Top Shelf Aquatics

16 gallon Coldwater

Jamie

I'm currently working on certification - should be finished by either the end of this month or the next (they only go up to hood canal once a month, and the first planned trip is the weekend before finals :scarry: ). I'm so excited!

I've seen that picture before, do you know if that color is common? It seems that most of them are grey/tan colored.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I doubt if Matt could do that....that's not their business model.....but, grunt sculpin and lumpsuckers are common (although often hard to spot with our visability) throughout Puget Sound. Lumpsuckers come into the shallower eel grass beds (20 - 30 ft) in winter. You just need to get certified.

http://www.seaotter.com/marine//research/e...pics/orbis3.jpg

Hi Steve! That is a very nice color morph. I am guessing you have seen the Japanese counterpart of these guys?

Lethotremus awae

dango.jpg

A%20Lethotremus%20awae35s.JPG

They come in a really wide range of colors from green to purple to yellow to just plain brown. Someone in Japan is catching them for the aquarium trade, so maybe Blue Corner could get one or two for you... ;)

steveweast
I'm currently working on certification - should be finished by either the end of this month or the next (they only go up to hood canal once a month, and the first planned trip is the weekend before finals :scarry: ). I'm so excited!

I've seen that picture before, do you know if that color is common? It seems that most of them are grey/tan colored.

That pic is from a local website taken in Puget Sound. Supposedly, it was taken from Three Tree Point....a shore dive site just South of Seattle. The site seems to say that tan, orange, and red are the local color morphs.

Good luck on your open water cert. You'll probably do it at Octopus Hole.....which is a reserve....so, no sticky fingers are allowed. You might want to get drysuit certified while you're still doing your pool time.....Puget Sound in a 7mm is miserable.

Hi Steve! That is a very nice color morph. I am guessing you have seen the Japanese counterpart of these guys?

Lethotremus awae

dango.jpg

A%20Lethotremus%20awae35s.JPG

They come in a really wide range of colors from green to purple to yellow to just plain brown. Someone in Japan is catching them for the aquarium trade, so maybe Blue Corner could get one or two for you... ;)

:drool: those are really cool. want!

That pic is from a local website taken in Puget Sound. Supposedly, it was taken from Three Tree Point....a shore dive site just South of Seattle. The site seems to say that tan, orange, and red are the local color morphs.

Good luck on your open water cert. You'll probably do it at Octopus Hole.....which is a reserve....so, no sticky fingers are allowed. You might want to get drysuit certified while you're still doing your pool time.....Puget Sound in a 7mm is miserable.

Haha, yeah, I figured the dive instructors probably wouldn't approve of me taking things anyway. and for drysuit certification - we're seriously considering it. It's only one more pool session, and if I'm going to have to take my mask off in freezing cold water, I'd at least like the rest of me to be as warm as possible.

soo......

how long after that until you're sendin me a lumpsucker?? :D

:flower:

if I catch two, you can have the second one. :P

i wish you the best of luck in the world, young sir!! :lol:

They regularly breed grunts and lumpsuckers at the Vancouver Aquarium, among other interesting temperate ornamentals. Believe me, I'd have some by now if they were available to hobbyists, but they are not-- you would probably have better luck, though.

The Vancouver Aquarium is where ours came from. Our lumpsuckers gave birth to about 50 jet black babies today. :D:D:D

I wasn't even aware that these guys gave birth to fully developed offspring. The babies are quite big, almost certainly large enough to take down a baby Artemia, and are clinging to the rocks and back wall already. Mom and Dad don't look too interested in eating them. I will try and shoot pics but it will be tough.

I wish I could give a pair or two to dedicated hobbyists looking to breed them, sorry. :(

i wish you the best of luck in the world, young sir!! :lol:

y tú tambien, señor

The Vancouver Aquarium is where ours came from. Our lumpsuckers gave birth to about 50 jet black babies today. :D:D:D

I wasn't even aware that these guys gave birth to fully developed offspring. The babies are quite big, almost certainly large enough to take down a baby Artemia, and are clinging to the rocks and back wall already. Mom and Dad don't look too interested in eating them. I will try and shoot pics but it will be tough.

I wish I could give a pair or two to dedicated hobbyists looking to breed them, sorry. :(

so cooool! I demand pictures. why can't you give/sell to hobbiests? official law, or aquarium policy, or something else? send to me anyway!

steveweast

Nice Matt, I'd like to see pics as well. On May 1st, my catalina gobies laid eggs....should hatch any night this week. Lumpsuckers are always on the top of my collecting list when diving. I'm glad to hear that the babies cling to the rocks so fast. I have a huge pod population in my cold tank......so, when I collect my pair, I might have a fighting chance to raise the fry.

so cooool! I demand pictures. why can't you give/sell to hobbiests? official law, or aquarium policy, or something else? send to me anyway!

Great question. The main reason for it is that a lot of people have donated a lot of money (somewhere around $350 million for my work) to ensure that we educate the public, so we need to make sure anything valuable that reproduces here goes to other such educational institutions. Funny story, a Japanese fellow once walked into the Waikiki Aquarium and offered them $25,000 for a single angelfish! The answer was no, of course. ;) What I can share with you is any information that we learn about husbandry and such, which I am always more than happy to do!

