Innovative Marine Aquariums

TriggerHappy about my Solana Reef

TriggerHappyDude

Thanks for all the feedback, this is good for me to read as I draw nearer to actually getting water in the tank...it is funny 12 pages and NO WATER YET!?!?! WTF!!

LOL, for real get some water dude! Your not as "TriggerHappy" as I once thought.... But you will have one sick tank when all is said and done. Keep it up 'cause I'm hooked.

1. My List O' Fish
  2. Banggai Cardinal
  3. False Perc
  4. Red Scooter Blenny

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I purchased 25 blue hermits, 1 red scarlet, and 6 turbo snails (one is in the big blue sea in the sky). They do an awesome job as I have almost zero algae now.

TriggerHappyDude
I purchased 25 blue hermits, 1 red scarlet, and 6 turbo snails (one is in the big blue sea in the sky). They do an awesome job as I have almost zero algae now.

Did you pick that CUC, or did someone suggest/build that combo for you? Your LFS? Or online?

I think by this time next week, I'll be adding water...LETS PRAY.

I had a suggestion by a website here but someone told me what he suggested was too much. I went to my LFS whom I trust and went just over with what they suggested because it was way under what the CUC online store told me. Online he was going to send me 45 blue hermits, and other snails and such ( I forgot really). What I have now really works well. I do have loads of bristleworms, some are like 3" long, and loads of snail HH's which help out also. I really didnt have a huge algae outbreak cause I used cycled rock. I did wait a while before I added anything though. My water has been perfect still with only one fish so far.

TriggerSpawn
Did you pick that CUC, or did someone suggest/build that combo for you? Your LFS? Or online?

I think by this time next week, I'll be adding water...LETS PRAY.

A tank with out water is a terrarium.

TriggerHappyDude

They are having FREE SHIPPING over on Bulk Reef Supply and have some Reef Saver Eco Rock on sale...

Reef-Saver-800.jpg

Is this good rock to start a tank cycle with, brand new? Someone said this would be good to "seed"?

But honey, I _need_ a quarantine tank and a display tank.

Not that budget seems to be your constraint :)

Osric

I would be divorced...I did show her and she said "Maybe you can upgrade one day..." so the only thing that keeps me happy is that I will upgrade to a A.G.E custom tank and it will blow the Solana XL 60 away!

I did write to Ike from Current, because I specifically asked him about a low iron tank, and he said it was a test run and knew nothing else...and now I see this, I'm hoping I can complain and get an upgrade.

And good thing my VorTech MP40w and RKE and most of my other equipment would work in an upgrade, as I've planned ahead...might have to sell the skimmer thats all. Oh and maybe the lights. Dammit.

OK, I must stop, I'm thinking of bigger before I've even got water in this one! :lol:

OMG I'm an idiot.

I'm sooooo PO'ed right now...LOOK...

http://www.current-usa.com/solanaxl.html

Ahhhhhh. Next year tax refund? LOL Be kind to the wifey. I like the longer one if its rimless...

Do you even have a Saltwater tank pest? Shooo fly...shoo...

You gotta ask the pros about those rocks. Not sure how you seed them. I kno wyou will not have pests, right now I am in a "one on one" with my apstasia. Seems like I kill one and 4 more pop up. Looks like another spreee this weekend!

one on one" with my apstasia

I know how you feel. It took me several days to clear mine out. At first I was mad, thought about removing all the rock and starting over. And then I hit the first one with Joe's Juice... it became a cat & mouse game for me. It was kind of fun really.

The good thing about Aiptasia is it's easy to kill and it's not 100% fatal to your reef as say 2 or 3 mantis shrimp would be to your CUC. Have you thought about getting a true Peppermint Shrimp?

I'm sooooo PO'ed right now...LOOK...

http://www.current-usa.com/solanaxl.html

Wow! And I thought my LFS was just pulling my leg 2 weeks ago when he said Current was up to something new. Wonder what the price tag is going to be on these.

And by the way... are you doing turtles in your tank now? I saw someone mention a "terrarium"! :lol:

TriggerHappyDude
And by the way... are you doing turtles in your tank now? I saw someone mention a "terrarium"! :lol:

Yeah thats a friend of mine, giving me crap for not having water in my tank yet.

