Cultivated Reef

16 gallon Coldwater

Jamie

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Jamie do you have a pic of that fish from the side?

nope, he's in a breeder-net type thing, so only top downs for now.

Omigosh, YES!!! omgomgomg:wub:

I figured now that the weather's cooling off... :)

not at the moment, I did, however, get some new anemone shots! As you can see, the health of the anemones has improved since the sculpin died.

Epiactis sp.

DSC_1076.jpg

strawberries

DSC_1080.jpg

actinia equina

DSC_1110.jpg

metridium sp.

DSC_1112.jpg

yeah, I was thinking about trying to take a coldwater pico or something with me, but with the feeding requirements it's really not feasible. I *might* try a tropical tank, but I'm doubtful that'll even work well.

Tropical tanks in dorm rooms are simple I did it for 6 of the 8 semesters I was in college. All you need is a small light, a 3g or 5.5g tank a hob filter and your good to go. No heater as I've found them to be too unreliable in a tank that small. If you have more quesitons let me know. :)

Hey having a halide and acropora in a pico is doable and not too much work. All I do on my 5.5g is a weekly water change, top off daily and turn on and off the lights. I grow some cheato in the aquaclear filter and thats it. Really simple.

I know, I have, like, exactly what I want going on right now with my tropical pico, it's just that a lot of dorms don't allow metal halide fixtures, and I don't know how I'd take care of the tank while I was home for winter and summer breaks.

the problem is that I want metal halides and acropora. :P

what did you do in the summer, leave it with a friend? Or did you live close enough?

I took it home with me for the summer, christmas break, spring break, anytime they closed the dorms. As long as your driving home you can take it. If you have to fly to get home well then I don't know.

Our dorms didn't have anything against metal halides and odds are they won't even know the difference.

yeah, wherever I end up going I'll be flying. The closest place I'm applying to is stanford, which is a 12-14 hour drive, and I probably won't end up going there, so anywhere else would just be farther. One school I'm looking at, Bowdoin (in brunswick, maine) is right on the coast and has an awesome setup for marine bio, with a whole building that's filled with flow-through tanks that pump water out of the ocean. The only problem is that the ocean there freezes over in the winter. :/ The other top choice is Pomona, which is really warm and beautiful, but over an hour from the coast. grrr...

my sister's college doesn't even allow halogen desk-lamps. :P

so, my dslr is in the shop, but I decided to take out the point and shoot just to see, turns out it's pretty good at taking pictures too!

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

Archived