Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

16 gallon Coldwater

Jamie

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys. :)

Great pics, as usual, Jamie. I like the sculpin too. :)

You can have him! seriously. he bites my anemones, it's infuriating. He doesn't bother strawberries though. He might get a little big for your tank though, they're supposed to get around 6 inches (I think). But if you want him...

Wow! :blink:

I haven't visited this thread in a while, and I have to say, totally amazing and fascinating.

The life on your new rocks is beautiful, I love it. :wub:

omgomgomg

How big is he now? :wub:

mebbe 3.5? I think he'd be fine in your tank, even at full size. He doesn't do a lot of moving around. What would be really cool is if you set up some sort of ramp thing. He's amphibious, so you could have a separate feeding tank, but to get food, he'd have to climb up the ramp to get it! that would be sweet.

Wow! :blink:

I haven't visited this thread in a while, and I have to say, totally amazing and fascinating.

The life on your new rocks is beautiful, I love it. :wub:

Thanks! yeah, unfortunately a lot of the sponges are going away, but there're still lots of cool hydroids and things. :happy:

mebbe 3.5? I think he'd be fine in your tank, even at full size. He doesn't do a lot of moving around. What would be really cool is if you set up some sort of ramp thing. He's amphibious, so you could have a separate feeding tank, but to get food, he'd have to climb up the ramp to get it! that would be sweet.

He sounds so cool. :wub:

I like the ramp idea..... hmmmmmmm..

Chiller should be here in the next couple of days! :happydance:

Amerijuanican

yo... I can't believe I haven't seen this thread before... very cool, I'll be tagging along. I took this picture at the Georgia Aquarium last year, thought you might like it:

DSCN0410-1.jpg

Thanks guys. :)

You can have him! seriously. he bites my anemones, it's infuriating. He doesn't bother strawberries though. He might get a little big for your tank though, they're supposed to get around 6 inches (I think). But if you want him...

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=2435630

"The mosshead sculpin Clinocottus globiceps (Girard, 1857) feeds on the sea anemone Anthopleura elegantissima that contains two different algal endosymbionts, zooxanthellae and zoochlorellae."

This is really common, unfortunately. Even juveniles will do it. :(

I can't remember exactly... It was about a 40 or 50 gallon tank full of nothing but these anemones.

:drool:

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=2435630

"The mosshead sculpin Clinocottus globiceps (Girard, 1857) feeds on the sea anemone Anthopleura elegantissima that contains two different algal endosymbionts, zooxanthellae and zoochlorellae."

This is really common, unfortunately. Even juveniles will do it. :(

interesting... Mine actually doesn't bite them that much, he only really went at them when they were new to the tank. Every so often though, maybe once a week, I see him take a chomp. I wonder if it's because almost all of the nems are azooxanthellate? Did the article say it's eating them specifically for the algae, or is that a side note? (edit, read more closely, sounds like yes, it's eating them for the algae) Meh, Lalani can have him, she's doing an all strawberry tank (right?).

trust me, if I ever see a grunt sculpin or a spiny lumpsucker, I will do everything in my power to get it. Even if it involves potential loss of a limb.

trust me, if I ever see a grunt sculpin or a spiny lumpsucker, I will do everything in my power to get it. Even if it involves potential loss of a limb.

if you ever found a lumpsucker, i'd be on a plane to steal it from you the next day :P

kingwintergreen
I think you should try and get a grunt sculpin. Or the cutest fish in the world... :)

2359257049_5a86aef06e.jpg

They regularly breed grunts and lumpsuckers at the Vancouver Aquarium, among other interesting temperate ornamentals. Believe me, I'd have some by now if they were available to hobbyists, but they are not-- you would probably have better luck, though.

if you ever found a lumpsucker, i'd be on a plane to steal it from you the next day :P

watch out, my house is protected by :ninja: 's

That little fish is so cute. :wub:

Argh, I need to find tubing for my chiller so I can test it.

this sounds like a problem of laziness ;)

They regularly breed grunts and lumpsuckers at the Vancouver Aquarium, among other interesting temperate ornamentals. Believe me, I'd have some by now if they were available to hobbyists, but they are not-- you would probably have better luck, though.

coool. but why would I have better luck?

Jake42393

probly cuz u have good experience with coldwater.

it looks great by the way ;]

this sounds like a problem of laziness ;)

Meh, I went looking for the equipment today and none of the pet stores had what I needed......... so, I just placed an order with marinedepot. :P

kingwintergreen

That was a reply to Matt... I believe he works at a public aquarium. ;)

Meh, I went looking for the equipment today and none of the pet stores had what I needed......... so, I just placed an order with marinedepot. :P

I'll be expecting a thread update within the next few days then!

That was a reply to Matt... I believe he works at a public aquarium. ;)

Does he? In that case, Matt, if you can get one, I will buy it from you. As long as it doesn't cost too much. :P

steveweast
I'll be expecting a thread update within the next few days then!

Does he? In that case, Matt, if you can get one, I will buy it from you. As long as it doesn't cost too much. :P

I doubt if Matt could do that....that's not their business model.....but, grunt sculpin and lumpsuckers are common (although often hard to spot with our visability) throughout Puget Sound. Lumpsuckers come into the shallower eel grass beds (20 - 30 ft) in winter. You just need to get certified.

http://www.seaotter.com/marine//research/e...pics/orbis3.jpg

Archived