SaltCritters.com

TriggerHappy about my Solana Reef

TriggerHappyDude

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TriggerHappyDude

DUDE! I know, its teasing me badly, I have rock and water right outside in the garage!

:closedeyes:

Luckily, I got word today...

They are due into customs this week, so we usually need a week or so to

clear customs and ship down here. Hopefully we should be able to start

shipping them next week.

Maybe I'll have my real camera in time for pictures of this tank with water?

TriggerHappyDude

Still no updates. The new "starphire" tank hasn't shipped yet, maybe this coming week. I'm starting to get anxious...but I know the tank will be worth the wait.

TriggerHappyDude

Well, I got an email today...the tanks finally came in and they are going to ship it to my LFS so its not beat up by FedEx or UPS etc...

This is really going to be cool. I will immediately add my rock/water/sand...and take some pictures...

FINALLY!

TriggerHappyDude
:happydance:

'Bout time!!! -_-

You aren't kidding. Hopefully it will be worth the wait.

I know I'll first do a freshwater leak test, but when everything checks out ok, should I use the week or two old water that my rock is in now, or start with fresh RO/DI water and mix salt and go from there?

You aren't kidding. Hopefully it will be worth the wait.

I know I'll first do a freshwater leak test, but when everything checks out ok, should I use the week or two old water that my rock is in now, or start with fresh RO/DI water and mix salt and go from there?

I'd start with mostly fresh. You could use a few gallons of the older water if you'd like, but I don't think it'll make much difference.

TriggerHappyDude

Ok then, what I need to do it move my rock to a temp 35 gallon Rubbermaid tub, so I can mix up some new water in the Brute to roll into the room where the tank is.

TriggerHappyDude

Well, got an email the other day...

I am shipping a tank to your store, it should leave to the OK distributor next week.

OK = Oklahoma, so I guess I'll have it next week?

omgomgomg

STILL NO TANK??? Damn bro! Mine is going to be stocked before you get water in yours!!! :lol:

;)

It'll be worth the wait bro!

TriggerHappyDude

I'm hoping its worth this wait...I've never been so patient in my life! Luckily for me the research and surfing for the Canon 5D Mark II camera has had my mind elsewhere...I finally had to move my Brute of live rock into the house, it was in the garage getting up to 83 degree's, I know its just rock, but figured I would bring it in to cool.

When I get to do my water test, should I have all the equipment in, such as skimmers, pumps, power heads etc?

TriggerHappyDude

Current-USA is shipping the tank to the local distributor this week, so I should have the tank this week!

But I'm going out of town on Friday, boo, so I won't have stuff in it unless it comes mid-week and I'm able to get it going before Friday...its coming though...no more promisies promisies...

TriggerHappyDude

The tank is here in OKC! The distributor has it, and my LFS is picking it up for me tomorrow so I'll have it tomorrow at this time! But I go out of town Friday, figures huh...I'll have some pics up next week as I add my water and live rock! Woo Hoo!

TriggerHappyDude

The tank is here, in the house, in its box, I don't have any time to mess with it because I'm heading out of town for the weekend, but look for updates coming next week! I'm pumped!

TriggerHappyDude

Ok, I got home about 3pm today and started with the unboxing of the new tank (#7043) which is the starphire 34 gallon version Solana, which they will be selling now everywhere, ask your LFS if they can get that model number, should be available.

Then I started hooking up stuff like my MP40w Vortech, the skimmer, heater, return pump, etc...wired it all nice and neat in the back. Then I had to move my live rock from the Brute trash can to a temporary 32 gallon rubbermaid tub. I cleaned out the brute and I'm now starting to make some fresh RO/DI water. I haven't decided if I'm going to just do a freshwater test of the tank with that water or just go ahead and mix it up with salt and get it ready for tomorrow to fill into the tank...what should I do?

If I do a freshwater test, do you take your equipment out and just do a tank only test? Or is it ok to leave the equipment in?

What next steps should I take to prepare for adding the live rock and sand? Should I let the live rock sit out on a towel and drip dry then do my aquascaping? Its been "cooking" in a closed Brute for about a month now, not sure what state its in? I guess its ok to not have it submerged for a bit, while I aquascape and add my sand right? Then once water is in it, I should start my water tests?

I had lots of questions as I was unpacking equipment and trying to setup, one that I think I've figured out is with my MP40w VorTech, I haven't plugged it in to power yet, but when I do does it need to be plugged into the 12v or 24v socket on the controller?

Some other things I will work on after I get water in it are the ATO and my ReefKeeper Elite.

lakshwadeep

You can do a fw test with equipment in.

Add rock first, then sand. Make sure the rock is stable and touching the bottom glass pane. Doing your aquascaping outside of the tank is one good method.

TriggerHappyDude

Would that fw test be RO/DI or just plain old fw?

How long can the rock be out of the water? It shouldn't take me that long to find a design, but not sure how long the rock can be out of the water?

TriggerHappyDude
Trigger what size heater are you going to put in your solana

I bought the 100w Stealth heater, its the only one (of the Stealth heaters) that is not too long and allows the water to go up to the fill line on the heater, well if you put it in the spot in the 1st chamber where its supposed to go. I think if you take the ATO bottles out of the 3rd chamber, you can get a bigger/longer heater and it would fit, but I didnt.

Archived