Nice Matt, I'd like to see pics as well. On May 1st, my catalina gobies laid eggs....should hatch any night this week. Lumpsuckers are always on the top of my collecting list when diving. I'm glad to hear that the babies cling to the rocks so fast. I have a huge pod population in my cold tank......so, when I collect my pair, I might have a fighting chance to raise the fry.

Hey Steve, that is great about the Catalinas! Where did they lay the eggs? Has anyone reared them before?

I would not even call the baby lumpsuckers "fry", they are so well developed. B) They look like little versions of frogfish at this stage. I'm sure if you can get a pair to spawn you will have no problem raising them.

If you ever get lumpsucker fry, don't worry, I will take them off your hands for you. ARe you going to attempt to raise the Catalina's?

Funny story, a Japanese fellow once walked into the Waikiki Aquarium and offered them $25,000 for a single angelfish! The answer was no, of course. ;)

The correct answer to this would have been, "Yes, but only if you can catch it with your bare hands."

steveweast
Hey Steve, that is great about the Catalinas! Where did they lay the eggs? Has anyone reared them before?

I would not even call the baby lumpsuckers "fry", they are so well developed. B) They look like little versions of frogfish at this stage. I'm sure if you can get a pair to spawn you will have no problem raising them.

I have a Corynactis covered old barnacle rock. The holes that barnacles once occupied are quite large....about the size of a golf ball. They laid their eggs inside the cavity. If I do decide to raise them, it will be easy in that I can easily relocate their rock on hatch night into a rearing tank. I'm not sure that I'll do it though (greenwater & rotifers is alot of work). For now, I'm counting how many days until the hatch. So far, it's very similar to clown fish....only smaller eggs. I'll have to get my 200mm macro lens out and see if I can get a pic.

Looks like I spoke too soon....I just checked the tank and it looks like they hatched last night....14 days....just like clown fish. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to lay the next batch.

I have a Corynactis covered old barnacle rock. The holes that barnacles once occupied are quite large....about the size of a golf ball. They laid their eggs inside the cavity. If I do decide to raise them, it will be easy in that I can easily relocate their rock on hatch night into a rearing tank. I'm not sure that I'll do it though (greenwater & rotifers is alot of work). For now, I'm counting how many days until the hatch. So far, it's very similar to clown fish....only smaller eggs. I'll have to get my 200mm macro lens out and see if I can get a pic.

Looks like I spoke too soon....I just checked the tank and it looks like they hatched last night....14 days....just like clown fish. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to lay the next batch.

cool! If they keep laying, you should try raising them sometime, or you could give me some fry so I could try! :D I do have a spare chiller laying around...

update!!!!!!!111!!1

:mellow:

:flower:

three more weeks of school, then you can have pictures again. :P

They did lay again one day after hatching.....maybe they need ESPN or something.

catalina4.jpg

:lol:

great picture. That's the male, correct? Do they both guard the eggs, or just him?

:angry: school...

oh well...

see u soon

as one of my friends said today, "I know I've almost reached the finish line, but I'm gonna be the one who stumbles and falls right before I make it, while all the kenyan people run past me."

in other news, I'm going to the beach this weekend, and there's a -1.8 tide. just sayin...

also really small swell, which means we might bring the boat, and I might go free diving. but I'm not promising anything.

as one of my friends said today, "I know I've almost reached the finish line, but I'm gonna be the one who stumbles and falls right before I make it, while all the kenyan people run past me."

:lol:

were would you go free diving?

off three arch rocks or cape lookout, depending on how far my dad is willing to drive me. :P If it's too rough, I'll probably snorkel in Tillamook bay or something, just so I can use my wetsuit.

well, I randomly didn't have much to do tonight, so I took some pics! this tank is getting annoying for pics, though. My camera can't focus on anything farther than three inches from the front pane of glass - I think it has to do with the bowfront - so basically all I can take pictures are the fish when they swim up to the front of the tank, or the few anemones that are close to the front glass. I might transfer this tank to a 20 high over the summer, or something else - I'm not thinking about that now. Anyway, here are some fish portraits.

DSC_1871.jpg

DSC_1884.jpg

DSC_1897.jpg

wow, do those pictures look really dark to anyone else? They were fine on my monitor at home, but on this monitor they are almost entirely black. What are you guys seeing?

what are you using to cool it?

1/10 HP Pacific Coast Chiller

so, I'm currently at the beach, and even though there is small swell (2-3 feet) it's really windy, and the combined seas are 7-9 ft today and tomorrow, and there is a small craft advisory. It's possible we'll get a shot on monday, but it's not looking very likely that we'll get a chance to go free diving from the boat,

Me and my friends, however, are going to drive down to cape lookout and try snorkeling there, so I'll let you know how it goes. There are supposed to be kelp forests , and I'm bringing my underwater camera, but not promising anything. But we can hope!

Archived