Innovative Marine Aquariums

TriggerHappy about my Solana Reef

TriggerHappyDude

noirsphynx

I've only ever found a handful of aipstasia in my tank but when the odd one does pop up I immediately fill a hypedermic syringe with boiling hot RO water and inject the little bugger and it's worked like a charm every time........so long as the spot is reachable.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TriggerHappyDude
I've only ever found a handful of aipstasia in my tank but when the odd one does pop up I immediately fill a hypedermic syringe with boiling hot RO water and inject the little bugger and it's worked like a charm every time........so long as the spot is reachable.

Was told lemon juice works too? I can reach both spots where they are, does the hot water or lemon juice kill them or just make them let go of their spot?

noirsphynx
Was told lemon juice works too? I can reach both spots where they are, does the hot water or lemon juice kill them or just make them let go of their spot?

Actually I was doing both and have had good luck either way. In my experience they get nuked from either mixture being boiled and you can see them disinigrate into a white goo as they're dying, I think the lemon juice did a better job of that part though but I ran out and the last time I did it was just with RO water.

• 2 weeks later...
TriggerHappyDude

I have a topic to start discussing...is my tank leaking?

For the 2nd time this month, today and a few Sundays ago when my RKE head died on me in the middle of the night, I've come into the tank room to find water puddled up on the front lip of my stand with a little bit dripping down into the glass door below. I don't see where it would have spilled over from the top, no traces of it doing that, it appears to be coming from the bottom of the tank. The entire left side of the bottom of it appears to have the soft pad on the bottom soaking wet. The first time I thought it was due to the RKE killing power to everything and maybe a bit of overflow from no pumps running, today everything was running fine and I found the puddle on the front lip of the stand...so you tell me what you think?

I don't want to jump to conclusions yet, and will see if I get any more puddles in a few weeks or so...but if this thing has to come down due to a leak, I don't know if I'll set it back up, so I might have some stuff for sale soon...

We'll just have to see.

TriggerHappyDude
This is why I'm scared of shipping tanks. Hopefully the water came from spills. fingerscrossed

Yeah, well so was Current-USA and thats why they didn't have it shipped to my door, it was shipped via pallet to their local distributor here in OKC, who then contacted the LFS and they picked it up. Its been fine, but I wonder what is going on down there...

I do not think you have a leak, that much pressure would cause your water to stream out. I am new to reefkeeping(just about to get my cuc) but I know glass and dabbled in plumbing, a leak does not hide it happens and fast with pressure. You know I noticed when I test water parameters etc there are spills and they creep under the tank sometimes. I also have found salt streaks going down the glass and discovered that the plastic pieces that hold the glass lid sometimes cause a little spillage so you may have a little overflow from something up top

TriggerHappyDude
I do not think you have a leak, that much pressure would cause your water to stream out. I am new to reefkeeping(just about to get my cuc) but I know glass and dabbled in plumbing, a leak does not hide it happens and fast with pressure. You know I noticed when I test water parameters etc there are spills and they creep under the tank sometimes. I also have found salt streaks going down the glass and discovered that the plastic pieces that hold the glass lid sometimes cause a little spillage so you may have a little overflow from something up top

I have kept those plastic pieces on and have seen where they cause water to drip down from them, I bet then that over the course of a few hours it runs the same course and under the tank and eventually spills out looking like a leak, I'll let them off for a while and see if the issues do/don't reappear. Thanks for a positive thought!

I have kept those plastic pieces on and have seen where they cause water to drip down from them, I bet then that over the course of a few hours it runs the same course and under the tank and eventually spills out looking like a leak, I'll let them off for a while and see if the issues do/don't reappear. Thanks for a positive thought!

Yeah water will always tell you if you are level, I am glad to keep it positive you have helped me indirectly setup my solana with your posts least I can do. I finally removed my plastic pieces b/c well i never used them and I kept cleaning the glass like an idiot every day...I asked myself what am I doing?

You also mentioned snails getting out which could cause it and you have a newborn which means you may not be getting sleep and are looking for something to get POed at(been there it gets better)

Is your Vortech set in "pulse" mode making a wave? I have mine set in "short pulse" mode making a wave and the wave just touches the top of the glass before it falls back down...every once in a while, it spills over when my carbon & phosguard bags in chamber 2 needs to be cleaned...

