Innovative Marine Aquariums

TriggerHappy about my Solana Reef

TriggerHappyDude

TriggerHappyDude
I thought the same thing... at first.

Goto the Misc. page of autotopoff.com and build your own double since you already have the RKE.

Upper Float Switch: $11

Lower Float Switch: $12

Bracket: $6.00

Snail Guard (if desired) $1.50

Total for a double switch $30.50.. or under $20 if you don't want a double. The $50-$55 assembled version autotopoff.com sell's has some features you don't need (break out box with power socket) since the RKE will accept the switches bare wires and control a specific channel on the PC4 based off your programming of these sensors.

I am not trying to sway your decission in either direction and I have no expeience to speak of yet as I have only just ordered my switches from autotopoff.com.

Thats what I thought, so you helped me out a lot, I was confused, I don't need the snail guard, but the rest I do, so I'll build me a double sensor and program it to the RKE! Thanks! You've been a big help there. I'll get pictures of that stuff once I get it up and running...

How big of an ATO container do most people use? I have a small stand, the Solana stand doesn't have that much, and I guess the size of the ATO container depends on how much evap is going on...?

I guess one of their standard pumps they sell too? 3.5 height? Which means it can pump up to 3.5ft high so if my container from stand is higher than that, I should find a stronger one?

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thats what I thought, so you helped me out a lot, I was confused, I don't need the snail guard, but the rest I do, so I'll build me a double sensor and program it to the RKE! Thanks! You've been a big help there. I'll get pictures of that stuff once I get it up and running...

I was confused myself for several days on this subject so no worries. I ordered my autotopoff.com stuff today, with the snail guard just to be safe since I plan to run open top, you never know if a snail might find his/her way back there. ;)

Have you filled your tank yet? I am wondering what the noise levels are like with the stock skimmer? I plan to replace it at some point but I'm going to give it a try first.

On a side note I ordered my Solana today with the espresso stand (sorry, I copied you :)) and the 20" SunPod 150 HQI. Should be here by Friday. I can't wait! This is such a beautiful AIO tank.

TriggerHappyDude
I was confused myself for several days on this subject so no worries. I ordered my autotopoff.com stuff today, with the snail guard just to be safe since I plan to run open top, you never know if a snail might find his/her way back there. ;)

Have you filled your tank yet? I am wondering what the noise levels are like with the stock skimmer? I plan to replace it at some point but I'm going to give it a try first.

On a side note I ordered my solana today with the espresso stand (sorry, I copied you :)) and the 20" SunPod 150 HQI. Should be here by Friday. I can't wait! This is such a beautiful AIO tank.

ASpec,

I haven't filled the tank yet, and I'm going to be open top as well, so I guess I need the snail guard, as I didn't think that one could find its way back there up and over the wall...thanks for the tip. I don't know the noise levels of the stock skimmer, but I've heard its noisy. I went ahead and replaced it based on feedback from all other Solana owner threads. You didn't copy me, the espresso stand is awesome, you will love it. Send me a PM when you get yours up and going and pics up, so I can follow you and we can compare notes.

So you are you getting the Sump mounting bracket or the tank mounting bracket? If its going in the back of your Solana, you'll want the sump mounting bracket, as the tank one will be too short...

I almost went with that 20" SunPod 150w MH HQI, but decided to go even more of an upgrade. It cost almost as much as the tank, but those ATI lights will be awesome! They shipped today supposedly. So hopefully I can share pics of those bad mamma jammas.

Later.

I started in 2007 with a 14g biocube. I took everything out of the center chamber ignored the water fill line and keep it totally full with water. it is also half full of liverubble and half full of chaeto. Im a big fan of using the half and half method it kinda gives you a mini refugium. I also like the live rubble for the fact it has about 100x the surface area including pores and such than the bio balls. For the first 6 months maybe i had to do regular water changes but after that I only do about a 3-5g water change every few months even though i dont need to my levels stay at zero except for 1 time I had a heater mishap and lost part of my tank. That epilogue behind here's what im wondering.

I just bought the solana myself and others are correct i do not believe you can get away with overfilling this tank so your pretty much stuck with a 8" deep 4 1/4x 4 1/4 area to play with for filtration. I will likely go with 4 inches of live rubble and 4 inches of chaeto and mount a light on the back. However I am also toying with the idea of a small 13" cpr hang on refugium but the lfs doesnt have one in stock yet for me to see if this is feasible.

I might be wrong im just speaking from my own experience but I am pro liverubble/chaeto instead of bio balls. And as long as your using that filter floss you should experience no need to clean the rubble...I havent in almost 3 years and my tank is doing great. If others disagree id like some input.

