Innovative Marine Aquariums

TriggerHappy about my Solana Reef

TriggerHappyDude

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TriggerHappyDude

I did my fresh water test tonight...no leaks...

IMG_6723.jpg

IMG_6724.jpg

IMG_6725.jpg

IMG_6726.jpg

IMG_6727.jpg

IMG_6728.jpg

IMG_6732.jpg

IMG_6734.jpg

davidr2340

:oomgomgomg:oomgomgomg:o

WATEH!!!

"Tis 'bout damn time bro... Only thing in this tank is wateh, and it looks amazing bro!!!

Well worth the wait!!!

TriggerHappyDude

I emptied it all back into my Brute for salt mixing...tomorrow when the salt water is ready, I'll get my live rock and do some aquascaping, add my sand and my purigen and chemi-pure etc...and finally add the mixed salt water and start the process.

TriggerHappyDude

Ok, so I had approx 30 gallons of water in my 32 gallon Brute, my SeaChem Reef Salt says to mix 1/2 cup of salt per US gallon; so I added 15 cups of salt and have been mixing it up since last night, the water is still pretty cloudy, hard to see in the bottom. Do I just need to let it keep mixing till I can see the bottom? I can see the bottom and the powerhead mixing but its a little cloudy is that normal or should it be pretty clear?

davidr2340
Ok, so I had approx 30 gallons of water in my 32 gallon Brute, my SeaChem Reef Salt says to mix 1/2 cup of salt per US gallon; so I added 15 cups of salt and have been mixing it up since last night, the water is still pretty cloudy, hard to see in the bottom. Do I just need to let it keep mixing till I can see the bottom? I can see the bottom and the powerhead mixing but its a little cloudy is that normal or should it be pretty clear?

It'll be clody for a while... It will all dissolve eventually.

Keep mixing!!!

Weetabix7

Yeah, keep mixing til it's clear.

Never put cloudy water in your tank.

What brand of salt are you using?

TriggerHappyDude
Yeah, keep mixing til it's clear.

Never put cloudy water in your tank.

What brand of salt are you using?

SeaChem Reef Salt, its getting clearer, and I think the bottom of that Brute is just dark...so makes it seem like its darker/cloudier than it really is.

TriggerHappyDude

Ok, so tomorrw I will venture into the aquascaping and lay my sand bed.

Is there anything I need test before I add my mixed up salt water to the tank after aquascaping?

Testing before? Testing after?

Thanks!

TriggerHappyDude

Ok here are some updates...I have a few questions as you check out the pictures.

One, my 3rd chamber seems really low, I don't know why?

I can't tell if my skimmer is on/off, I plugged it into the RKE and the blue light is on...I even tried plugging it into an outlet by itself, away from the RKE, and it seems to not be doing anything, how can I tell?

Is my water level too high in the tank? Do these tanks always have the water "trinkle" sound or is there a way to minimize/reduce it? I don't mind it, just curious really.

I think I have too much sand in there...its pretty thick...40lbs worth...I should have just opened the 20lb bag and one of the 10lbs...dangit, I could have kept a bag!

The lights were on just for a test, I've turned them off now...

IMG_6738.jpg

IMG_6739.jpg

IMG_6740.jpg

IMG_6741.jpg

IMG_6742.jpg

IMG_6743.jpg

IMG_6744.jpg

IMG_6745.jpg

I know why your water seems low....You need more water :) . add it to the third chamber until it is level to where the auto-topoff shelf would have been. that will also reduce the sound of water trickle. Isnt the back of your tank clear ? can u see bubbles in the skimmer... I have 40lbs of sand in mine as well. and yes 30 would have been fine

Ok here are some updates...I have a few questions as you check out the pictures.

One, my 3rd chamber seems really low, I don't know why?

I can't tell if my skimmer is on/off, I plugged it into the RKE and the blue light is on...I even tried plugging it into an outlet by itself, away from the RKE, and it seems to not be doing anything, how can I tell?

Is my water level too high in the tank? Do these tanks always have the water "trinkle" sound or is there a way to minimize/reduce it? I don't mind it, just curious really.

I think I have too much sand in there...its pretty thick...40lbs worth...I should have just opened the 20lb bag and one of the 10lbs...dangit, I could have kept a bag!

The lights were on just for a test, I've turned them off now...

davidr2340

:happydance:

Right on bro... It's about damn time!!! ;)

Just add some more water to the 3rd chamber... I keep mine level with where the plate deal used to sit!

As far as quieting the water sound... You can add a filter pad of some sort on top, or some filter floss right below the plate in the middle chamber.

