SaltCritters.com

16 gallon Coldwater

Jamie

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think he would go to jail. He would for sure get slapped with a big fine. I think on the order of $1,000 per violation depending on species though. He could also hit up the aquarists at Monterey Bay Aquarium or local CA Fish and Game. Tell them he is a student or the like and is working on a cold water tank for his Masters project and ask about donations or waver...

I wouldn't try that unless you actually were a student. It might not be convincing if you were clearly way too old to be in college. but, I guess you could try...

I changed it :lol: for like the tenth time.

Thank you, the barfing person is beautiful by comparison.

just to keep this on topic - there are no significant developments in the tank, and no new pics. Though I might be able to get some this weekend. I don't know, I have science fair friday and the ACT on saturday. We'll see. I do sense a lack of pictures though.

kingwintergreen
yeah, I'd need a bigger tank. But still, I have not seen a coldwater fish that colorful in a very long time.

hula fish!

yeah, I'd need a bigger tank. But still, I have not seen a coldwater fish that colorful in a very long time.

I'd like to see any coldwater fish that will fit in my tank -_-

You notice Foreshores has new livestock??

jamie, I haven't really been keeping up, but are your strawberries splitting with regularity?

edit: nvm, read back a few pages. I gotta get a tank set up soon!

hula fish!

ooh, I'd like one of those. Know how big they get?

qft

I second this. and btw, Daniel, your tank is like, 24 gallons bigger than mine, so don't tell me about finding fish that fit. :P Actually, my fish don't really fit in my tank, but I put them in anyways. You're probably getting Jim when I go to college, since he belongs in something more along the lines of forty gallons. Or maybe I'll hand deliver him next time I visit my grandparents. They live in Bethesda, which I think is pretty near you. you can have the sculpin too, I'm indifferent to his presence.

ooh, I'd like one of those. Know how big they get?

I second this. and btw, Daniel, your tank is like, 24 gallons bigger than mine, so don't tell me about finding fish that fit. :P Actually, my fish don't really fit in my tank, but I put them in anyways. You're probably getting Jim when I go to college, since he belongs in something more along the lines of forty gallons. Or maybe I'll hand deliver him next time I visit my grandparents. They live in Bethesda, which I think is pretty near you. you can have the sculpin too, I'm indifferent to his presence.

:lol: I wouldn't mind the size if i thought the filtration could handle it. Need to make some upgrades :)

Jim and the sculpin would be welcome anytime you need to find them a new home :) Next time you come out here, let me know. We can meet up sometime. Your grandparents are probably 15-20 minutes drive from us.

Edit:

ZOMG HULA FISH!!!

They only get to 4" too :)

ooooh. cool. I bet jim would eat it though, he has a big mouth. I've never seen that species for sale before.

ok, pics as promised, But first a little explanation, because this was kind of unexpected.

I went to the beach this past weekend, there was an ok low tide, but not super. There was also a big storm, so I wasn't planning on doing much tidepooling. I miraculously, however, convinced my parents to take me down to the jetty, so I went tidepooling in pouring rain and forty mph winds. It was basically awesome, and a got quite a few beautifully encrusted rocks. Finally I was able to set up a good aquascape! Here are the results:

DSC_1433.jpg

The rocks came with lots of anemones, hydroids, and encrusting sponges. I'm going to seriously up my feedings (and start adding oyster eggs) in an effort to keep the sponges alive. I really hoping they work out, because they're beautiful. Here are some pics of the rocks:

DSC_1473.jpg

DSC_1470.jpg

DSC_1467.jpg

DSC_1424.jpg

DSC_1453.jpg

also got this big guy. I haven't had a xantho in a while, I hope he does well!

DSC_1430.jpg

stretch! notice the purple sponges to the right :wub:

DSC_1447-2.jpg

old chiton

DSC_1466.jpg

strawberries

DSC_1456.jpg

happy fisheses

DSC_1436.jpg

DSC_1442.jpg

I know, isn't it great? I do feel kind of bad taking it, since I'm taking it from a jetty, and a jetty is kind of made up of rocks, so by taking it's rocks, I'm making it slightly less effective. I hope there's not a law against that. :scarry:

but Daniel - I do have a couple rocks that aren't accomplishing anything as a part of the scape, so I might be able to send you one of those. ;) You'll owe me something though. :flower:

I know, isn't it great? I do feel kind of bad taking it, since I'm taking it from a jetty, and a jetty is kind of made up of rocks, so by taking it's rocks, I'm making it slightly less effective. I hope there's not a law against that. :scarry:

lol, kinda butterfly effect right? the idea that one rock removed will change the course of that jetty's history forever :wacko:

but Daniel - I do have a couple rocks that aren't accomplishing anything as a part of the scape, so I might be able to send you one of those. ;) You'll owe me something though. :flower:

:D would be much appreciated. i'll send you a pm tomorrow to work out details.

:o

very purdy Jamie!

B)

:)

lol, kinda butterfly effect right? the idea that one rock removed will change the course of that jetty's history forever :wacko:

:D would be much appreciated. i'll send you a pm tomorrow to work out details.

Especially if lots of people see this thread and are like, omg, I'm going to get those rocks! Then all their friends see their tanks and are like, omg, where did you get those rocks, I need some! and so on. :o

• 2 weeks later...

ok, an update.

the sponges are slowly disappearing, unfortunately. I'm guessing that they'll recede to the point at which there is the right amount of sponge for the amount of food in the tank, then just be happy. Hopefully they don't just disappear! I do have some sponges on the scallop shells from california that are thriving, so there's something they like at least. :(

I did just change my feeding regime. Now I feed 1 cube cyclops, 1 cube rotifers and some oyster eggs every day. I add 1 cube of mysis to that every other day. The anemones are responding very well to this, and the Epiactis anemone opened up for the first time in like, three weeks! Needless to say I stuffed it with mysis. :D I'm hoping the rotifers and oyster eggs will keep the sponges happy, we'll see.

I have some cool hydroids that are spreading all over the back of the tank, but I don't know if I can get a picture - my camera has trouble focusing on things at the back of the tank... :mellow:

There's a huge low tide this weekend, but I'm not at the beach... because of homework. grrr.

pics to accompany the above update (sculpin was a real camera hog today!):

hermit

DSC_1496.jpg

Epiactis sp (barely open, but it did eat again today) with sculpin, plotting to bite the nem's tentacles should they come out.

DSC_1538.jpg

Sculpin, looking decidedly evil (ick, I swear these pics were less grainy before upload)

DSC_1500.jpg

DSC_1505.jpg

elegants

DSC_1532.jpg

DSC_1557.jpg

Archived