ReefCleaners.org

TriggerHappy about my Solana Reef

TriggerHappyDude

Cool, thanks again Scott. Now explain to me, this is to catch solid waste stuff, and is meant to be replaced every so often as it gets dirty? How much do you use in the chamber(s)?

Depending on how heavy I'm feeding, I replace it 1-2X per week. That big bag only costs 3-4 dollars. It is mechanical filtration that removes particulate matter from the water column. It basically takes the place of sponges. Use a handful or however much necessary to get all the water passing through your chambers to pass through the filter floss.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TriggerHappyDude
To light up your cheato Stevie T (inTank) sells submersible led lights that look cool. You should check them out.

Cool got a quick link, if no I can search or ask him about them. Thanks for the info!

Depending on how heavy I'm feeding, I replace it 1-2X per week. That big bag only costs 3-4 dollars. It is mechanical filtration that removes particulate matter from the water column. It basically takes the place of sponges. Use a handful or however much necessary to get all the water passing through your chambers to pass through the filter floss.

Wow, thats cheap stuff, I'll be in Wal-Mart this weekend, will buy a few bags. Thanks for the explanation.

I just got the submersible lights from inTank to light up chaeto in the prototype AP24 media basket. Unfortunately, I haven't found any chaeto locally yet to tell you how it works.

Here's a link to the page with the submersible lights. http://shop.mediabaskets.com/category.sc?categoryId=8

Thing is, with your tank, since the back is clear, you could mount a light on the back to light the chaeto through the glass.

Scott, there is a place in Riverside, CA that sells chaeto, i think? any ways they are called mystic reef, i have their number so you can give them a call to see if they have any. PM me if you do! sorry for the hijack.

TriggerHappyDude
I just got the submersible lights from inTank to light up chaeto in the prototype AP24 media basket. Unfortunately, I haven't found any chaeto locally yet to tell you how it works.

Here's a link to the page with the submersible lights. http://shop.mediabaskets.com/category.sc?categoryId=8

Thing is, with your tank, since the back is clear, you could mount a light on the back to light the chaeto through the glass.

So for the back there, I'd just need ONE set of these lights right?

I'm trying to stay away from cluttering up the tank, so the light in the back wouldn't be as clean in my opinion? You can kind of see my tank from the sides...the way its sitting in the room vs. the door you come in. Are there some better LED lights than these? Or if there is a cool, non cluttery light for the back I'd check it out too.

TriggerHappyDude
Scott, there is a place in Riverside, CA that sells chaeto, i think? any ways they are called mystic reef, i have their number so you can give them a call to see if they have any. PM me if you do! sorry for the hijack.

No hijack, its all good. I really appreciate you all helping me out! Really.

So here's what I'm looking at buying online...as my first bulk purchase to get me ready to start.

• Sapphire Aquatics Nano Skimmer for Solana
  • EcoTech MP40w
  • Sunpod MH HQI 150w or 250w
  • RO/DI Unit

Do you think the Tunze 9002 Skimmer with inTank's Solana Tunze Cup is the BEST choice over the Sappire Aquatics new Solana skimmer?

Should I buy an RO/DI or just an RO unit? Whats the differences?

Do you all think a media reactor is necessary? If so where would it go in the back?

http://sapphireaquatics.com/onlinestore/in...p;products_id=9

TriggerHappyDude
nice tank. did you get your sapphire skimmer yet? I just got mine and WOW it is quiet... any ways good luck and i can't wait to see your progress.

pprwngs,

I'm really curious what made you choose the Sapphire over the Tunze 9002?

pprwngs,

I'm really curious what made you choose the Sapphire over the Tunze 9002?

for me it was that I had their previous nc24 model and loved it. i also heard from buyers of the new nc24 model which is the same as this one how quiet it was. and did not need to buy the new cup so it would fit in chamber 1. and also it was about $50 cheaper and it helps a small business from the usa and with the way our economy is i wanted to help out one of us...

