SaltCritters.com

16 gallon Coldwater

Jamie

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just read this whole thread! Great tank! I'm looking forward to see if you find anything new for your tank and of course pics.

The pics are a little dark, but I can see them just fine. :)

ok, I guess it's just the beach computer then.

Just read this whole thread! Great tank! I'm looking forward to see if you find anything new for your tank and of course pics.

thanks!

Freediving didn't work out this weekend - it was a little too rough to take the boat out - but I did get to go snorkeling. It was quite the adventure. Me and my friends drove the hour and 20 minutes down to cape lookout to try snorkeling there. Unfortunately for us, you can't actually get to the south side of cape lookout unless you want to hike 5 miles both ways through a giant atv park. anyways, we spent a couple hours driving around hoping we could find a road down to the beach.

We finally gave up and went north to netarts bay, which was all eelgrass and nothing else. After about ten minutes we left and headed north (again) to Tillamook bay. After this time, 4.5 hours had elapsed and we had accomplished nothing. It was 4:40, and I had told my parents we'd be home around five. We figured we'd spend a little time in the water (we had low expectations after netarts) then drive the 20 minutes home and not be too late.

Tillamook was actually a lot cooler than expected, though not much different than anything you'd see tidepooling. There were quite a few small jellyfish of different types, but other than that it was just kelp and anthopleura anemones. I had my underwater camera, but visibility wasn't great. This blurryness was all I got:

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

We spent what we thought was about half an hour there, then headed back to the car. Just before we left, I looked at the clock, and paused. Then pointed it out to my friends. It was almost 6:20. We had spent an hour and forty minutes snorkeling, and were now going to be home an hour and forty minutes later than I had told my parents. I had 9 missed calls on my phone, and my friend had 14. Needless to say my parents were mad, and I got basically nothing out of the trip other than a mediocre snorkeling experience, but yeah, that's what happened.

Yesterday I went tidepooling in manzanita, which didn't involve any driving, and it was much more successful. Me and my friend caught three of these cool yellow snailfish, and a leopard dorid (sponge-eating nudi, which I stupidly brought home anyway). We also encountered this weird crab thing (I looked it up, it's in the lithode crab group, I don't remember the exact name). It looked like it had a parasitic barnacle (which manifests itself as a gross pink squishy thing on the crabs belly). In fact, there was nothing wrong with it, that's just what it looked like, but I didn't know that at the time. I picked it up, and it sort of latched onto my finger. I tried to shake it off, and it just squeezed on harder, and squished it's gross soft belly-thing against my finger, and I kind of freaked out and flung it off my hand into a rock. It was unpleasant both for me an the crab, so we left it there to recover. The snailfish and nudi are now mine, however.

Because last time I had a snailfish, it got eaten, I've decided to set up an anemone-less, fishless, refugium for them. Just going to be various macro algaes. But for now they're in a critter-keeper I rigged up as a sort of in tank fuge. Unfortunately one of them escaped into the tank, so hopefully it can hide well enough to not be attacked by other fish or eaten by the anemones. The other two are still in the critter keeper, and hopefully they will stay there. I think it'll be a good opportunity to wean them onto frozen food, because the previous ones I've had hide so much it's hard to get them to eat.

no pictures of the new stuff for now, and this week and next week I have finals, so it could be a while, we'll see.

funny stories...

my day trip wasn't as crazy...

i went to the beach this yesterday with my dad and some of his Australian friends, We first went to barview but it wasn't good for tide pooling then we stopped a a small lake across from rockaway and paddled in my dads homemade kayak. Then we went to haystack rock to find puffins but there were none, so i spent my time in the strangely bountiful, crowded tide pools hand catching tiny (10-25mm) baby sculpin and gunnels and a sand shrimp. The sand shrimp was crazy i would dig it up and put it on the sand then it would vibrate and disappear. There was only one anemone that i found, which explains the large number of fish.

also when i pick up a hermit it ditched its shell completely and sat in the open...?

the major news is that my dad said "we should set up a salt water aquarium, so we can put animals like these in it..."

Yay!!!!!

we (family) are Australian

update! sorry for the long wait, I promised myself I wouldn't make any more posts in this thread till I took pictures. This was supposed to motivate me to take pictures, but I ended up just not posting. :/

funny stories...

my day trip wasn't as crazy...

i went to the beach this yesterday with my dad and some of his Australian friends, We first went to barview but it wasn't good for tide pooling then we stopped a a small lake across from rockaway and paddled in my dads homemade kayak. Then we went to haystack rock to find puffins but there were none, so i spent my time in the strangely bountiful, crowded tide pools hand catching tiny (10-25mm) baby sculpin and gunnels and a sand shrimp. The sand shrimp was crazy i would dig it up and put it on the sand then it would vibrate and disappear. There was only one anemone that i found, which explains the large number of fish.

also when i pick up a hermit it ditched its shell completely and sat in the open...?

the major news is that my dad said "we should set up a salt water aquarium, so we can put animals like these in it..."

