I can test the water anyhew. Ill probably hang it later. Still deciding on LR and sand? If I could do mine over I would order thru Tampa Bay, some stellar HH and awesome color it brings. Whats the sea gel for?

TriggerHappyDude
Almost there Trigga! RODI came in today, I just put it in my laundry tub for now and hooked it up. Gonna take 4 hours just to get where I can test the water anyhew. Ill probably hang it later. Still deciding on LR and sand? If I could do mine over I would order thru Tampa Bay, some stellar HH and awesome color it brings. Whats the sea gel for?

So we have to run the RO/DI for 4 hours before we can use? Mine is already reading 0.00 TDS on the OUT flowing water...isn't that where you want it?

I'll take another look at the Tampa Bay stuff, and call my LFS guy too. I just need to shop it more, research it more, as I haven't been doing that because I've been shopping equipment! Now I'm closer and closer to Live Rock and water, etc...so I'll start researching now!

I got my RO/DI unit hung on the wall and all hooked up, it was easier than I thought...

Here it is all hooked up and hung...

IMG_6501-1.jpg

IMG_6506.jpg

My TDS going IN is in the low to mid 400's...

IMG_6503.jpg

My TDS going OUT is 0.00, is that ready to use water?

IMG_6504.jpg

This is my PSI, is this good/bad/decent? I have the washing machine water off.

IMG_6512.jpg

What are these things for?

IMG_6517.jpg

TriggerHappyDude

I also got my ATI 4x24w Powermodule lights today...but I'm not sure I'm happy with them.

They were smaller than I imagined in my head, don't cover the tank like I imagined.

I think if I would have gotten the 6x24w, it feels like it would cover more of the top of the tank perfectly...as you'll see in my pictures...the "modules" are 2 bulbs per section of the lights, and this 4x24w has 2 modules where the 6x24w would have 3, and would be wider and cover the entire top...but is that what I want? Do you understand what I mean...like in these pics I've left the gap in the front where the 6x24w cover that gap...of course it would be hung above the tank but you get what I mean, the lights would hover over the entire tank, besides the back part where the 3 compartments are.

Notice the gap in the front, would having lights over that be better or should I just center this fixture over the tank top?

IMG_6518-1.jpg

IMG_6522-1.jpg

How many gallons did you run to get 0 TDS. I havent even tested yet..LOL. Lights look awesome. My pod does not cover my whole tank, I like it that way so I can place my light loving corals in that section and less lovers go to the front and in shaded areas under my rock shelves. Are you hanging that? I love the look, pretty slick dude. I read in your thread that one guy ran his RODI for 50 gallons then he started to use his water. I only ran like 10 gallons so far. Ill start testing and keeping after the 10 is thru. Ill do my first water change tomorrow. Then Ill throw in my chemi pure and some cheato to help with nitrates. Everything is going to plan so far on my end. Cant wait for yours, I know it'll be sick....

TriggerHappyDude
How many gallons did you run to get 0 TDS. I havent even tested yet..LOL. Lights look awesome. My pod does not cover my whole tank, I like it that way so I can place my light loving corals in that section and less lovers go to the front and in shaded areas under my rock shelves. Are you hanging that? I love the look, pretty slick dude. I read in your thread that one guy ran his RODI for 50 gallons then he started to use his water. I only ran like 10 gallons so far. Ill start testing and keeping after the 10 is thru. Ill do my first water change tomorrow. Then Ill throw in my chemi pure and some cheato to help with nitrates. Everything is going to plan so far on my end. Cant wait for yours, I know it'll be sick....

Ryan,

Mine was reading 0 TDS from the beginning...upon first turn on of water through the system.

I read in the manual, for our model number; RD-102, that we only need to run 1 gallon of water before it should be ready to use...it says "let pure water drain out for about 1 gallon before start using water"...its on about the 2nd to last page of the manual. I ran it for like 3 or 4 hours, and just turned it off, I don't have a big container yet to store it in. Nor a pump to keep air in it. Not quite ready for water in the tank. Have to decide on this light situation and then hang them, THEN I might be ready for water! I sound like a bachelor who is afraid to commit. :lol:

The tank is looking awesome... How's the ATO coming along? Just so you know I was experiencing a drop in pH and I could not place the cause so while at my LFS I asked the guy who runs the place and he suggested I raise my ATO pH to 8.3 and that might help... and it did so far, its only been a day since I made the change but we shall see! So just a heads up in case you come across the same thing.

TriggerHappyDude
The tank is looking awesome... How's the ATO coming along? Just so you know I was experiencing a drop in pH and I could not place the cause so while at my LFS I asked the guy who runs the place and he suggested I raise my ATO pH to 8.3 and that might help... and it did so far, its only been a day since I made the change but we shall see! So just a heads up in case you come across the same thing.

Well, that will be the next thing after I get it up with water etc...I think. I want to purchase the ATO pieces and then the ReefKeeper Elite controller, but thats where the hang up is. That's an expensive piece. The wife is already not happy with the amount I've poured into this so far. So I will probably just get it up and going and see how much I can deal with the evap and go from there...how did you raise the pH in your ATO water?

TriggerHappyDude
My TBS rock/sand package 1 will be here monday woot.

Please share with us a link to your build thread so we can see the rock when it comes in and you set it up.

TriggerHappyDude

As I start to wire up all this equipment I'm going to try to get the power strip installed in the stand and do my drip loops, etc...how far away from the wall should I make the tank/stand sit?

I want all this in place before I hang the lights so the hang is not off...any other things to think of while securing its final resting place on my floor?

Archived