Pod Your Reef

TriggerHappy about my Solana Reef

TriggerHappyDude

TriggerHappyDude

I could stand to probably add a little bit more, depends though on if I keep the VorTech on the side or put it back in the middle...I just don't know what to do!

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I could stand to probably add a little bit more, depends though on if I keep the VorTech on the side or put it back in the middle...I just don't know what to do!

i would put it on the side, when in the middle it limits you aquascape and coral placement unless you only plan to have acros...i didnt like my vortech for this tank i put my 2 tunze nanostreams 6025 one on left bottom and one right top like them better for this tank...

but my tank is bare-bottom...

TriggerHappyDude
i would put it on the side, when in the middle it limits you aquascape and coral placement unless you only plan to have acros...i didnt like my vortech for this tank i put my 2 tunze nanostreams 6025 one on left bottom and one right top like them better for this tank...

but my tank is bare-bottom...

Yeah, I bought big, with thoughts of upgrading one day down the line, to something bigger and will use the MP40w more for that tank, right now its barely running...well I mean power wise. I'd rather have it running right now than sitting there waiting for an upgrade. Its a great powerhead. I will continue to play with the placement. Right now all I know for live stock is I plan to have maybe a few fish; clown fish (doesn't everybody get a Nemo?), blue/green chromis, longnosed hawkfish, some kind of goby or jawfish? As for the corals, I know NOTHING about them, don't even know what an acros is, I have to start reading up on the coral stuff. I didn't plan to have any for a while...my first goals were to get a stable tank and water. Right now I can't even figure out the back side of this Solana!

Hey Trigger, haven't been around for awhile but build is coming along nicely!. WTG!

I have had three weeks from purgatory with my tank. Everything was going all to well and then I got more schooling. No pun intended.

Nice to see your Solana progressing :happy:

TriggerHappyDude
Hey Trigger, haven't been around for awhile but build is coming along nicely!. WTG!

I have had three weeks from purgatory with my tank. Everything was going all to well and then I got more schooling. No pun intended.

Nice to see your Solana progressing :happy:

What do you mean, what happened? More schooling?

Yeah, I bought big, with thoughts of upgrading one day down the line, to something bigger and will use the MP40w more for that tank, right now its barely running...well I mean power wise. I'd rather have it running right now than sitting there waiting for an upgrade. Its a great powerhead. I will continue to play with the placement. Right now all I know for live stock is I plan to have maybe a few fish; clown fish (doesn't everybody get a Nemo?), blue/green chromis, longnosed hawkfish, some kind of goby or jawfish? As for the corals, I know NOTHING about them, don't even know what an acros is, I have to start reading up on the coral stuff. I didn't plan to have any for a while...my first goals were to get a stable tank and water. Right now I can't even figure out the back side of this Solana!

just make sure the water in the 3rd chamber is leveled with the ato plate line tank will do everything else itself...put some filter floss in your 2nd chamber to stop water trickle noise...

TriggerHappyDude
+1 to using a siphon to remove sand (you can add the removed water back with a pump connected to the tubing). Test only ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/pH (and phosphates if you have them) for now. Other tests can wait. You don't have to test immediately, unless you think the rock is fully cured and you want to check if a mini-cycle is going on.

Ok, so when I test the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/pH and phosphates, what numbers do I want them to be at?

I have the API test kits Reef and Saltwater, so I guess the documentation will tell me whats good and bad?

How do I know if a cycle is going on? The rock, not sure if you call it cured or cooked, but had been sitting in a guys garage, a big tub, no light, and then I took it home to the same, but smaller setup. Rubbermaid tub with cover, let a Maxi Jet 1200 move water and had a heater in there. So not sure the state?

TriggerHappyDude

Just some of the latest FTS after about a week now...

IMG_6822.jpg

IMG_6823.jpg

IMG_6824.jpg

IMG_6825.jpg

IMG_6826.jpg

IMG_6827.jpg

The VorTech is still on the side. I am using the stock ATO bottles right now and I was filling them up like every 8 hours or so, but all of a sudden its slowed down a lot, not sure why, the tank seems to be running very efficiently and smooth, afraid to bother the flow!

Damn that light is HOT! Looks great Trigga! Set up your ATO, took me a while to get it perfect but since I have had it running my tank has been perfect. Let the waiting game begin.

Looks very sexy. I love the solanas. My boy has one with the discoball MH and its purty. Mated pair of target mandies and a jungle fever clown pair.. its a funny tank.

