ReefCleaners.org

TriggerHappy about my Solana Reef

TriggerHappyDude

TriggerHappyDude
When does your tank arrive?

Its supposed to be shipped the first week of April...? So two weeks?

Its hard having this empty tank here, with everything I need to fill it up now, and waiting on the starphire version of the tank to come along...but must have a little patience...

speaking of patience, what do you all know or think about these?

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~cat...y~FIADAOMB.html

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I have seen on here I think the less you put in your tank to cycle the better. I would definately do some research if you decide to add any of those items. Your rocks should cycle in the tub while you wait for your tank though. Are you testing yet?

lakshwadeep

Yes, I strongly suggest just letting the rocks/sand cycle on their own. Also, just ignore the additives/supplements section on websites or actual LFSs. The most successful tanks have very specific supplementation/dosing that is tailored to something missing in their tank. For cycling, you already have all the bacterial cultures needed.

TriggerHappyDude

Ok I figured as much, just thought I'd ask. I'm not testing the water in the tub at all, I guess I thought I would end up using brand new water in the first fill of the tank anyway?

TriggerHappyDude
Find any HH? This was the rock that came out of that huge ass tank near you? Just curious. Getting excited? omgomgomg

There are some snails on the rock but not sure what else, I think its mostly cured or cooked rock. So not a lot of HH, but yeah this rock came from the guy who has the 600 gallon tank, this rock though wasn't out of the tank, it was in his extra stash.

TriggerHappyDude

Well, I added the stock skimmer to the tub where my live rock has been curing or cooking, and its been a couple days and its breaking in as there is some brown stuff forming in the top cup. So I guess its doing its job...hoping that new tank with low iron glass comes in this week or next, then you'll see some water and rock added finally!

Thanks for this thread, it was very helpful. I've been running a Solana stock (minus bioballs/sponges, plus powerheads) for about a year and was looking to upgrade behind the wall. There are some great ideas in here. I'm probably going to stick with the stock return, but that sapphire skimmer is on my shopping list, as are those submersible lights (I've been looking for a submersible, I was almost ready to just hot glue a PC into a clear plastic vessel) and an osmolator.

I'm not a coral expert (mostly softies), and I don't have a ton of gadgets, but I thought I might share a few things that I've experienced:

Your fish WILL jump. The tank is small and if they get spooked, up is the most likely direction. I had a Masuda Hogfish that jumped 4 times before I missed rescuing him. Other fish have jumped as well. The water level in the Solana is pretty close to the lip compared to most tanks and rimless only makes it easier to clear. Open top looks sexy, but just something to think about (not to mention evaporation is abut 5x as high uncovered).

You probably only want to stock 4 fish. I'm not some fish Nazi like over at RC, but I had 5 (flametail blenny, black clown, potters angel, flame hawk, hogfish) at one point and I could just tell they were overcrowded. Not in terms of bioload, but just physical space. All but the clown were together in my previous 65G setup without issue (along with a couple others I gave away) but aggression became a problem in the smaller tank. Now I'm back to 3 and it's more comfortable, but a little empty. I think 4 is about right.

This is kind of a duh: but be sure that you get the tank perfectly level, and I mean perfectly. The tank is designed to spill over the back if you displace water too fast, but if you don't have it spot on it won't work. As I said before the tank is designed with the water level quite high. I recall you have also upgraded the return, which will push it even higher. Then again it looks like you have a nice new home, as opposed to my 1920's slanty floors. ;)

TriggerHappyDude

Thanks Rudiger, great insight and information. I appreciate it.

I recall you have also upgraded the return, which will push it even higher. Then again it looks like you have a nice new home, as opposed to my 1920's slanty floors.

I didn't replace the stock return pump, decided to wait and see how it does first.

The submersible lights, where I got them are not available right now, inTank - Mediabaskets.com is temporarily closed while StevieT is moving...but you can get on his list I'm sure?

My home was built in 2005, but the wood floors are just from last year.

I will see how well the level is. Thank you.

I am putting a grate over mine at night and when not at home. I have been luck so far but dont wanna take the chance of having expensive cat food :o

Now back to our show...