Yay!!!!!

we (family) are Australian

Cool stuff! Yeah, haystack rock is a marine protected are, which means it's illegal to take anything - that's why you saw so much stuff. And yeah, the hermits here do that - apparently running away without a shell is a better strategy than hiding inside it. good luck with your tank!

hi. great tank! have you experienced any condensation issues? thanks!

I had minor condensation a couple days last summer when it got over 100 degrees. I don't have A/C, and my tank is upstairs, so it can get pretty warm up there. The dewpoint here is almost always less than 55˚, so if you're keeping a cw tank around that temperature, you shouldn't have problems.

Here is the one picture for the day - snailfish! I set up my hang on tank refugium for them, and it's kind of slowly leaking, but it's slow enough that I can walk by every couple hours and mop up the water before my parents notice. Definitely a good long term solution. ;)

you can see the suction cup in the reflection under him. also, he/she's pretty pale in this picture, they can get darker than this, but not much darker, maybe latte colored. :P

DSC_2079.jpg

Thanks for that identification! When i first caught one of those (I have only caught one) I thought i caught a saltwater tadpole... I was mad, it appeared to be a very fragile fish and died after a very short amount of time of being in a bucket with perfectly fresh water. They also change color very fast, it went from the pink color to a dark brown.

• 2 weeks later...

school got out for me a week ago :P

did yours get extended because of the snow week?

as far as updates, not much new. The nudibranch laid a couple egg spirals and then died - never ate my sponges, though it was a sponge eating nudi. Might have starved, or maybe just at the end of it's lifespan.

Snailfish are still separated from the rest of the tank, and have been eating frozen mysis, so that's good.

yeah... basically no changes.

In other news, I'm almost scuba certified, just have to take the written test :D . We did all the mandatory skill demonstration today in a lake, we have to do a couple more dives just for fun to demonstrate that we know what we're doing. We'll be going up to puget sound for those at the beginning of July, so maybe I'll bring back some new stuff!

until then though, I'll have to content myself with designing a tank for the snailfish.

• 2 weeks later...

where are the pics of your tank?

but yeah, I'm in maryland right now (HI DANIEL/AMBER!!!) so no pics till I get home, which is next monday.

and apparently one of the snailfish died while I was away. :( my dad was nice enough to remove it, but he's not there any more, so hopefully the other one will make it. There is someone there feeding them every day, but she's not very reef-savvy, and probably wouldn't notice, or think to remove, a dead fish.

where are the pics of your tank?

but yeah, I'm in maryland right now (HI DANIEL/AMBER!!!) so no pics till I get home, which is next monday.

and apparently one of the snailfish died while I was away. :( my dad was nice enough to remove it, but he's not there any more, so hopefully the other one will make it. There is someone there feeding them every day, but she's not very reef-savvy, and probably wouldn't notice, or think to remove, a dead fish.

Hi!!

Where is our fish? ;) lol

he's about a year away, you get him when I go to college. ;)

but I'm finally home, so I should be able to get some pics soon, at least.

• 4 weeks later...

okay, so, I'm kinda confused, because this thread seems to have had the end cut off it, and all my posts in other places seem to be disappearing too (my entire cuttlefish thread is gone, for instance). So I guess I'll just repost all the pics, without comments, that went missing, then get on to the new stuff.

DSC_0233-1.jpg

DSC_0292-1.jpg

DSC_0283.jpg

DSC_0268.jpg

DSC_0264-1.jpg

DSC_0252.jpg

DSC_0245-1.jpg

DSC_0231-1.jpg

DSC_0213.jpg

DSC_0211-1.jpg

DSC_0197.jpg

DSC_0188.jpg

DSC_0185-1.jpg

DSC_0180.jpg

DSC_0164.jpg

DSC_0142-1.jpg

DSC_0132.jpg

DSC_0129-2.jpg

DSC_0104-1.jpg

DSC_0073-1.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

Okay, now for the new stuff. As you may know (because I did, I believe, say this already; it just has vanished into the ether) I just got back from Sea Camp, which is basically a scuba diving/marine biology program for teenagers, located in San Diego. It was basically crazy awesome fantastic, the diving was sweet, and I got some (over 400, actually) pictures. And some of them even turned out well! So yeah, here they are. :)

Catalina Island

Moray, urchins, catalina gobies (these gobies were everywhere, I wanted to scoop them all up and take them home!)

