Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

TriggerHappy about my Solana Reef

TriggerHappyDude

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TriggerHappyDude
Go with the 32! When the tank is up and running w/ no sand or rock the Solana holds about 29g.

Ok, I figured it wasn't quite 34 gallons unless filled to the brim and all 20x20 inches were open.

Now if I leave the water in that trash can in my garage, with a lid on, its ok?

I have an extra heater to keep it warm till warmer weather comes, should I keep some air in it?

TriggerHappyDude
Do you have a powerhead circulating the water? That tank is dope btw!

Thanks Gerber!

Yeah that is on my next purchase list, I guess a Maxi Jet 1200 will work for 32 gallons of storage?

The idea is to keep the water circulating in the storage when not in use, and warm enough?

This is the part I'm really NEW at...so everyone please chime in...its salt mixing...

Help me determine this salt water holding thing as far as how I plan to use/store it.

First off I need 30 gallons or so to fill the tank up with its initial test of just RO/DI water to make sure no leaks etc...or can it just be freshwater test? Either way I need to do a leak test first.

Second I would need 30 gallons or so of the actual RO/DI water to mix salt with.

My bag of SeaChem Reef Salt is for 50 gallons, so obviously I'll need to buy more soon.

It says to mix 1/2 cup for every gallon. So for 30 gallons of water, 15 cups of salt right?

That would take care of my first batch that actually goes into the tank. Then I would just repeat the RO/DI water fill up of the Brute trash can, one more time and then mix in 15 more cups of the salt and let the power head and heater keep it fresh and aerated? How can I keep it aerating during the storage?

Eventually, I'll need 5 more gallons in my ATO tank that I bought last night for ATO, but not there yet as I have no ATO float switches or my RKE yet.

TriggerHappyDude

Oh I guess that is right, just adding salt to the tank would work, and let the pumps do the mixing in there?

So I just need to get my brute trash can, lid, and rollers!

Wait, I don't have any sand/live rock. shouldn't that be first before adding water?

After a leak test...?

I used tap water to check mine for leaks then I drained it and wiped it clean with a vinegar/water mix. And then rinsed with ro/di .

This is the part I'm really NEW at...so everyone please chime in...its salt mixing...

Help me determine this salt water holding thing as far as how I plan to use/store it.

Here is what I would do.

Get the Brute 32 gallon contaier. Do not keep pre-mixed salt in this container. Only fresh RO/DO water. No need for a power head or heater.

You now have 30+ gallons to fresh water ready/available for any use... such as replacing your ATO storage or preparing for a water change.

Get a couple 5 gallon buckets for mixing your water changes. Add 4-5 gallons of RO/DI water to the bucket, dump in your salt, throw in a power head and heater for 2 hours and your ready for the water change. Make sure when doing your water chance your turn off your ATO system!! I can't say this enough so I'll say it again... turn off your ATO system when doing a water change. If you're getting a RKE (which I have a feeling you are) program the ATO on a standby mode (you'll understand this better once you have one) so that all you have to do is put your RKE in standby mode and your ATO will automically be shut down.

Some people run a power head & heater in there fresh RO/DI water storage container -- I never did but to each there own.

I just put the RO/DI water in to do the test, then added salt and mixed it in the tank. If you've nothing else in it, it's as good a container as any for mixing the solution. Then I siphoned off excess when the rock & sand went in, and saved it for future water change use. (As it turned out, I wound up using that water to rinse nuisance cyano off my rock, but that's another story...)

Good luck. Get some water in that thing!

Osric

TriggerHappyDude

Guess I could use RO/DI water, then siphon it out and add my sand/rock, then siphon back in when ready to add back water?

I want to get my ReefKeeper Elite in, setup and wired, before I add any water/rock/sand.

I need to wire all my stuff up and zip tie it nice and neat and have it all in order before I'm ready.

TriggerHappyDude

Well, I went to a LFS this weekend, and they had two brands, CaribSea and another one I can't remember the name, wasn't too familiar with it...I almost bought two 20 lbs bags, but my wife was kind of rushing me and I said I'd go back and get it on my own without her. So no, but I need help!

I cant decide on the kind I want. I like it to be a white color, don't like the "sandy" color, like sand in a desert. I like a mix of sandy texture and then some of the crushed coral looking stuff. What kind is good for gobies and jawfish the fish that sift through it and clean it etc? I'm planning on a goby or jawfish and some chromis and clowfish...

Looking at CaribSea's site, I like the West Caribbean Reef stuff, it looks like a mix of sandy and coral crushed? But real life might be different? Florida Crushed coral is a cool and might be good mixed with a sandy type like the Special Grade Reef Sand?

The Ocean Direct Original Grade looks like a good mix of sandy and crush coral too...?

Super Reef is cool, has all the shells etc in it...

The Dry Agragonite looks like that "sandy" desert color, but I bet under the right lights looks white?

I just don't know what to pick!

Well, from my expierence which is very little. Do not get the Indo-Pacific like I have now I HATE it!!! It has pebbles the size of Texas in there... Well maybe not that big but, it's horrible! Get something that is small in grain size like oolitic sand or sugar sized.

I just ordered 30# of KoraLagoon Substrat by Brightwell from Marine Depot.