The mail man just dropped off this nice package...from inTank Mediabaskets...

Its my VorTech MP40w Dry Dock and my fuge submersible lights...the dry dock is so I can mount the VorTech powerhead in the back middle of the tank, and not show any wires at all.

The submersible lights are to grow cheato down there one day, after my tank has cycled.

IMG_6602-1.jpg

IMG_6603.jpg

IMG_6607-1.jpg

IMG_6608-1.jpg

I see you already got your light for your chaeto. I know you were looking at other options so here it is... It is the best light for you tank. It actually fits the chamber you are growing your chaeto in perfectily without bleeding any light into the other chambers. The light is 5 leds 6500k which is great for growing chaeto.

http://www.nanocustoms.com/product_info.ph...c3e5e349fee72dc

post-43772-1238563368.jpg

post-43772-1238563384_thumb.jpg

TriggerHappyDude

And it sticks to the back of the tank, I guess? No thanks. Not really what I wanted, less clutter the better.

The inTank/MediaBaskets.com lights will do fine. Thanks though, the thought is appreciated.

Rudiger, are you using any top then? Without the top on ( no fish yet ) and the 150 W pendant I am hitting just above 83'.

I run with the top on 99% of the time.

My temp is a pretty stable 80 with the disco ball pendant, but the climate here is a dry 70-75 all the time.

TriggerHappyDude

Ok, so an update. The new Solana Starphire/Low Iron glass tank should be arriving this coming week. I mixed up about 15 gallons of RO/DI salt water and have had it in the Brute trash can mixing with the Maxi Jet 1200, its been in there all week. Today I moved all my rock from the 35 gallon rubbermaid tub, into the brute trash can, as this rubbermaid tub was warping on the sides from the water pressure. So now my rock is in the Brute, complete dark. What do I need to be doing to this water? Should I be testing it? Should I be doing anything special? I check the specific gravity with my refractometer, and it was closer to 1.030, should I be trying to keep it at 1.025? How do I lower it? Should I be doing any kit tests to this water? I suppose I can use this water in the tank with my rock and sand, once I'm ready? Or should I start with a newly mixed up batch of water? I guess I've been waiting to anything specific until the water is in the actual tank its going to live in.

I am new so I dont know about which water to use but it sounds like youneed to top off your water with freshwater to keep your salinity down, probably evaporating from your heater? Have you tested anything yet?

TriggerHappyDude

Nope, just the salinity with the refractometer, it was 1.030...a tad higher than I've seen to keep it at 1.025...no other tests at all. I just added another 4 gallons of fresh RO/DI water.

Id do a test to see if you started your cycle, im sure it has. Not sure what to do here, wait for the pros to come in!

masterbuilder

Dude...you would drive a wooden indian crazy!

Jokin...in a way

Mark

p.s. Get the thing set up and relax.

TriggerHappyDude

Well I'm waiting on that damned new starphire tank to arrive, so I can get it setup and relax!

The water that the rock is in now is brand new, freshly mixed salt water, I don't think its cycled at all.

The guy who sold it to me wanted me to do this when I first brought it home, but I mixed up about 15 gallons then and added it to his old water...and it had been sitting in the 35 gallon tub for all this time, till today when I moved the rock to brand new mixed salt water in the Brute...so if it had cycled, it started over...so I guess when I get the new tank, and add this water and rock to it, thats when I'll start the real test kit testing and cycling. The reason I moved it was the rubbermaid tub it was sitting in was warping on the sides and letting light in and just looked like it was about to burst. So the Brute with stronger shape, was my only answer.

lakshwadeep

Saltwater itself doesn't "cycle" because there is a minimal amount of bacteria in the water column. So, there is no difference in using water from a tank or from a mixing bucket except the tank water will have depleted and increased concentrations of different compound relative to the standardized concentrations of freshly mixed saltwater. As long as the rocks you got have cycled, you should experience little to no cycling when you transfer them to your tank even if you added 100% new saltwater.

TriggerHappyDude

Ok, well thats good news. So just transfer and start testing the water every day for a week, to see if anything is testing out high or low?

Archived