My last piece of advice and the MOST important. If you want some extremely high quality liverock unlike anything most people can get that dont live near the coast. I would check out Tampa Bay Saltwater. Read through and "The Package" is what you want to order. The costly part of this (but well worth it) is you have to be able to pick it up at the airport. The guy dives on his acreage the day he sends your rock picks out the first half and sends it it you and its ready to pick up about 8 hours after its plucked from the bay. Its all aquacultured rock that has been broken off by storms. TONS of hitchhikers some good some bad but easy to get rid of the bad ones...gorilla crabs and mantis shrimp were my only bad hitchhikers and a chopstick takes care of the crab and a spray of seltzer water will pop the mantis out of his hole instantly. The 2nd shipment comes after you have cycled your first shipment. My buddy got 3 brain corals 1 gorgonian several christmas tree worms and a couple sps acropora on his second shipment. The only downside to this rock is its gonna cost you...for your solana 34g around 80$ shipping 2x for the 2 shipments but if you can find better more alive liverock then let me know. The Package is very reasonably priced its the air freight that is a kick in the nuts.. If I get my liverock and sand before you and in place ill post a pic.

You didn't copy me, the espresso stand is awesome, you will love it. Send me a PM when you get yours up and going and pics up, so I can follow you and we can compare notes.

I'm pretty excited about getting it. Even more excited the wife is letting me put it in our living room since the stand will "match" her décor. I'll indeed let you know what I get started with it. Should be here later this week.

So you are you getting the Sump mounting bracket or the tank mounting bracket? If its going in the back of your Solana, you'll want the sump mounting bracket, as the tank one will be too short...

I ordered the 2" x 12" sump mounting bracket. I should have clarified that in my original post. I had the same thought as you just stated, the tank bracket would be too short.

I almost went with that 20" SunPod 150w MH HQI, but decided to go even more of an upgrade. It cost almost as much as the tank, but those ATI lights will be awesome! They shipped today supposedly. So hopefully I can share pics of those bad mamma jammas.

That is indeed a sweet light. I can't wait to see your pics of this thing.

Have you decided on a pump for your ATO yet? I'm still debating what I want to use. I'm thinking about using a 3 gallon bucket for the top off water depending if I can fit it into the stand.

TriggerHappyDude
I might be wrong im just speaking from my own experience but I am pro liverubble/chaeto instead of bio balls. And as long as your using that filter floss you should experience no need to clean the rubble...I havent in almost 3 years and my tank is doing great. If others disagree id like some input.

Yeah I would like to know this as well, I got scolded on here for mentioning "live rubble", but it makes sense that if you have the filter floss on top, the live rubble shouldn't get that dirty...? Experts please chime in!

Have you decided on a pump for your ATO yet? I'm still debating what I want to use. I'm thinking about using a 3 gallon bucket for the top off water depending if I can fit it into the stand.

Well, since I switched out the stock skimmer for the Sapphire Aquatics skimmer, I have that extra pump, which is rated at 160 GPH, and 5.5 height, so I figured I'd try that one out first, before buying a new one. I've also just gone to Target and got a 12 QT rubbermaid, clear plastic container with lid, thats 3 gallons, to use as my ATO water holder...sound good?

Well, since I switched out the stock skimmer for the Sapphire Aquatics skimmer, I have that extra pump, which is rated at 160 GPH, and 5.5 height, so I figured I'd try that one out first, before buying a new one. I've also just gone to Target and got a 12 QT rubbermaid, clear plastic container with lid, thats 3 gallons, to use as my ATO water holder...sound good?

That sounds like it should work perfectly. Will the rubbermaid fit into the stand?

Forgot to ask you earlier, will the Sapphire Aquatics fit with no modification to the sump area/skimmer? I see people are having to made some minnor mods to get the Tunze 9002 to work.

Thx

Yeah I would like to know this as well, I got scolded on here for mentioning "live rubble", but it makes sense that if you have the filter floss on top, the live rubble shouldn't get that dirty...? Experts please chime in!

Rubble has the same potential to contribute to nitrate problemsas bio-balls/ceramic rings. True, water going through the floss first might cut down on the potential. But, the small amount you can fit in that chamber isn't such a huge benefit that the risk is worth the reward. Put the right amount of LR in the display and you don't need it in your filter chamber. JMHO

TriggerHappyDude
Rubble has the same potential to contribute to nitrate problemsas bio-balls/ceramic rings. True, water going through the floss first might cut down on the potential. But, the small amount you can fit in that chamber isn't such a huge benefit that the risk is worth the reward. Put the right amount of LR in the display and you don't need it in your filter chamber. JMHO

Even a better point! Scott, here is how I was envisioning what I am going to put in my middle chamber of my Solana tank; from top to bottom...