TriggerHappyDude
for me it was that I had their previous nc24 model and loved it. i also heard from buyers of the new nc24 model which is the same as this one how quiet it was. and did not need to buy the new cup so it would fit in chamber 1. and also it was about $50 cheaper and it helps a small business from the usa and with the way our economy is i wanted to help out one of us...

All viable reasons. I've decided to get this one as well, I like the fact it fits in chamber 1 with NO MODS.

Do you still put your heater in the same place as where the Solana documentation showed? (Chamber 1, top left? I think?) What have you done with the other 2 chambers?

How many days have you had the skimmer, still loving it? Doing better than stock?

All viable reasons. I've decided to get this one as well, I like the fact it fits in chamber 1 with NO MODS.

Do you still put your heater in the same place as where the Solana documentation showed? (Chamber 1, top left? I think?) What have you done with the other 2 chambers?

How many days have you had the skimmer, still loving it? Doing better than stock?

Yep, the heater still goes in the same place. So far for the 2nd chamber has a filter pad & chemi-pure, but I plan to add chaeto and a LED light. And the 3rd is stock and I'm ordering the Tunze Osmilator for ATO.

I have only had my skimmer a couple of days so it's breaking in, but I am still pleased with it and if its anything like the old one I had I'll love it. I never used the stock because when I turned it on I turned it off, too freakin' loud.

Jim

TriggerHappyDude

Ok, so that is a good template for me to plan my tank on...

1st Chamber - Sapphire Aquatics Solana Skimmer

2nd Chamber - That Wal-Mart polyester fiber fil and cheato and submersible LED lights.

3rd Chamber - Osmolator and ATO

Only problem is I don't know much about any of them! Ha! I'm honest. I can figure out the skimmer, seems pretty easy. Was it the pump to the skimmer that was loud or the skimmer itself? Could the pump not be switched out for a quieter one if that was the loud culprit?

And probably the bio chamber, where I would probably just substitute the current blue and black sponges/pads with that Wal-Mart Fiber? Then put the cheato down where the bio balls were or where the carbon was supposed to go?

The last chamber where the Osmolator and ATO are setup is all new to me...and what about a reactor do I need that as well? I guess I'd have to see how you and others set this up and learn more about the role this stuff plays in the tank.

Keep me up to date, and visuals help a lot, as you tweak your tank! Thanks.

Also, I still need to decide on my LIGHTS! I can't believe I'm this undecided.

I really like the SunPod and want a 10K light, as I'm a big fan of the crisp white light.

But I'm starting to like more and more the hanging lights that are modern looking like the Aqua Medic, Guesemann, or ATI look...the Aqua Medic even mentions in the descriptions "CRISP WHITE" light.

* 250W of intense "HQI" double ended metal halide light is included, your choice of crisp white 10,000K or blue/white 20,000K XDE.

http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageA...amp;ProdID=1283

I don't mind the SunPod and its look when using the legs on the tank, and I'm not sure the hanging lights are the best solution, as I don't know where the power cable will go? Etc...but I like the hanging look.

The disco ball pendant is a option as well...I'm just waivering too much.

I found an example of someone with a Solana using the ATI 24" fixture. Its below.

Could you imagine how sweet this would look hanging above our Solana?

What kind of lighting are the ATI's are they T5?

ATISOLANA.jpg

Or even better, when hung up like this...(Where is the power cable?)

3088587910_f7c5cdb3f2.jpg

3087749861_2c53797a73.jpg

TriggerHappyDude
Trigger.. Yes that would be the light.

Are those the BEST LED submersible lights you've seen?

I would like to see some others...any suggestions?

Are those the BEST LED submersible lights you've seen?

I would like to see some others...any suggestions?

Here's what I was trying to say before: I like StevieT and would say nothing to take business from him. But, those lights are really good for chambers that cannot be lit any other way. Because your chamber is clear in the back, you have the ability to mount a bigger, brighter light on the outside of the tank that will grow your chaeto.

