SaltCritters.com

TriggerHappy about my Solana Reef

TriggerHappyDude

TriggerHappyDude
Just curious if his cycle could have happened in the tubs he was keeping his rock in??

Also trigger when I said your light was "hot" I meant it was cool..lol B)

I know Ryan, I was just messin' with ya! :lol: I was just being silly.

I think I did have my cycle already, either in the tubs or a quick one in the tank.

But I'm not 100% sure, I am not trying to rush it either, so any advice is welcome.

I asked the guy who sold me my rock, told him the situation, and he said its time for life.

He accounted it on the good rock he sold me, my live sand and such.

So I'm looking to buy a CUC...on here I see reefcleaners.org is highly recommended.

My rock guy suggested reeftopia.com or saltwater.com for the CUC...I don't really know what all to buy for the Solana size?

On the Reeftopia.com site I found this:

Algae Control Critters Special

36 Turbo Snail {astrae}, 12 Med Blue Leg Hermits, 12 Scarlet Reef Hermits, 4 Emerald Crab, 6 Nerite Snails, 6 Cerith Snails and 2 Star Snail. Free Shipping & Box. You may purchase additional items along with this special and get free shipping & box for those items as well.

Price: $99.00

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carefull of the emeralds, they are good eaters but mine ate my frogspawn and was going at my ricordeas then enough was enough!

I have 6 turbos

20 small blue hermits that are all bad :angry:

and 1 scarlet that is bad :angry:

They all did the job and right now I have no issues at all.

I still only have the 2 fish a shrimp, and 2 pom poms crabs that are funny as hell.

Do you have a stock plan as far as fish and inverts?

TriggerHappyDude

Fish yes...

3 Blue/Green Chromis

2 Percula Clowfish (false or true doesn't matter?)

1 Longnose Hawkfish

1 Jawfish or Goby (maybe, due to issues with jumpers)

That may be too much for this tank as well?

LPS/SPS/Softies/Hardies/Etc...NO CLUE! The reef stuff I'm really new to and I need to do a lot of reading on what is what, I couldn't identify a single coral for anything...

TriggerHappyDude
Seriously bro... Go with reefcleaners.org! John will take might fine care of you, and he'll do it for a helluva a good price as well!!!

I emailed them on the form they have with all my tank information etc...how long does it take them to get back to me? I just did it this afternoon. I have heard good things about them. Did he do a custom CUC for you David?

Here is some photos of my algae growth...normal looking stuff?

IMG_6845.jpg

IMG_6846.jpg

IMG_6847.jpg

IMG_6848.jpg

IMG_6849.jpg

IMG_6851.jpg

IMG_6852.jpg

IMG_6853.jpg

IMG_6854.jpg

Nice selection, unsure on overstocking or not. When you buy your corals be sure and check your local reef club online. My mistake I didnt do this from the get go and have stuff I want to get rid of already. For a while now I have been getting choice selections at a cheap price. You will be addicted!! omgomgomg

Looks like its time for your CUC. LOVE your scape Trigga

davidr2340

Normal stuff for sure bro... Diatoms!!!

John is usually very fast to get back to you, usually same day if he's around.

And yes... He did a custom CUC for me a while back!

TriggerHappyDude
Nice selection, unsure on overstocking or not. When you buy your corals be sure and check your local reef club online. My mistake I didnt do this from the get go and have stuff I want to get rid of already. For a while now I have been getting choice selections at a cheap price. You will be addicted!! omgomgomg

Yeah I joined COMAS (Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society) and I'm sure I'll be getting "frags" and learning all that once I hit my first meeting etc...right now I haven't even gone to one yet. Of course I didn't have a tank for months!

Normal stuff for sure bro... Diatoms!!!

John is usually very fast to get back to you, usually same day if he's around.

And yes... He did a custom CUC for me a while back!

Cool, so what am I looking at spending on the Custom CUC?

Do I need to do anything else at this point to help control this or rid it?

davidr2340
Yeah I joined COMAS (Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society) and I'm sure I'll be getting "frags" and learning all that once I hit my first meeting etc...right now I haven't even gone to one yet. Of course I didn't have a tank for months!

Cool, so what am I looking at spending on the Custom CUC?

I knew you were going to ask me that... MY MEMORY IS THA SUXORS!!!

I want to say around $50.00 or so... Trust me when I say this, you'll get a TON of critters!!! :o

nanoreef11

Just let the algae grow for right now as it's adding to your biological filtration and will provide food for your CUC. Tank looks good and normal.

On the stock list I would say that's a good amount of fish.

Goodluck

Jon

fastandsneaky

brown algae is a good sign showing that the cycle is near its end. On the emerald crabs 3 seems excessive since there isn't much algae and there's a chance that the emerald will pick on the other inverts. I have never had mine pick on coral but it does pick at coralline algae. Tank looks great. Keep up the great work.