• 1"-2" of filter floss
  • 3"-5" of cheato
  • 1 small bag of ChemiPure
  • 1 small bag of Purigen
  • 1 small bag of SeaGel

Is that a good plan?

Even a better point! Scott, here is how I was envisioning what I am going to put in my middle chamber of my Solana tank; from top to bottom...

• 1"-2" of filter floss
  • 3"-5" of cheato
  • 1 small bag of ChemiPure
  • 1 small bag of Purigen
  • 1 small bag of SeaGel

Is that a good plan?

I'm not sure the SeaGel add anything that Chemi-Pure Elite wouldn't take care of. I'd just got with Chemi-Pure Elite and Purigen if you really want to use both.

TriggerHappyDude
I'm not sure the SeaGel add anything that Chemi-Pure Elite wouldn't take care of. I'd just got with Chemi-Pure Elite and Purigen if you really want to use both.

Ok, I already purchased all 3 though. From another recommendation. Would it hurt to have all 3?

So the order I plan to stack them in, seems ok to you?

TriggerHappyDude

Also, its getting close to the time where I'm going to order my live rock and substrate...

How much live rock and substrate / per gallon is the rule?

I guess for a brand new tank, I'd want to cycle the tank with LR?

I was reading this page over on Tampa Bay Saltwater, and do I really need to do all this with the LR and water for it to cycle, or is this just THEIR method?

http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com/thepackage/setup.html

Is there a thread going with help on first putting the water in and setting up the LR etc?

Also, its getting close to the time where I'm going to order my live rock and substrate...

I was reading this page over on Tampa Bay Saltwater, and do I really need to do all this with the LR and water for it to cycle, or is this just THEIR method?

Is there a thread going with help on first putting the water in and setting up the LR etc?

To answer your first question 1 pound per livesand per gallon generally unless your planning a deep sand bed for a different setup(harder to keep clean imo). and 1.5 to 2lbs of liverock per gallon. Richard picks out the rock for the specific tank. In the comments section write solana 34g and put these measurements into the comments section as well 19" deep 19.5" side to side and 15.75" front to back. For the 2nd question the answer is yes...follow the directions to the T.

Dont think of it as cycling your tank....the rock that comes also has purple blue and yellow sponges on it as well as a ton of plant and corraline growth. You will need to keep your ammonia down and with the solana that we own and the point to his method is to keep everything alive on your rock. This isnt like LFS rock its gonna come to you straight out of his ocean plot and be at your airport within approx 8 hours. Sponges almost never survive even with this fast of a transport so likely the only die off you will experience are gonna be from the sponges.....although my buddy had a couple yellow and something called a chicken liver sponge live. Keeping the ammonia below 1 is the key. my buddy did 15 gallon water changes in a 75g for 4 days keeping his ammonia no higher than .5 trying to keep it in the .25 range and the first batch was cycled in 4 days. Im not sure how long the 2nd batch took him to cycle but im sure it wasnt much longer. After both are cycled he let it set for 2 weeks monitoring levels before he introduced things from his aquapod. After a year his tank looks fantastic and like me in my biocube rarely needs to do water changes. The rock is gonna take care of your water in the long run thats why its best to take your time and follow the instructions. You will have alot less trouble and a far happier tank in the long run.

Keep in mind. This liverock is nothing like what is available to people like me in the midwestern LFS. The stuff I got for my first biocube had corraline and hair algae on it and smellled really bad. It took 2 weeks to cycle and I didnt do nearly as many water changes as I should have. The stuff from Tampa likely wont smell at all. If anything smells it will probably be a dead/dying sponge and you can just scrub that off before putting it in the tank. My buddy's rock didnt smell at all. Definitely let the tank set for a few weeks after your 2nd shipment so the CUC can get established. you want your peppermint shrimp to not be skitish to fish so it can eat up the glass anenomes or aptasia(same thing).

The concern I had was with the critter pack on the 2nd shipment. Ive heard horrible stories about cucumbers nuking tanks and the fact that some species can get up to 18-24" long. These are gulf tiger tails and do not get very large at all. Im very impressed with their ability to keep my friends sand clean. I would almost dare say these are the best sand stirrers/cleaners you can get. These critters have a few ways of defending themselves and only as a final result will they "cuke nuke" but my friend has never had a problem with that and Richard said hes never had a complaint or a problem reported to him about his cukes. Your likely to get some fish in with the liverock as well I forgot to mention in my other post my buddy had a goby and some other kind of fish ive never seen come in his 2nd liverock shipment. The goby paired up with the pistol shrimp he got in his first shipment and now share a hole under a rock.