TriggerHappyDude

I have the RKE turning on the lights around 3pm and off at 9pm, I came home last night and some algae is starting to show, should I have the lights off more or my normal on period? I suppose I need to do my water tests and post here for some advice on what to do next and prepare for.

Damn that light is HOT! Looks great Trigga! Set up your ATO, took me a while to get it perfect but since I have had it running my tank has been perfect. Let the waiting game begin.

Actually the light is very cool, temps have stayed very steady from 79 -80, never over or under. The fixture did get hot one time, but thats only because I have it timed to come on with the RKE and had forgot and changed a setting with the fan portion of the fixture, and it was running with no fans for about a hour or two...once I realized this from the heat I felt, I turned the fan back on and it cooled it quickly.

I will start that challenge soon, but honestly, I haven't had to refill the two ATO bottles that came with the tank in a few days, at first it was very often, but since about Wed, all of a sudden, they have stayed full, I don't understand why?

aquarium parameters:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

the cycle:

http://www.nano-reef.com/articles/?article=8

http://www.nano-reef.com/articles/?article=17

and this (myth 15):

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-01/eb/index.php

Your rocks are probably cycled, but you will have algae blooms (which can be considered another cycle).

Ok, so I think I'm getting the algae bloom you mentioned...what do I need to do about it? Let it grow? Its starting to show on the rocks, I can post some pics soon so you can see what color/kind it might be.

When do I consider a CUC etc...?

nanoreef11

Your tank is going through a normal cycle which is a good sign. You will see some algae/diatoms and it will cover most of your sand bed. Keep testing your water and when you notice no more ammonia or nitrites then you are ready to do a good water change to rid of the nitrates. At this point in the game you will be adding your cleanup crew and not much later your first fish.

Glad to hear things are going well with your tank trigger.

TriggerHappyDude
Your tank is going through a normal cycle which is a good sign. You will see some algae/diatoms and it will cover most of your sand bed. Keep testing your water and when you notice no more ammonia or nitrites then you are ready to do a good water change to rid of the nitrates. At this point in the game you will be adding your cleanup crew and not much later your first fish.

Glad to hear things are going well with your tank trigger.

Thanks! How will I clean my sand bed of algae/diatoms? I have not done any testing yet, but will tonight, I'll post the results. I appreciate the advice and help.

nanoreef11
Thanks! How will I clean my sand bed of algae/diatoms? I have not done any testing yet, but will tonight, I'll post the results. I appreciate the advice and help.

When you add your cleanup crew they should take care of this. Various hermit crabs and nassarius snails will get the job done. A fish that I highly recommend is a diamond goby. Probably the best sand sifting fish I know of. The only problem with the diamond gobies are that they are known to jump. So in your case it might not be a great addition because he could jump easily. Just something to look into. Hope this helps. Let us know what the tests results are.

Jon

TriggerHappyDude
When you add your cleanup crew they should take care of this. Various hermit crabs and nassarius snails will get the job done. A fish that I highly recommend is a diamond goby. Probably the best sand sifting fish I know of. The only problem with the diamond gobies are that they are known to jump. So in your case it might not be a great addition because he could jump easily. Just something to look into. Hope this helps. Let us know what the tests results are.

Jon

I'm considering either leaving the top on when I'm not at home, so far no issue with heat. Or creating a mesh/screen top to keep jumpers in.

nanoreef11
I'm considering either leaving the top on when I'm not at home, so far no issue with heat. Or creating a mesh/screen top to keep jumpers in.

Now that's an idea. If you either make a mesh top of leave the top on then a diamond goby is an awesome fish to have, I just added one to my tank not too long ago because I was having problems with algae on the sand and he cleared things up in 2-3 days max.

I would wait for a good 2 weeks after the cycle and then put him in your tank. CUC first then goby.

TriggerHappyDude

Ok, my very first water tests went a lot better than I imagined it would go.

pH was hardest to read, the picture looks very different than in person.

pH - 8.2

Ammonia - 0

Nitrites - 0

Nitrates - 0

pH and Ammonia

IMG_6842.jpg

Nitrites and Nitrates

IMG_6843.jpg

So when do I get to add a CUC? I already hate the algae bloom that has begun!

With those readings now I would go get a few snails and see how it goes for a week or so.

On the mesh top, I made one from pond nettint. It is 3/8" opening and I had a Pearly do the carpet surfing gig right through it so I doubled it up making a cross hatch pattern. Here is a picture.

01nettop.jpg

Just curious if his cycle could have happened in the tubs he was keeping his rock in??

Also trigger when I said your light was "hot" I meant it was cool..lol B)

Archived