ReefCleaners.org

TriggerHappy about my Solana Reef

TriggerHappyDude

TriggerHappyDude
A drop of water has yet to hit your tank bro... And you're upgrading!!! :o

omgomgomg

I love it!!! Congrats on the RKE bro... It looks beautiful!!!

Thanks David, you can't rush ART, this is my masterpiece.

I'm getting Live Rock this week/weekend. And once the low iron glass tank arrives, its all ready to go from there!

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I got the Reef Keeper Elite in the mail...

Nice, I just got my RKL3 today, but still trying to figure how to connect them, please post more pic for how you get connection. :D

TriggerHappyDude
Nice, I just got my RKL3 today, but still trying to figure how to connect them, please post more pic for how you get connection. :D

Sure thing, but its going to be a little bit as I'm waiting on a different tank before I add water. Hooking up the RKE will be near to the last thing for me.

Did you pick the color of silicon? I think they look awesome with black silicon.

No, I wasn't sure what to get so I just left it as what's normally used. I don't think the tank has been started yet, maybe I'll have a peek and see if I can find exsamples of tanks with black silicone. It wouldn't look funny with starfire & polished edges? It would show really easy wouldn't it?

TriggerHappyDude
No, I wasn't sure what to get so I just left it as what's normally used. I don't think the tank has been started yet, maybe I'll have a peek and see if I can find exsamples of tanks with black silicone. It wouldn't look funny with starfire & polished edges? It would show really easy wouldn't it?

Do a look around the Reef Central Message boards for people with AGE tanks. They use Starphire glass, polished edges, and black silicon, and its amazing how it looks. I think even ELOS tanks might be that way too. Its a personal preference, I just think it looks very awesome. I will try to find some pictures for you to compare...You should ask your tank builders if they have any picture examples to send you, of the differences...they should have some!

Here is A.G.E's web site:

http://www.acrylicandglassexhibits.com/

Here are some pictures with black silicon, not close up, still looking for a good close up...

http://www.kingfishaquarium.com/agecustomaquariums.htm

Here is another comparison of regular glass vs. starphire glass...

s30.jpg

I looked at some of the samples on Concept Aquariums web site, and it appears they are using clear silicon, but I bet they would or could do black...if you like the look.

http://www.concepttanks.com/gallery.htm

Again personal preference!

Now let's quit thread stealing, this is my tank build thread! We can discuss all this in another place!

TriggerHappyDude
I HAVE got to get a RKE!...btw the AGE tanks are bad a$$

Yeah, I kind of want to start my own company and build tanks like them! The PVC bottoms, using CAD, starphire glass, black silicon, custom custom custom...wonder if its a good business?

Thanks, I'm very glad you said something. I'm now going with black.

Agreed, I won't do anymore thread hijacking but thanks for your help. I throughly enjoy this thread & I've been following it since the begining. Can't wait to see it stocked!

TriggerHappyDude

Now back to our show...

The mail man just dropped off this nice package...from inTank Mediabaskets...

Its my VorTech MP40w Dry Dock and my fuge submersible lights...the dry dock is so I can mount the VorTech powerhead in the back middle of the tank, and not show any wires at all.

The submersible lights are to grow cheato down there one day, after my tank has cycled.

IMG_6602-1.jpg

IMG_6603.jpg

IMG_6607-1.jpg

IMG_6608-1.jpg

TriggerHappyDude

My NET module for the RKE came in today. Not an exciting picture post, just an FYI.

Now I need to get my Live Rock, hopefully this weekend, we'll have something to show you all!

TriggerHappyDude

I'm going to get my Live Rock tonight or tomorrow!

Thats all, it will stay in a 35 gallon tub, till my Starphire tank arrives!

harleybmw73

Hi I am just down the road in Lawton. May I ask you what store you are using to get the tank. I am looking to start another build myself and thinking about going topless this time.

TriggerHappyDude
Congrats, where did you get it from?

I got to rock from a local reefer here in OKC, who happens to live less than 2 miles from me.

He has an awesome 600 gallon tank too! He sold me 35 lbs of Totoka and Fiji rock.

Here is his tank...

Paul's 600 Gallon Wonder Tank

Hi I am just down the road in Lawton. May I ask you what store you are using to get the tank. I am looking to start another build myself and thinking about going topless this time.

I used Aquarium Concepts here in OKC.

TriggerHappyDude

Ok, got the live rock back home. I'v got it in a nice big 35 gallon Rubbermaid tub, with a pump moving water around and a heater keeping it right around 79-80 degrees...its a mixture of Fiji and Totoka rock.

IMG_6613.jpg

IMG_6614-1.jpg

IMG_6615-1.jpg

IMG_6616.jpg

IMG_6617-1.jpg

TriggerHappyDude
In the words of Wesley Willis - "
"

WTF? :lol:

Ok, so I have the rock in this 35 gallon tub, with some water that he gave me from his holding tank.

I mixed up about 15 gallons last night and added it to the tub this afternoon. I have two 100w heaters and a Maxi Jet 1200 in there moving the water around, with air bubbles.

When I get my other tank, and I'm ready to aquascape, how do I proceed with that part?

Do I take the rock out and let it drip dry on a towel and then get my layout done?

I know the rock goes in first, then add my sand next, then add my water.

Should I add newly mixed saltwater or will the tub water its been sitting in be better? Or a little of both?

I'm new to this part, so every little detail is important to me.

When I get my other tank, and I'm ready to aquascape, how do I proceed with that part?

Do I take the rock out and let it drip dry on a towel and then get my layout done?

I know the rock goes in first, then add my sand next, then add my water.

So I tried to put the sand in my tank second but it was too hard to do neatly around the rock. So I wound up taking out all the rock, putting the sand in the bottom, then wiggling the bottom pieces to make sure they were in contact with the bottom glass and built up the aquascape from there. Given that you'll have that rock in water you trust for days beforehand, I see no reason to dry it, I'd move it direct from your holding tub into the new tank.

Osric

TriggerHappyDude

Well, I don't know how much I "TRUST" it...it was about 3 gallons of his water, which I trust, and then maybe 10 gallons of my first salt water mixed last night. I did test the salinity with my refractometer and it was right at 1.025...but I've done no other tests on it yet...should I have done that before adding it?

I would test the salinity after you mix it before you put it into your tank so you keep a stable salinity in the tank as well with the mixed water.

Archived