TriggerHappyDude
ill tank man....

That last picture is not my tank, not even close, just found someone with an ATI light fixture and a Solana.

I hope mine is that cool one day!

Here's what I was trying to say before: I like StevieT and would say nothing to take business from him. But, those lights are really good for chambers that cannot be lit any other way. Because your chamber is clear in the back, you have the ability to mount a bigger, brighter light on the outside of the tank that will grow your chaeto.

Yeah I gotcha there Scott, I'm just not sure I want a bigger light mounted on the back, not sure how much room I'll have back there anyway. Again, I'm going for the uber tidy, uber clean looking tank, so all the wires and clutter I'm trying to avoid. If the LED's from Stevie will work well enough and I don't have to have a big ole light mounted in the back, cool, but if someone can show me some alternatives, such as other submersible lights, or a Solana with some kind of mounted light that isn't an eye sore, I'd love to see them.

TriggerHappyDude

Ok, so those of you following me, I've completed milestone 1; the "BIG" purchases...

1. Solana 34gallon Tank & Stand
  2. VorTech MP40w Powerhead/Pump
  3. Sapphire Aquatics Nano Skimmer made for the Solana
  4. 24" ATI 4x24w Powermodule (Bulbs still being decided on)

I'm thinking, 3 ATI Aquablues and a Fiji Purple. The Aquablues are ice white with a slight amount of blue. With the slight purple of the fiju lamp it should be looking like 10K halide with good actinics running.

On to the next steps...

So now I'm ready for the advice on moving on to milestone 2; the "Smaller" purchases and filling the tank...

I need help with getting my check list together of smaller purchase for the tank to prepare to put water in it.

I'll just list a few items that come to mind, and need your help filling in the missing parts! I would also like recommendations on these items I'm listing; like which brands are best and what you use and why. Keep in mind all this equipment will be for my Solana 34 gallon, 20x20x20 tank.

1. Heater
  2. Replace Stock Return Pump?
  3. Hydrometer/Refractometer
  4. Thermometer
  5. Cleaning Magnets and Scrapers
  6. Glass Cleaner
  7. Water Test Kits
  8. Salt Mix
  9. RO/DI Units
  10. Live Rock
  11. Substrate/Sand
  12. Bio/Refuge Components in 2nd Chamber (Cheato, Submersible LED lights, etc)
  13. Tunze Osmilator for ATO
  14. ATO equipment
  15. Controllers/Dosers

I'm just trying to gather up all the equipment I'll need before getting started, some of this stuff can wait till I get my tank cycled and going; like the controller and ato etc...Thank you!

1. Heater - Stealth 150W
  2. Replace Stock Return Pump? - keep it add an eductor
  3. Hydrometer/Refractometer - Marine Depot Refractometer
  4. Thermometer - either a glass therm or a nice digital not the "cheap" kind
  5. Cleaning Magnets and Scrapers - Super Nimble Nano
  6. Glass Cleaner - i use something from petco
  7. Water Test Kits - API
  8. Salt Mix - H2Ocean
  9. RO/DI Units - bulkreefsupply.com
  10. Live Rock - I hear sealife inc is awesome i cant afford the cost in shpping
  11. Substrate/Sand - also sealife inc
  12. Bio/Refuge Components in 2nd Chamber (Cheato, Submersible LED lights, etc) - yep
  13. Tunze Osmilator for ATO - also check out autotopoff.com
  14. ATO equipment - ^^^
  15. Controllers/Dosers - ACJr great therm too

TriggerHappyDude

Thanks Man. I guess a lot of the smaller stuff I need to just trial and error it to my liking too.

But these suggestions are great starts, there is no right or wrong answer, like said in the T5 thread, personal preference.

TriggerHappyDude

Lookie Lookie what I got in the mail yesterday...

IMG_6621.jpg

IMG_6623.jpg

Skimmer should be here soon too, and then my ATI Lights, its coming together slow and surely.

Archived