Pod Your Reef

16 gallon Coldwater

Jamie

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jacob - will do

d - haha, he's off to get his cat scan now! We decided that with the way he fell, he landed the best way possible. The other two options were: a) crushing his nose and losing his front teeth; B) hitting the side of his head and getting knocked out. So yeah, broken cheek bone is starting to sound pretty good! Other than a lot of pain, he's fine, so we're all pretty happy it didn't turn out worse.

I just added the shrimp (three, by the way) to the tank. Got a couple mediocre pictures before they hid:

acclimation

IMG_0846.jpg

after adding

IMG_0852.jpg

still think i'd have gone for option d: stayin on my feet ;) but glad he wasn't hurt worse than he was.

neato shrimps

Haha, he said that too. The cat scan showed that though his cheek is broken in multiple places, it hasn't shifted much, so he doesn't need surgery, which is good news!

Awesome Shrimps!

Thanks!

Skeleton shrimp?

Sorry about your dad.

Where did you go to

do night tidepooling?

H

I don't think this ( http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/animals....aspx?id=781630 ) is what you meant, can you post a link?

I'm thinking Heptacarpus brevirostris

247703431_nE4dd-XL.jpg

My chiller is suddenly not performing well. Normally it keeps the temp between 59 -60, but the past few days it has been running continuously and is unable to keep it below 62. If what I think is happening (coolant leak - this happened to my last chiller), then it's gonna die pretty soon. I don't have a backup chiller. fml.

on the bright side - I have a very cold basement, so I can at least keep everything in buckets down there until I figure something out. I can't afford a new chiller though, so things aren't looking good for this tank. I was planning on slowly transferring this stuff into a pico for the contest - now it's looking like the change may be a little more abrupt. :(

My chiller is suddenly not performing well .... If what I think is happening (coolant leak - this happened to my last chiller), then it's gonna die pretty soon. I don't have a backup chiller. fml.

Your probably right about the coolant leak, but I've seen restricted air flow or a super dirty radiator cause similar problems.

I noticed that there are three used chillers on craigslist in Portland right now. Two 1/10th hp's and one 1/4 hp, each asking $200. I wouldn't be surprised if you could get one for $150. You can look at the 1/4 hp HERE.

Oooh, thanks for the link! Now I need to convince my parents... (doubt that's happening). I might be able to make my own thermoelectric chiller for 70-80 bucks, or so my friend says. Or I could just buy an iceprobe for 110. Either of the budget options would limit tank size though. <_<

I've made two DIY chillers. They both worked, but I eventually concluded that it was a much better idea to watch craigslist or the local paper and be ready to pounce on a low priced used one. I found that it's a lot easier to earn $150 (even at $8/hr) than it is to build a chiller, and the end result is much better if you buy.

Anyway, I hope you find a solution, I'd hate for you to be completely out of the cold tank game.

well, I'm going to be anyway in a few months because I'm going to college. I'm thinking about just doing it now. :mellow:

Me and my friend just did a thorough investigation of the older chiller that hasn't worked for a long time. The refrigerant looks like it was leaking out, because there is greasy fluid all over one bend in the pipe. We couldn't find any holes though. He thinks I should just buy a can of new refrigerant and try recharging it, to see if it really leaks.

Chiller has been holding steady at 62-63 degrees. :huh: I guess it just decided to be slightly less efficient.

thats a little strange, but at least the temp is staying low enough. is it possible something could have blocked the flow a bit? that would certainly make it less efficient.

Hope all goes well with your chiller, your tank is looking awesome!

you mentioned the iceprobe, are they any good? sound too good to be true.

They're pretty weak, but other than that I think they work pretty well. Google peltier effect if you want to learn more about how they work.

As far as the tank goes, it's now hovering at 64 degrees. :scarry: Most of the anemones have been moved to the basement tank, which seems stable around 59-60. A few of the bigger anemones and the fish are still in the tank with the failing chiller.

They're pretty weak, but other than that I think they work pretty well. Google peltier effect if you want to learn more about how they work.

As far as the tank goes, it's now hovering at 64 degrees. :scarry: Most of the anemones have been moved to the basement tank, which seems stable around 59-60. A few of the bigger anemones and the fish are still in the tank with the failing chiller.

:(

am i gonna have to send you a shipping address? :lol:

but seriously...thats no good.

the peltier effect sounds pretty cool, I guess a chiller may be in the near future for me, don't need anything too big, planning just a 10g CW local biotype. 64 :o:(fingerscrossed ...

:(

am i gonna have to send you a shipping address? :lol:

but seriously...thats no good.

my mom is headed out there in April, hopefully the chiller can wait till then to explode. ;)

the peltier effect sounds pretty cool, I guess a chiller may be in the near future for me, don't need anything too big, planning just a 10g CW local biotype. 64 :o:(fingerscrossed ...

cool!

yep yep.

In order to avert disaster, I turned off all the pumps and filter5s in the upstairs tank, except for the chiller-pump. Temp is back down to 62 for now.

• 4 weeks later...
yep yep.

In order to avert disaster, I turned off all the pumps and filter5s in the upstairs tank, except for the chiller-pump. Temp is back down to 62 for now.

Hows the tank doing? Also how is the chiller holding up?

the tank is in the process of being broken down, on account of the failing chiller. All the nems have been moved to the basement, which is cooler. The only things left in the 16 gallon are a lot of rocks, a few anthopleuras, jim, and the little unnamed gunnel. The chiller is continuing to get worse. I turned off all the pumps and the filter to bring the temp down, but it's creeping back up again.

Archived