TriggerHappyDude
Well, from my expierence which is very little. Do not get the Indo-Pacific like I have now I HATE it!!! It has pebbles the size of Texas in there... Well maybe not that big but, it's horrible! Get something that is small in grain size like oolitic sand or sugar sized.

I just ordered 30# of KoraLagoon Substrat by Brightwell from Marine Depot.

What ever I get 30 pounds you think is what my 34 gallon Solana needs for a 1" bottom?

wow. 10 pages and you still didn't start your cycle?? lol

Anyway, looks like you did your homework and got all the top of the line goodies. I wanted the ATI fixture too, but I didn't get any takers for my Outer Orbit when I wanted to sell it. At least it's got MH.

I can't wait to see how the tank turns out especially with the ATI.

TriggerHappyDude
wow. 10 pages and you still didn't start your cycle?? lol

Anyway, looks like you did your homework and got all the top of the line goodies. I wanted the ATI fixture too, but I didn't get any takers for my Outer Orbit when I wanted to sell it. At least it's got MH.

I can't wait to see how the tank turns out especially with the ATI.

Hahaha! Yeah, I'm taking it slow! Everything I read said take it slow, ask questions, etc...etc...so thats what I'm doing. Right now I'm filling up a 32 gallon Brute of RO/DI water for water test...I guess I can just fill the tank, test it, siphon it out back into the Brute, and reuse it once I put the sand and rock in? Or if use fresh water for the leak test, I'll have my RO/DI ready for afterwards. Should I remove all equipment from the tank for the leak test too?

What ever I get 30 pounds you think is what my 34 gallon Solana needs for a 1" bottom?

30# should be enough for 1"-1.5"

Hahaha! Yeah, I'm taking it slow! Everything I read said take it slow, ask questions, etc...etc...so thats what I'm doing. Right now I'm filling up a 32 gallon Brute of RO/DI water for water test...I guess I can just fill the tank, test it, siphon it out back into the Brute, and reuse it once I put the sand and rock in? Or if use fresh water for the leak test, I'll have my RO/DI ready for afterwards. Should I remove all equipment from the tank for the leak test too?

I turned on my equipment to make sure it worked.

I'm planning on a goby or jawfish and some chromis and clowfish...

Are you planning on using the glass top? With a Jawfish you're going to have to cover the top with something.

pprwngs Posted Today, 04:10 PM

30# should be enough for 1"-1.5"

Agree. I have 30 lbs of Ooline and Special Reef Grade in mine (20 # of Ooline and 10# of reef grade) and I have a 1" to 1 1/4" base.

I've always used CaribSea sand and never once had any problems. It's a bit more than just buying dry sand, but if you've ever tried to rinse 40#'s of sand in a bucket... ;)

Did you pull the trigger on the RKE?

TriggerHappyDude
Are you planning on using the glass top? With a Jawfish you're going to have to cover the top with something.

Agree. I have 30 lbs of Ooline and Special Reef Grade in mine (20 # of Ooline and 10# of reef grade) and I have a 1" to 1 1/4" base.

I've always used CaribSea sand and never once had any problems. It's a bit more than just buying dry sand, but if you've ever tried to rinse 40#'s of sand in a bucket... ;)

Did you pull the trigger on the RKE?

Maybe a Jawfish isn't what I meant, Goby or Blenny? I think its those two? Not a jawfish...I don't think.

I have the glass top and can and will use it if necessary, but don't care to.

Ok so 30 lbs of whatever I choose, I'll have to look at your tank build again and the pictures of your sand combo to see if I like it. Which kind do you pick more lbs of? And why?

And yes, I finally pulled the trigger on the RKE today! Along with the NET module.

rkelite_v2.gif

I also purchased the ATO switches...here is basically what I bought...along with some 1/4" tubing, 20 feet so I can use and have extra, I'm playing with the placement of my Brute container and need some line.

DS03.JPG

TriggerHappyDude

I've decided on 20 lbs of Caribsea Ocean Direct Live Sand Original and 10 lbs of Caribsea Arag-Alive West Caribbean Reef; both good for burrowers and nice and white and good coarseness.

Also purchased these:

Maxi Jet 1200 for salt water mixing

AS1117_1.jpg

Tom Aqualifter for the ATO

OE1137_1.jpg

Maybe a Jawfish isn't what I meant, Goby or Blenny? I think its those two? Not a jawfish...I don't think.

I have the glass top and can and will use it if necessary, but don't care to.

Blenny's are cool fish. I'd like to keep a blue spotted Jawfish, but I don't want to cover my tank. They are such beautiful fish and have a personality like nothing I've ever seen. I've sat at LFS's and admired them for 30-40 minutes... no kidding.

p-86343-jawfish.jpg

Ok so 30 lbs of whatever I choose, I'll have to look at your tank build again and the pictures of your sand combo to see if I like it. Which kind do you pick more lbs of? And why?

I used more Oolite because I liked the smaller grain size of this sand, but I knew I need something a little larger which sits on the top of the Oolite to keep my sand from becoming a cynao nightmare. Many people are using the CaribSea special reef grade with great sucess keeping cynao away.

And since the special reef grade is a larger grain it will always stay settled above the Oolite.

And yes, I finally pulled the trigger on the RKE today! Along with the NET module.

You're going to love it!

Archived