He's got a 55 gallon FW tank that he's thinking of converting to SW. But doesn't know much!

Not that I am a pro on seeding dry reef rock but, that is what I am doing. I got my rock from John @ reefcleaners.org and he said some live sand or live rock would work. So I picked up about 5lbs of LR and cycled it and placed my dry rock with it and let the microfauna seed it. He also suggested I scrape coralline algae onto the dry rock to seed them with it. And you can also take sponges from your live rock and blend them up and seed the dry rock with those too.

TriggerHappyDude

Ok so here's the deal now with my LIVE ROCK situation...we have a local group, COMAS (Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society) and the President saw some posts of mine over on Reef Central and hit me up with an PM offering some really good rock at a good price...Tatoka and Fiji at $5/lbs...No pests or parasites. He said I will get an algal break out since it has been kept in the dark, but it will not be bad at all if I keep my water parameters good.

These are not pictures of the actual rock I'm getting, just examples of the KIND of rock.

Totoka Live Rock:

totoka.jpg

Totoka2.JPG

So for 30lbs, I'm looking at $150...not bad?

Me likey... Nice shapes too

I know how you feel. It took me several days to clear mine out. At first I was mad, thought about removing all the rock and starting over. And then I hit the first one with Joe's Juice... it became a cat & mouse game for me. It was kind of fun really.

The good thing about Aiptasia is it's easy to kill and it's not 100% fatal to your reef as say 2 or 3 mantis shrimp would be to your CUC. Have you thought about getting a true Peppermint Shrimp?

I have thought about the peppermint but truly want a pom pom crab and a blood red shrimp. I dont mind nuking the bastads on my day off..lol

TriggerHappyDude

I'm glad I found this resource for Live Rock, it seems like I'll do better with it than the dry rock.

I didn't realize til just now that you lived in OKC.

I used to live in NW OKC, in the Bethany area.

I think lakshwadeep is in Edmond, and ZoaNuts, one of our sponsors, is also in OKC. You should check them out, I hear their setup is insane in person.

Pudge1515 is in your area too, he might be in Norman.

TriggerHappyDude
I didn't realize til just now that you lived in OKC.

I used to live in NW OKC, in the Bethany area.

I think lakshwadeep is in Edmond, and ZoaNuts, one of our sponsors, is also in OKC. You should check them out, I hear their setup is insane in person.

Pudge1515 is in your area too, he might be in Norman.

Yeah I talked to lakshwadeep about the LFS's here...and I knew ZoaNuts was out of his home here in OKC, probably just like 5 miles from me. I even have commented on Pudge1515's page I think. I live in NW OKC, real close to Bethany...Rockwell/Council and 122nd....Near Francis Tuttle VoTech and PC North High School.

I'm just curious...what does cherry picked mean? I know what it means in certain other instances, but not sure it means the same in Reef Rock...

http://www.lareefs.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3

Is this stuff uncured?

This rock is cured, however if you have it shipped you'll have to recure it as it will suffer some die off during shipment. In order words don't drop it in your tank and add fish the next day.

In this case "cherry picked" refers to the fact this seller is able to hand pick only the rock they want to sell you. In many other cases of companies selling live rock they simply take what they get from the distributor.

I don't know if you saw my post 3-4 pages back, but check out Pacific East Aquaculture. They have some new/nice rock available. It may not be what you're looking for but worth a peak.

TriggerHappyDude
Those tanks are awesome, how come you didn't super size?

They just came out, thats why I'm PO'ed, but I've heard that the 60 XL is $2000...so probably wouldn't have bought that one anyway.

TriggerSpawn
They just came out, thats why I'm PO'ed, but I've heard that the 60 XL is $2000...so probably wouldn't have bought that one anyway.

34 gallons will be plenty big for your turtles.

Your tank is probably the best size for your office.

TriggerHappyDude
34 gallons will be plenty big for your turtles.

Your tank is probably the best size for your office.

Yeah that and the 60XL is $2000!

Archived