Last but not least for now since this post is turning into a novel. I recommend buying a 16oz bottle of purple up and if you plan on having alot of corals i use a mixture of DT's live phytoplankton and something called "Reef Chili" only a few online places sell it but its a great mixture of coral food. The DT's is available at almost any LFS.

Good luck...I know you are as excited as I am about this tank.

TriggerHappyDude
That sounds like it should work perfectly. Will the rubbermaid fit into the stand?

Forgot to ask you earlier, will the Sapphire Aquatics fit with no modification to the sump area/skimmer? I see people are having to made some minnor mods to get the Tunze 9002 to work.

Thx

Aspec,

The 12qt Rubbermaid container does fit in the stand, I have the shelf 50/50 in there and it fits on the bottom, of course with nothing attached or setup, I have no clue if I'm going to keep it there, but it will stay in the stand regardless...I don't want a messy tank/stand.

As far as the Sapphire skimmer, it fits beautifully, look back at some of the pictures in this thread, you'll see it fits like a charm, it was MADE for this tank, in compartment #1.

TriggerHappyDude

Got a couple more goodies today...

The thermometer for the water changes and salt mixes...

IMG_6505.jpg

And until I get a ReefKeeper Elite to give me tank temps, this one will have to do...

IMG_6507.jpg

Just in case you might think im over selling tampa bay saltwater here is a thread showing everything setup in package #2. I saw this guys package #1 it was impressive enough but package 2......well ill just let this speak for itself...none of this was bought at a LFS or ordered...everything in this tank came in package 2.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=1582082

Also consider checking out Pacific East Aquaculture. They are a sponsor of my local reef club, as they are too many reef clubs... they started using a new supplier for LR and this stuff looks amazing. I am about to order 20 or so lbs of this to supplement my current rock. They also have arranged special prices for next day shipping with UPS... something like 30-40% off published rates.

http://www.drmaccorals.com/Detail.aspx?ID=...Id%3d5%23T+2001

Just a suggestion. I don't have any direct experience with PEA yet, but the times I've called and talked to them they have been very friendly and many of my local reef club guys that have ordered from them say it's a first class operation/experience.

TriggerHappyDude
Just in case you might think im over selling tampa bay saltwater here is a thread showing everything setup in package #2. I saw this guys package #1 it was impressive enough but package 2......well ill just let this speak for itself...none of this was bought at a LFS or ordered...everything in this tank came in package 2.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=1582082

Wow, TBS really does sell "live rock"...wow...that thread, and some others in that forum are just down right amazing once you get that second shipment! WOW. WOW. WOW. is all I can say...

Like this guys 2nd shipment, check this out...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=1556366

WOW.

I guess thats what I need to do, as a noob who doesn't even know what they like/want, this would be a good start for someone like myself, with no clue on what livestock to purchase. Why not this!?

What kind of sand is it they ship, I kind of wanted to pick my own, but sounds like they give you what you need?

TriggerHappyDude
Damn I wish I woulda read this thread 2 weeks ago :(

Two weeks ago we weren't talking about the Live Rock yet, as I wasn't getting prepared for that!

You should have waited, 2 more weeks to purchase your LR is what you mean? ;)

Its ok...you will still have a cool tank. No doubts.

I just want to say, there are no "rules" when it comes to sand and rock. Sand will depend on how deep of a sand bed you want, I recommend 1-1.5 inches in a nano. You can't go by pounds/gallons because not all tanks are created equal. You need the dimensions of your tank, then you can ballpark estimate how many pounds of sand you need based on how deep you want your sand bed.

As a general guideline, you want 1-1.5 pounds/gallon Live Rock. But again, not all tanks are created equal so you may have to adjust based on how you want your aquascape to look. Porosity of the rock is much more important than just weight.

TriggerHappyDude
I just want to say, there are no "rules" when it comes to sand and rock. Sand will depend on how deep of a sand bed you want, I recommend 1-1.5 inches in a nano. You can't go by pounds/gallons because not all tanks are created equal. You need the dimensions of your tank, then you can ballpark estimate how many pounds of sand you need based on how deep you want your sand bed.

As a general guideline, you want 1-1.5 pounds/gallon Live Rock. But again, not all tanks are created equal so you may have to adjust based on how you want your aquascape to look. Porosity of the rock is much more important than just weight.

Ok Scott, so help me figure out what I need/might want for mine...

I own a Solana, which is roughly 19 1/2" across, 19 1/2" deep and 15 1/2" front to back.

I'd say I like about 1" deep sand bed. And as for LR, I would like some room for fish to swim, as it will be a mixed tank, but don't really know how to give a pound estimate of what I want?

Archived