As far as telling if your skimmer is working... If you look at it from the back you should be able to see it doing something right? I'm using the stock skimmer right now, so I know it on the second I enter the house 'cause of all the noise it makes!!! omgomgomg

Hope I helped at least a lil' bit bro!!! -_-

TriggerHappyDude
I know why your water seems low....You need more water :) . add it to the third chamber until it is level to where the auto-topoff shelf would have been. that will also reduce the sound of water trickle. Isnt the back of your tank clear ? can u see bubbles in the skimmer... I have 40lbs of sand in mine as well. and yes 30 would have been fine

Yeah the back is clear, but I guess I placed it too close to the wall, I can't really see back there, I can slide it out if I must but I don't think I need to, as I pulled the skimmer out, and fidgeted with it enough that now its bubbling and working...not sure why it wasn't at first? Filled that 3rd chamber up more and yes the trickle is a lot less, I'm almost there. I have the VorTech on the side right now as I was messing too much with those chambers and it was in the way and I was afraid I was going to get the VorTech wet in that dry dock...once I get stuff settled in, I'll move it back to the dry dock.

I suppose I could take out some of that sand? I didn't realize I was putting 40 lbs in, wasn't thinking I guess...seems like a lot...20 might have even been enough...oh well.

:happydance:

Right on bro... It's about damn time!!! ;)

Just add some more water to the 3rd chamber... I keep mine level with where the plate deal used to sit!

As far as quieting the water sound... You can add a filter pad of some sort on top, or some filter floss right below the plate in the middle chamber.

As far as telling if your skimmer is working... If you look at it from the back you should be able to see it doing something right? I'm using the stock skimmer right now, so I know it on the second I enter the house 'cause of all the noise it makes!!! omgomgomg

Hope I helped at least a lil' bit bro!!! -_-

Got the skimmer working...I'm still worried about the 1/2" of air in the main tank...is that too much water should I take some out?

I have like a 3" sand bed, way too much, I will have to trim that down...guess I just scoop and trow away...?

I should start testing the water with my API test kits now huh?

No lights for a while?

TriggerHappyDude

Hours later, after the water starts to clear...

Way too much sand bed...3"...I need to cut it in half...how will I clear off the white sand grime streaks on the inside of the tank?

IMG_6746.jpg

IMG_6747.jpg

IMG_6748.jpg

IMG_6749.jpg

IMG_6750.jpg

IMG_6751.jpg

IMG_6752.jpg

TriggerHappyDude

If I decide to take some of that sand bed out, should I remove the rock and then scoop out till its about where I want, and then redo my aquascaping, ensuring that the rock is pushed in well enough to hit bottom...I'm thinking 1" to 1 1/2 " sand bed will be good for me.

nanoreef11

Very nice looking tank so far. I'm interested to watch you progress with it. I will be tagging along.

Oh for the sand issue I would only take out the LR if you feel the need to. I would say just take out most of the sand in the front and then level it out and push the LR in more if needed. Hope this helps.

Jon

TriggerHappyDude

Yeah, guess I will just scoop out a lot of the 40lbs of sand...and rework it around the bed, and redo my rock, its not very cool looking anyway...might have to pull some of the rock out just to get my hands in there to scoop out that extra sand. Then when I build my base up, I will make sure to push it down so it touches glass on the bottom...thanks!

How do you all clean the grime streaks from the white sandy stuff off the inside of your tanks?

nanoreef11

You can just use your hand and if that doesn't work then wipe it off with an algae pad. They make ones for glass and ones for acrylic. Acrylic ones are safer but take a little more strength when trying to get coralline algae off the glass. I currently have glass and acrylic algae pads but mainly use the acrylic i don't know why haha. Goodluck.

steely185

Siphon off some of your water into a bucket before reworking anything. This will keep you from having to use anymore water. A magfloat should work fine on the film. It will probably film up a bit for a few days. I would start running the lights on a regular basis to aid any cycling.

TriggerHappyDude

Ok, will do, sounds good. What should I test with my API kit, all of it?

lakshwadeep

+1 to using a siphon to remove sand (you can add the removed water back with a pump connected to the tubing). Test only ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/pH (and phosphates if you have them) for now. Other tests can wait. You don't have to test immediately, unless you think the rock is fully cured and you want to check if a mini-cycle is going on.

Or get a large fine mesh bag, attach it to the end of the siphon tube, let it all run into a nice clean container, maybe your salt mixing container, and the water will be filtered from the sand. Gonna need a big bag for this though so as the sand enter is the siphon has enough room at the top of the bag to continue working and the water has and exit. Other wise the siphon will slow too much. Or you can empty a smaller bag more ofter.

TriggerHappyDude

I'm a bit confused with this, why you are wanting me to siphon, are you afraid I'll lose water level? I have more of the same mix available? If I need to add more water after scooping out some of that sand I have it available...I don't understand the siphon stuff? I don't really have the tools for that, I have some 1" tubing I think? Thats about it? How would I create a siphon?

You stick the tube in the water, suck on the other end of it over a bucket to start water flowing. Then use the end in the tank as a vacuum, it will suck the sand up and out with very little disturbance or cloudiness in your tank.

Archived