IMG_0176-1.jpg

Kelp perch

IMG_0211.jpg

Here are a couple videos, the first is a california sheephead, the second is a garibaldi.

th_MVI_0183.jpg

th_MVI_0184.jpg

Rockfish

IMG_0263.jpg

Blackeye goby

IMG_0268-1.jpg

Colonial cup coral

IMG_0271.jpg

San Clemente Island

California Spiny Lobster

IMG_0309.jpg

Gorgonian

IMG_0318.jpg

Baby horned shark

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

Kelp Bass

IMG_0343.jpg

Sole

IMG_0361.jpg

Afternoon Sun

IMG_0374.jpg

Open ocean (en route to Coronados)

Kelp, baby fish

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

dolphin video

th_MVI_0438.jpg

Coronados Islands

IMG_0440.jpg

The first part of the dive we explored a wreck.

Sea Star

IMG_0449.jpg

Inside the wreck

IMG_0450.jpg

strawberries under the ceiling of the wreck (the only ones I saw on the trip)

IMG_0451.jpg

scorpionfish

IMG_0458.jpg

sea star and blackeye goby

IMG_0459.jpg

Nudibranch

IMG_0462.jpg

Painted Greenling, white urchins

IMG_0464.jpg

These pics are the same dive, but not at the wreck

Gorgonain

IMG_0470.jpg

California Sea Hare

IMG_0476.jpg

Purple Urchins

IMG_0479.jpg

Juvenile garibaldi

IMG_0486.jpg

Adult Garibaldi

IMG_0489.jpg

Señorita wrasses

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

Giant Black Sea Hare (this guy was bigger than a bowling ball)

IMG_0495.jpg

Sheephead

IMG_0510.jpg

And that's it! Unfortunately couldn't take anything more than pictures home with me, so my tank looks the same for now, but I'll be going to the beach shortly, so maybe some new stuff then.

This weekend we're supposed to have a stretch of days above 100, so we'll see how the chiller handles it. I'm filling up bottles to freeze almost as we speak.

One of these showed up in my tank. What are they?

Mine are Corynactis californica, but I'm guessing you're talking about a tropical tank. Could be corynactis or pseudocorynactis sp.

Giving this thread a bump, hopefully the pics are working.

Tank update - record high temperatures this week in portland. 106˚ today, and tomorrow looks to tie or beat the all time record of 107˚. I don't have air conditioning, so it's been pretty awesome. The coldwater tank has been sweating like a fat man in a parka for three days straight, and I'm running out of dry towels. The chiller is able to keep up until it gets over 100˚, then the tank temp starts creeping up - the highest I've seen is 64˚ (compared to a typical 59˚). I've been adding ziploc's full of ice periodically to keep the temp down. For some reason, I still haven't insulated this tank at all, so tomorrow I might break out the styrofoam.

Other than that, everything is happy. I've been keeping live cw mysids in a net in this tank for my baby cuttlefish, but they seem to be dying at a pretty steady rate. I've been feeding the dead to my fish, who love the fresh (ish) food.

I'm going to the beach for 10 days starting this thursday night, and it looks like it'll finally be good weather for freediving, so maybe I'll get some stuff! I saw tons of gorgonians in so cal, so I'm hopeful they'll be here too. fingerscrossed

That's why I alway recommend 1" thick acrylic for the tank and sump to anyone thinking of setting up a coldwater tank. My 55 F system hasn't so much as fogged up in this 107 F hell that we're experiencing.....and the chiller is having no problem keeping up. The extra cost of thick acrylic isn't that big of a deal and the added cost is recouped a little bit everyday in the form of the chiller not having to work as hard.

Great set of pics, Jamie, looks like fun. :D

I need stuff for my tank.. will probably PM ya later today!

And silly people with no a/c..

That's why I alway recommend 1" thick acrylic for the tank and sump to anyone thinking of setting up a coldwater tank. My 55 F system hasn't so much as fogged up in this 107 F hell that we're experiencing.....and the chiller is having no problem keeping up. The extra cost of thick acrylic isn't that big of a deal and the added cost is recouped a little bit everyday in the form of the chiller not having to work as hard.

Yeah, this is just a plain old AGA glass tank - definitely not designed for coldwater. I will at least put some styro on it for insulation. Next tank will definitely be using thick acrylic. Glad to hear your tank is doing well.

Great set of pics, Jamie, looks like fun. :D

I need stuff for my tank.. will probably PM ya later today!

And silly people with no a/c..

When it only gets this hot for one week a year, it's not worth it. Well, that's what my dad tells me, at least. waiting for pm. :)

Archived