Coral Vue Hydros

TriggerHappy about my Solana Reef

TriggerHappyDude

TriggerHappyDude

Ordered the Solana 34 Gallon 20x20x20 tank and Espresso stand from my LFS yesterday 2/11/2009.

Picked up the tank and stand the very next day, owner said there is a distributor in town, one day service not bad, was a quick and easy transaction, and a pretty good price, said it was "ON SALE"!

I'm still researching and shopping for the following...budget might slow these additions down...

1. ATI 24" 4x24w Powermodule - $460
  2. VorTech MP40w - $340
  3. Sapphire Aquatics Solana/Cardiff NanoSkimmer - $130
  4. ReefKeeper Elite System - $490
  5. Refractometer - $70
  6. RO/DI Unit - $175
  7. Pumps, Heaters, Substrate, Salt, etc...

I will be asking for help on a lot of the smaller items one needs to start a tank.

So here are a few pics of my first tank in the boxes...boring I know...

IMG_6546.jpg

IMG_6547.jpg

IMG_6548.jpg

I will post some more pictures this weekend, as I unbox the stuff and put it into its place in the room!

Glad to finally be part of the Solana family...Yay! Let the adventures begin.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TriggerHappyDude

Ha! You guys are too much. I just wanted to give you a basis of where its going to fit in the design of this newly re-designed office. Its a going to be a major piece of "ART" in here. The bare walls will get stuff hung on them soon too! It was late when I created the thread, so the un-boxing will be done this evening after work...check back later tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for a good start-up pep talk though.

TriggerHappyDude

Ok, just as I promised, more pictures of the Solana getting setup...

Now on to the stand unpacking...

IMG_6574.jpg

IMG_6575.jpg

2 hours later, and a few frustrations...we have a tank and stand!

IMG_6581.jpg

IMG_6582.jpg

IMG_6583.jpg

IMG_6586.jpg

IMG_6592.jpg

IMG_6593.jpg

IMG_6594.jpg

IMG_6599.jpg

IMG_6597.jpg

Ok, just as I promised, more pictures of the Solana getting setup...

First I have to show off my new Christian Hosoi Hammerhead Skateboard deck that I purchased off ebay, it just came in the mail today, while its only a reissue of the skateboard I used to ride when I was a kid back in 1985, its now decor in the office...not the same exact color either, but its still nostalgic!

Is this the stuff I need to remove all together?

IMG_6602.jpg

yeah that is what you remove

TriggerHappyDude

Here are some pictures of the back of the tank...still deciding on what all to do back here, refuge with cheato and live rock rubble? Probably upgrade the skimmer to a Sapphire Aquatics Skimmer for the Solana?

IMG_6604.jpg

IMG_6606.jpg

IMG_6607.jpg

IMG_6608.jpg

IMG_6609.jpg

TriggerHappyDude

Scott, I'm NEW, please educate me, if Live Rock Rubble is not GOOD or I should consider another option, please share with me...I'm open to every suggestion and reasoning.

Ok, and do I also remove the red balls from the skimmer, if I choose to use this skimmer?

yes remove those too..and remove the sponges with filter floss..alot of people get the polyfiber stuff from craft stores or wal mart and use..its cheaper and works just as good

Scott, I'm NEW, please educate me, if Live Rock Rubble is not GOOD or I should consider another option, please share with me...I'm open to every suggestion and reasoning.

Oh. I thought we already went over this. :huh: Maybe not?

dont use live rock rubble because it can do the same thing that the bio balls do..trap detrius and release nitrates back into the tank..just use the cheato

TriggerHappyDude
yes remove those too..and remove the sponges with filter floss..alot of people get the polyfiber stuff from craft stores or wal mart and use..its cheaper and works just as good

So the spongers with filter floss are no good?

Polyfiber huh...I need to see a pic of that stuff.

Found it:

If you can light it, Chaeto would be a good choice. I don't have that tank, so it's hard to say exactly what I would do, but I'm pretty sure what I wouldn't do. The problem I see with the rubble is that it can (and probably will) trap detritus. In the display, you can use a turkey baster to blast the detritus off the rock, the chamber is too small for that. So, you're either going to get nitrate problems, or, you've added another step it maintenance where you will need to occasionally remove the rubble and "clean" the rock and the chamber. Hopefully that explains my thinking on the subject. If not, ask and I'll try again. :)
TriggerHappyDude
Oh. I thought we already went over this. :huh: Maybe not?

Yep I remember now you saying it traps all that crud...sorry.

Thanks Jason and Scott...so how would you light the cheato, if I didn't want to hang another light from the back? What else could go in there if not cheato or with cheato? Are there some others who've got this documented in this tank?

So the spongers with filter floss are no good?

Polyfiber huh...I need to see a pic of that stuff.

i meant replace the sponges with the poly fiber :)

TriggerHappyDude
nice tank. did you get your sapphire skimmer yet? I just got mine and WOW it is quiet... any ways good luck and i can't wait to see your progress.

Nope, you're the first I know of who bought it, guess I could be 2nd!

Where did you but it from their web site or another retailer?

TriggerHappyDude
Your wish is my command:

IMG_1327.jpg

Available in the craft section at Walmart.

Cool, thanks again Scott. Now explain to me, this is to catch solid waste stuff, and is meant to be replaced every so often as it gets dirty? How much do you use in the chamber(s)?

Archived