Top Shelf Aquatics

Plainrt's breeder build.Version 2.The waste of good water

plainrt

Yeah im glad i kept with it.It was all worth it.Im getting way better growth then i did in my cube.Its nice to look at stuff and see it growing away in this tank unlike my cube.Im not sure what deal was in that tank.My acans have so many babies on right now.Its nuts!!!! I may try out a skimmer on this tank now thanks to a great company that sent me a pm today saying how much they liked the setup........I hope we can work with each other on that :}

thanks again

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 months ago or so at start when added the new rock

100_1061.jpg

fts from today.....what you think?

100_1218.jpg

plainrt,

the tank looks great. big improvements in 2 months. wish i could say the same about my tank.

Thanks.I like looking at them pics.Its come along ways in only 2 months.I cant wait for a year or so to go by.I like looking at the green pocillopora that is in the center under my ato on backwall.In first pic it was a little dinky frag and now is decent size.I dont think its bad for no skimmer,heavy bioload,little filter setup and not playing with chemicals etc everyday. :}

I voted for you over at RC. I have to say that all the tanks were nice but I felt not up to NTOTM standards unlike yours that was really nice and stood out.

Good luck

-jds

Tank truely looks amazing. Wish I could get my corals to grow like yours.

Jon

Thanks.I wasnt getting much growth in my 14 gal either even with the sunpod over it.I dont know what was up with that tank.This one started taking off after the first few weeks and now just suprises me everytime i look in it.

I voted for you over at RC. I have to say that all the tanks were nice but I felt not up to NTOTM standards unlike yours that was really nice and stood out.

Good luck

-jds

Thanks.Im not sure mine is up to it yet but just put on there to see.I think it needs to mature more really.Lol you should send me your clowns ;) jk well maybe not......

Great looking tank. How do you like the current subcurrent filter? I'm setting up a 30 long and thinking about using one in conjunction with a DSB. Also what is your maintenance routine?

Thanks

nanoreef11

I have been having second thoughts on my tank this last week or so. I either want to do an AIO 20 Long or even a 30/40 breeder AIO. I really like the idea of keeping everything AIO because I will be moving to Long Beach at the end of the summer and I think it makes it easier to move. What input do you have on what I should do with my 14 gallon and whether or not I should upgrade?

Great looking tank. How do you like the current subcurrent filter? I'm setting up a 30 long and thinking about using one in conjunction with a DSB. Also what is your maintenance routine?

Thanks

Thanks,I like the subcurrent but a auto top off is a must.Water level has to be perfect for it to work 100% It also looks great.Hmm.....about all i do is clean glass maybe every 3 days and do a 5 gal water change every week or two.I keep it simple and dont like to mess with chemicals if dont have to.

I have been having second thoughts on my tank this last week or so. I either want to do an AIO 20 Long or even a 30/40 breeder AIO. I really like the idea of keeping everything AIO because I will be moving to Long Beach at the end of the summer and I think it makes it easier to move. What input do you have on what I should do with my 14 gallon and whether or not I should upgrade?

I would do a breeder.The wide tank is so nice to work with.The 20 longs are nice too if wanna stay little smaller.I like how my setup runs and couldnt be any more simple to keep up.Im gonna add a skimmer now as a company made me a good offer that i couldnt pass up to test one out for them on my tank.Will see how tank does with a skimmer.Honestly i miss my cube but the breeder is alot more fun :} I would say skip doing anything else into the cube and put into a bigger tank if thats what really want.

Great tank man, I love the FTS comparison. Everything looks real good..

Thanks Yeah in two months has come a long way.

Wow dude tank is AWESOME!

Thanks glad you checked it out kraylen.Only if had some cool fish lol.

nanoreef11
I would do a breeder.The wide tank is so nice to work with.The 20 longs are nice too if wanna stay little smaller.I like how my setup runs and couldnt be any more simple to keep up.Im gonna add a skimmer now as a company made me a good offer that i couldnt pass up to test one out for them on my tank.Will see how tank does with a skimmer.Honestly i miss my cube but the breeder is alot more fun :} I would say skip doing anything else into the cube and put into a bigger tank if thats what really want.

The only thing holding me back is the fact that I will be moving to Long Beach at the end of summer and I don't know if I will have the funds to support a 30/40 gallon breeder. Would an AIO be too much work (siliconing all of the pieces in)? Is it best to do a sump?

The only thing holding me back is the fact that I will be moving to Long Beach at the end of summer and I don't know if I will have the funds to support a 30/40 gallon breeder. Would an AIO be too much work (siliconing all of the pieces in)? Is it best to do a sump?

You could do something like im doing filter wise.Im just using a current subcurrent filter,two koralia 2s.I place floss and chemipure in the subcurrent filter.Its a very simple setup that dont cost much to do and takes up less room then a aio.And i can say this filter setup is working good enough as can see by the pics.I always like to keep my tanks simple.The thing that will cost you the most for a breeder is the lighting.

Est Cost to do my 30b without any live stock

30b tank 90

stand 25

light fixture 200

bulbs 80

koralia 2s 70

subcurrent 25

rena heater 35

ato 80

fan 30

glass top 30

thermo 10

Light brackets and hanging kit 25

So i spend about 700 on getting the 30b ready for livestock.That was finding some deals on things also like the light and stand.Just to give idea of cost.

No got stand from a local.Thing was like new also.We have made deals in past and knew i needed one so ended up with deal on it.If i didnt find one cheap i was gonna make one.I still might make one as i hate black and would like a more modern looking stand when move in new house.

Im digging this tank, I think I might start a 30 breeder hunt at all the LFS now to do something similar. B)

Voted for ya, tank looks great :)

Thanks im glad people like it other then me :}

Im digging this tank, I think I might start a 30 breeder hunt at all the LFS now to do something similar. B)

Thanks.You will like a breeder tank.Very nice to work with.Im happy i went with the 30b.Good luck and look forward to seeing you get one going.Im always here to answer ?s if have any.

pismo_reefer

reading this thread gives me a whole new confidence to go natural....your tank is pimp plain'... :D

Thanks yeah its been working great with the little filter setup.Just water changes seems to be doing the trick.Im gonna be testing a new skimmer from Sapphire Aquatics when it gets here cause i just cant say no to a offer like that.I will see how tank does with it.Dont get me wrong i think this tank setup could work without one and i enjoy it without one.

Your reef is beautiful! You got my vote too, it was my favorite! fingers crossed for you fingerscrossed

Thanks it nice when others like it as much as i do.

Well some of the not so hard work has paid off i think as i got ntotm for this month on Reef Central :happydance:

Archived