P.S. you have amazing patience which is a great quality in this hobby.

TriggerHappyDude
brown algae is a good sign showing that the cycle is near its end. On the emerald crabs 3 seems excessive since there isn't much algae and there's a chance that the emerald will pick on the other inverts. I have never had mine pick on coral but it does pick at coralline algae. Tank looks great. Keep up the great work.

P.S. you have amazing patience which is a great quality in this hobby.

Thanks fastandsneaky, that was just a list of an "algae control" setup from reeftopia.com, I was just using as an example of what they were offering, I'm going to wait for John from reefcleaners.org to get back to me and see what custom CUC he can get me, most here hold this company with high standards, so thats got to be good.

I learned patience for some things, others I have none. I just wanted to be sure I was patient with this tank, as I wasn't so in the past with my FO tank, and well, I did bad things.

TriggerHappyDude

Ok, so I got some CUC from a LFS who didn't have all the same stuff mentioned earlier from ReefCleaners.org, he just gave me some things, then the rest I ordered from ReefCleaners.org and it will be here next week...so for now I have 1 emerald crab, 3 scarlet crabs, and some snails...I think there are some Nerite Snails, but not sure if he had any Cerith Snails; those are coming from ReefCleaners.org along with some hermits.

[NOTE: Please, if you hit REPLY take out the IMG tags, so you don't re-post these pics; there is about 14 of them and I'd rather not take up all the bandwidth, thanks]

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

It's coming along man. Once you get those ceriths in there you should be pretty set.. I just saw your planned stocking list as well and it looks like it would make for a fun tank.. Can't wait to see that.

lakshwadeep

3 chromis may be a stretch since interspecific aggresssion can be too concentrated, leading to you having one left.

TriggerHappyDude
3 chromis may be a stretch since interspecific aggresssion can be too concentrated, leading to you having one left.

So then 2? Or just 1? I thought they did well in schools, but I guess this tank is small.

davidr2340
So then 2? Or just 1? I thought they did well in schools, but I guess this tank is small.

I may be wrong... But I think you only want odd #'s. So 2 would be a no-go!

lakshwadeep

Sorry, I should have added that often you need 5 or more individuals to have a stable school.

TriggerHappyDude
Sorry, I should have added that often you need 5 or more individuals to have a stable school.

Ok, so then I can/can't have these in my tank? I could cut out something else, like the goby/jawfish and hawkfish or whatever, you think 5 is way to much for this tank, or if they are the only fish?

lakshwadeep
Ok, so then I can/can't have these in my tank? I could cut out something else, like the goby/jawfish and hawkfish or whatever, you think 5 is way to much for this tank, or if they are the only fish?

You could probably get away with them on their own or with a few small fish. Getting a smaller species (I think the blue chromis) would be good. Generous feeding will also help to limit aggression.

3 Blue/Green Chromis

2 Percula Clowfish (false or true doesn't matter?)

1 Longnose Hawkfish

1 Jawfish or Goby (maybe, due to issues with jumpers)

That may be too much for this tank as well?

I think you'll be OK with these. I personally have a yellow watchman goby and frankly can't imagine him swimming to the top of the tank much less jumping out. But now that there are more fish in my tank, and especially the flame angel, I'm thinking maybe I should get his prawn to go with him, so he has a better place to hide.

I don't think percs versus ocellaris matters either, check the adult coloration to decide what you want.

Osric

TriggerHappyDude

Another question I wanted to ask my reef friends. I have this 24x4 ATI Powermodule light, but don't really like the look of two of the bulbs when they are on, right now in the state my tank is in, is it ok to just run two of the bulbs? I have 4 other bulbs I ordered a while back that I will play with the combos, but for right now just wondering if I'm doing the tank harm by running only the two? I think its a Aqua Sun and Aqua Blue Special that are on, and the two Blue Plus lights are off.

TriggerHappyDude

thanks lakshwadeep! What about storing mixed salt water, the garage is running, right now, about 97 degrees, can I mix up salt water in my Brute trash can and keep it out there to use for water changes?

Or is it just better to keep RO/DI water out in it, and then do my mixing when ready for a water change, after I get a 5 gallon bucket of RO/DI water?

thanks lakshwadeep! What about storing mixed salt water, the garage is running, right now, about 97 degrees, can I mix up salt water in my Brute trash can and keep it out there to use for water changes?

Or is it just better to keep RO/DI water out in it, and then do my mixing when ready for a water change, after I get a 5 gallon bucket of RO/DI water?

You can premix it and let it sit in the garage no problem. I would personally keep a powerhead in the can to keep it aerated and mixed well but I know people who don't bother and just mix it well before use. I would recommend covering it too. It might get a bit hot in there though if it's 97 degrees.

When I had my big tank up, I was doing weekly 50G water changes, so I used to mix up about 100G at a time and some would end up sitting a week or two, sometimes longer if I missed a water change ;)

Archived