SaltCritters.com

16 gallon Coldwater

Jamie

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tank looks great as always, man those nems looks awesome. Hey how fast do they grow for you? How tough would you consider them? What and how often do you feed them?

The growth question is a hard one. In my experience, isolating a berry will cause it to split a lot, like into 3-6 little ones. But then they just sort of sit there, growing slowly. I haven't witnessed much spreading, but some have made their way onto new rocks. They seem much less mobile than true anemones (my elegants are always on the move) they usually only move when they split. They're really tough, don't seem to mind a little nitrate, and they managed to survive .25 ammonia when this tank was just starting. Just feed them a lot! I feed mine rotifers and mysis (one cube of each) every day, and this seems to be sufficient. I used to feed cyclops, but I ran out, and the berries still seemed happy, so I just never started again. Still, if your filter can handle it, feed them more often. A continuous drip would be ideal, but that would make filtration a challenge. I think Steve Weast has an automated feeder that feeds his four times per day, and turns his filter on between feedings, but don't quote me on that.

• 4 weeks later...

Been awhile since pictures, tank is still the same. I've been having terrible, cyano, so I've scaled back feedings to every other day. Today I got out as much cyano as I could, and took some pics.

fts

DSC_0077.jpg

top down (cyano!)

DSC_0162-1.jpg

anemones

DSC_0094-1.jpg

DSC_0116-1.jpg

DSC_0149-1.jpg

DSC_0059-1.jpg

jim

DSC_0126-1.jpg

that's all for now! (going to the beach next weekend, and there's a low tide!!!)

Eek cyano, I hate the stuff, don't really have that problem in my tank but I probably will.

Ya get some cool stuff, maybe a brittle star? They are cool don't know about how they do in an aquarium though.

I've got some cyano too.. :mellow:

Your tank looks great nevertheless! Looks quite natural. Hope you get some good stuff from the beach!

you should have seen it before. Literally every surface was covered. It had climbed up the glass 2 or 3 inches. In some places on the rocks the layer of jelly was over an inch thick. :o It was completely disgusting.

How often are you feeding? Every other day is working great for me, but the cyano is still here. <_<

Eek cyano, I hate the stuff, don't really have that problem in my tank but I probably will.

Ya get some cool stuff, maybe a brittle star? They are cool don't know about how they do in an aquarium though.

I'd love a brittle star, but I've never seen one. Now that it's winter, the low tides come at night, so I should be able to find some cool nocturnal critters. There are some cool shrimp (look kinda like pistol shrimp, but aren't) that I found last winter - I'm hoping to get some of those.

Cool! I have seen brittle stars B)

I am going up to my cabin this winter, my dad says find when the tide is the lowest and thats when we will go. There is some crazy stuff we find. From dead anglers to octopus its awesome.

Ya we have tide charts haha

Ya the tide pools I have are pretty amazing. But since I am in the sound I don't get the coolest stuff that is out on the coast.

meh, maybe I'll set one up after a couple years in college, then you can send me all your stuff when you have to take yours down. :P

I'm still holding out for my dream of moving to Bamfield, Canada, and setting up a giant flow-through tank. Either that, or doing the same, on, like Fiji, but I think Bamfield has *slightly* cheaper real estate.

Haha sounds like a plan. Its going to be a bummer taking down all of my tanks, oh well.

Yea I want to set one up at my cabin. I probably could pretty easily. The animals like climbing in things though, might annoy everything haha. I am thinking just a big pump and one of the black tubs with a drain. You will envy me mwuhaha

I am willing to accept that if I can live in Australia. It's only, like, been my life goal since I was two.

HAHA i liv in austraila

it's the best but a bit hot(42degrees c,about 100degrees f)

not sure on that last temp

but u get the point it's really hot

oh and really nice tabk

i would start 1 but i would need a huge chiller

I could probably mail youa chiton and some snails/hermits. But I would need to collect them first. So later this winter haha

Haha sounds like a plan. Its going to be a bummer taking down all of my tanks, oh well.

Yea I want to set one up at my cabin. I probably could pretty easily. The animals like climbing in things though, might annoy everything haha. I am thinking just a big pump and one of the black tubs with a drain. You will envy me mwuhaha

yes, yes I will. Almost as much as this guy:

HAHA i liv in austraila

it's the best but a bit hot(42degrees c,about 100degrees f)

not sure on that last temp

but u get the point it's really hot

oh and really nice tabk

i would start 1 but i would need a huge chiller

Let it be said that I envy you. I bet, though, that there are a few more laws about collecting where you live though. What part of Australia?

Jacob you could just send the stuff to me that you don't want. :):flower: Wecould really use a cuc. :)

Jamie nice pics. How big is Jim now?

About 6.5 inches. :)

Jacob's got the cool stuff though...

ftfy

lumpsuckers....

Archived