Pod Your Reef

Plainrt's breeder build.Version 2.The waste of good water

plainrt

A quick run down of the specs on this.I started with a 14 gal biocube in dec of 08 and got hooked on the hobby.I modded and stocked my cube very heavy with lps some soft corals a crocea and rbta under a 70mh sunpod with great results.I then needed more space for my rbta as i was getting little scared that it would soon be able to take out anything in tank with little more growth.So then came the 30 breeder build.

40 gal breeder

Blackoceanicstand

tek 6 bulb t5 setup

vortech mp20

1 current subcurrent filter running filter floss and little chemi pure

40 ish lbs live rock

80 lbs or so live sand.

All snail cuc

2 false percs one black and one reg

yellow watchman

christmas wrasse

yellow wrasse

bi color blenny

lots of lps and a few soft corals and sps

I plan to try and run this tank as basic as i can.No sump,big filters etc.I wanna see if i can keep a stable simple setup like this.I plan to add a clam to this tank in few months when im sure its nice and stable.I gave away my crocea out of my cube to a local just cause didnt wanna chance doing any harm to it in the transfer process.

Wish me luck

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sweet, good luck with the move. 30 breeders are pimp.

Thanks. i really like the size alot.I wanted a tank i could work in and feed lps with ease.This does the job and i wouldnt even have to worry about rolling up my sleeve when reaching in :D

Omg I have that stand!

I like the stand but really hate black wood as i think it looks cheap and tacky.I think i will build a new stand and stain to match rest of our stuff one day when summer comes around and can work out side to cut wood without making mess all over.

Ill get pics up tomorrow when get light hung up etc.The way im hanging the light is my favorite part :}

Yeah im not sure.......I hope holds up.I know a local that his 30 breeder just cracked out of no where.I dont think most of the 40 breeders have them either.

well i got my current light today and just dont like some things.Im gonna use the good old fish need it 150 pendant now.On another note i got my rena smart heater today and like the look of it alot.It blends in well next to the subcurrent filter well like i wanted

well after issues with the tank of a current light i decided im not gonna use it.I had a new fishneed it pendant that im gonna give a shot.I got all filled up today with water and new sand now just waiting on temps to steady to put new rock in.I also found a rena smart heater today at local store.I was gonna order one oneline as i like the look and features of it.Hope it can hold up.

100_0924.jpg

100_0923.jpg

100_0918.jpg

I thought i would post pics of the rock in the tank.I will be putting my rock from my cube into the other side leaving a valley in middle.This will be around 35 lbs lr then which is all i want to use as i want some sandbed in this tank which i missed not having in the cube.I want to stock alot of lps in sandbed.

100_0948.jpg

100_0949.jpg

100_0946.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

so im thinking about getting rid of the fishneedit 150 pendant.Im not sure im happy with it and i found a great deal on a 36inch current sundial 4x39 t5 setup.I like the shimmer of halide but the evap on this tank sucks with the current subcurrent filter.It always has to be just perfect to work proper.Im not sure about this tank now as im already starting to regret setting this up to replace the simple as can be cube lol.

so all in all do you think i would be better off picking up the sundial t5s and dumping off the fishneed it setup?Any thoughts would be great

thanks

You may have read my comments on this elsewhere and if so, I apologize in advance for being repetitive.

I recently switched from a 150w MH w/Phoenix 14k bulb, to a 4x24w T5HO fixture.

I missed the shimmer the first day, and after that I didn't even notice it.

Last week I put the old MH over the tank for a photo shoot experiment, and was really struck by how much nicer the T5HO brought out the colors in my corals, esp reds, oranges, pinks, and yellows.

I've said it in other places, I love my T5HO and never plan on going back.

That's me though.

Why don't you tell us what it is that's bugging you about the Fishneedit MH, as well as the Current MH/PC combo fixture before it so we can do a better job of advising you whether a Sundial fixture would be a good move for you.

I think you'd be better off in THIS tank with the T5 system.

Your MH doesn't look like it lights up the tank very well. It may be the pic but the part you are leaving empty - just below the light seems to be the brightest and the far side of the rock actually looks dark.

The tank is relatively shallow and the T5's would have no problem illuminating all the way to the bottom and probably give you better coverage from end zone to end zone.

T5's run cooler and give you more color control. I had MH on my BC29 - I think the light you have would be perfect for your AP or a similar tank, but when I went to my 40 BDR - I went with a T5 fixture and do not regret it all. I debated long and hard about dual 150's or the T5's and after doing my own research - back in the day before Weetie's T5 info thread - I decided to give the T5's a shot. To be honest I doubt that I'll ever go back to MH unless I wind up with a system that is much deaper.

If you stick with your fixture - I would say get one more so you can light the tank better.

You may have read my comments on this elsewhere and if so, I apologize in advance for being repetitive.

I recently switched from a 150w MH w/Phoenix 14k bulb, to a 4x24w T5HO fixture.

I missed the shimmer the first day, and after that I didn't even notice it.

Last week I put the old MH over the tank for a photo shoot experiment, and was really struck by how much nicer the T5HO brought out the colors in my corals, esp reds, oranges, pinks, and yellows.

I've said it in other places, I love my T5HO and never plan on going back.

That's me though.

Why don't you tell us what it is that's bugging you about the Fishneedit MH, as well as the Current MH/PC combo fixture before it so we can do a better job of advising you whether a Sundial fixture would be a good move for you.

Ok i dont like the reflector in the fish need it.They say working on a replacemnet for the 150 and 70 versions.I modded it a bit but still have spots i think from the reflector.The current mh/pc.... i sold cause I didnt feel safe hanging it the way i hung the fishneedit.The current one was 15lbs.dont sound like alot till have hanging over tank.I like how the pendant looks over tank but just not sure about it right now.

How much for the FNI light? :happy:

If sell i would ask 100 + shipping for people i like with 3 bulbs.the stock 14k fni,9+ old phoenix 14k and a 5-6 month old aquaconnect performance 14k.

Archived