• 2 weeks later...
TriggerHappyDude

I bought 3 Blue/Green Chromis today and a Yellow Watchman Goby...all but one Chromis was hiding in the rock most of the day, I guess this is usual behavior for new fish in a new tank?

I didn't know what food to buy for them so I just got flakes...should I consider something else?

How often and how much do I feed 3 Blue/Green Chromis and 1 Yellow Watchman Goby?

I bought 3 Blue/Green Chromis today and a Yellow Watchman Goby...all but one Chromis was hiding in the rock most of the day, I guess this is usual behavior for new fish in a new tank?

I didn't know what food to buy for them so I just got flakes...should I consider something else?

How often and how much do I feed 3 Blue/Green Chromis and 1 Yellow Watchman Goby?

yea it is normal for fish to hide during the first days of being put into the tank. Flake is a good choice of food on a daily basis. Feed them only once a day and enough food to be completely eaten in 2 minutes. I would feed some frozen foods as well. Brine shrimp and mysis shrimp are both good choices. Hope this answers some of your questions.

Happy Reefing

Jon

TriggerHappyDude

Yes it does help thank you!

How do I know how much will feed all 4 fish (in 2 minutes)?

Yes it does help thank you!

How do I know how much will feed all 4 fish (in 2 minutes)?

Trial and error.

Start out with a small amount, they won't starve.

TriggerHappyDude

Ok, right now only 2 of the 3 Chromis are out and comfy swimming, the other one has a nice shaded hiding spot, and the watchman goby is hidden out of sight. Should I wait till are 4 are out and comfy to try to feed?

I would go ahead and feed because they will get the idea that something is going on and eventually come out. It's also a good idea to turn off the return pump when you feed so that food doesn't get trapped in your rear chambers. It's not mandatory to do this but it is a good idea.

Jon

TriggerHappyDude

Ok, so I got the frozen cubes of brine shrimp, do you all think 1 cube is good for these 4 fish? Right now, only one is out swimming. Do you turn off your return pump and the power head or just the return pump?

Ok, so I got the frozen cubes of brine shrimp, do you all think 1 cube is good for these 4 fish? Right now, only one is out swimming. Do you turn off your return pump and the power head or just the return pump?

I would start with half of a cube. I usually turn off just the return pump so that food is still traveling in the water with the powerhead. It's kinda personal preference at that point.

Jon

TriggerHappyDude

Well I found one of the 3 Chromis, wedged in between some rocks, moved him out and he was pretty much floating dead. I got a hold of him and put him in some of the water in a jug, I can see his gills moving every now and then but don't think he's gonna make it. Not sure what got this one? Found a crab dead the other day too, water looks good when I did a test. Maybe just the stress from the move? He's just swimming upside down, real lathargic like. Maybe the other two picked on him?

Well I found one of the 3 Chromis, wedged in between some rocks, moved him out and he was pretty much floating dead. I got a hold of him and put him in some of the water in a jug, I can see his gills moving every now and then but don't think he's gonna make it. Not sure what got this one? Found a crab dead the other day too, water looks good when I did a test. Maybe just the stress from the move? He's just swimming upside down, real lathargic like. Maybe the other two picked on him?

More than likely its the stress. Sorry about your potential loss. Is everyone else in the tank doing fine?

TriggerHappyDude

Yeah he's a gonner, nothing from him now. I will keep his body and see if the LFS will let me get another one since he didn't last less than 24 hrs...

Everyone else is fine, the 2 other Chromis look good, one is more brave the other right now but at least they are both swimming and looking for food. I caught glimpse of the Yellow Watchman earlier, and then he darted back into the caves...but he was out for a bit.

Yea take the dead guy back and see if they will give you credit. They will more than likely want a water sample so bring one in just invade. Sorry about your loss. I hate to see animals go.

Keep us updated if you get another chromis.

Yeah he's a gonner, nothing from him now. I will keep his body and see if the LFS will let me get another one since he didn't last less than 24 hrs...

Any justice at the LFS?

Also, any news on mystery water?

Osric

TriggerHappyDude
Any justice at the LFS?

Also, any news on mystery water?

Osric

The LFS is closed on Mondays. Maybe tomorrow.

No more mystery water, I have determined it was due to the glass lid holder clips which I have removed and the water hasn't appeared since.

Will update tomorrow.

lakshwadeep

Are you getting fish from Aquarium Concepts? I don't think they quarantine their fish. However, for chromis, aggression may have been a problem. It's hard to keep small groups of them.

Archived