ReefCleaners.org

16 gallon Coldwater

Jamie

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kingwintergreen
kwg- Well, I have to agree, the colors do look a little 'altered.' And my nem does look a little like the few pictures I've found of E. australiensis. If it is though, how could it have come to be in Tillamook bay in Oregon?

Oh, I didn't look so far back in the thread, I was thinking it was the one sent to you as a beadlet or something from Africa. Could it be a E. fernaldi or E. ritteri?

Wow, it looks exactly like E. fernaldi.

http://www.wallawalla.edu/academics/depart...s_fernaldi.html

Read this, however:

"Note: Epiactis fernaldi has only been observed in the San Juan Archipelago. The only individuals in the sole known remaining population (photo) are 2 cm or less in diameter."

Is it possible that this is a new thing in this area? That would be exciting!

They are pretty cool, and fortunately, I was able to collect a few! I'm also going back again today to take more pics, and hopefully find that red anemone again, but I dunno what the chances of that happening are. :P

EDIT: Wait, that site says that E. fernaldi doesn't have lines on the column, so that's not it. The oral disk is identical though.

And this one, the column is perfect, but the oral disk is all wrong - mine has no white. Arrgh!

kingwintergreen
EDIT: Wait, that site says that E. fernaldi doesn't have lines on the column, so that's not it. The oral disk is identical though.

And this one, the column is perfect, but the oral disk is all wrong - mine has no white. Arrgh!

Kozloff (1987) describes E. ritteri as having a dull red to brown column with or without radiating light lines and an adhesive area at the bottom that tends to collect sand and gravel. The oral disc has wide radiating white lines mainly near the tentacle bases. He adds that it is extremely flat when contracted.

So, I went back today, and found the red nem and took it! omgomgomg It just happened to be on a perfectly sized rock - it was excellent. There are a couple other nems on the rock, but they're closed, so I don't know if they're the same color.

Also got a sweet snailfish. He will be the last fish for now. I'm getting rid of the big prickleback, and considering getting rid of the sculpin, so some spots may be opened up shortly.

Also, the rock with the new nem brought a whole bunch of pycnogonids with it, which I don't want, because they eat hydroids, so... I dunno what I'll do with them. People kill zoa spiders all the time, but I feel bad, since I just took these out of their home. Anyone want some sea spiders? :huh:

and a few more pics, but not of anything I brought home.

DSC_0530.jpg

DSC_0547-1.jpg

DSC_0539.jpg

DSC_0527.jpg

Kozloff (1987) describes E. ritteri as having a dull red to brown column with or without radiating light lines and an adhesive area at the bottom that tends to collect sand and gravel. The oral disc has wide radiating white lines mainly near the tentacle bases. He adds that it is extremely flat when contracted.

well, mine is very flat when contracted, but no adhesive area, and no white, so I don't think that's it. I think I may have to get some good pics and send them to an expert to id it. Definitely an Epiactis, but doesn't look like any of the pictures I've seen yet.

s'all in the tank now. I might post pics, or I might not. I might go to sleep at three in the afternoon. I haven't decided.

editt: oh - btw, the fish started going after the big hydroids the second they went in the tank. I hadn't even put them down yet. I guess I can't blame them - they're pink, and wiggle around just so. I'd eat that if I were a fish. ok, I'm leaving now.

tank pics! The water is nice and clear now, so I got an fts, and some other shots as well.

DSC_0555-1.jpg

very bright hair algae - doesn't seem to spread very fast, and the chitons like it, so I've made no efforts to remove it. Plus, it's actually a really nice color - nothing else in the tank is this bright green.

DSC_0560.jpg

DSC_0563-1.jpg

DSC_0571.jpg

fisheses

DSC_0568.jpg

finally, a shot showing his (almost) whole body. He's long!

DSC_0581.jpg

Size comparison of big and small pricklebacks (small one is very shy), notice the little head in the lower right

DSC_0592-1.jpg

Snailfish has not made itself visible since i out it in the tank. That's fine with me, but I don't know if it's eating, which is unfortunate. Hopefully he is.

Also, interesting note - I accidentaly got a tropical flatworm in the tank. It must have crawled onto my hand while I was massing around in the tanks downstairs, held on despite being washed in the sink (no soap though), and then lept off onto the glass while I was scraping algae with a razor. Unlikely, yes, but it's for sure the same species as downstairs. It carried on crawling around as if nothing were the matter. So, I guess we'll see what effect the cold has on it. :huh:

lol, you have the same hair algae i have...only one one piee of shell that the strawberries came on. grows so so that i've left it alone.

nice to know we might be able to get tropical pests in here :(

yeah, I'm hoping that at cold temps, if it does manage to survive, reproduction rates will be a lot slower. Hoping that it will die, or that something will eat it.

ehhhh.....

not... too well.

melted, in fact. :(

must not have liked the ammonia. :tears: :tears: and samesies for the other one. :( The metridium is still there, but in hiding - came detached in a rescaping event and drifted into the rockwork.

mmm, purdy, but I don't think I'll be buying any anemones in the near future. I'm still in the market for a cw gorgonian though. :P

nom nom nom, algae delicious

DSC_0671-1.jpg

strawberries - no butter or chocolate, sorry.

DSC_0656.jpg

DSC_0657-1.jpg

mmm, purdy, but I don't think I'll be buying any anemones in the near future. I'm still in the market for a cw gorgonian though. :P

nom nom nom, algae delicious

DSC_0671-1.jpg

strawberries - no butter or chocolate, sorry.

DSC_0656.jpg

DSC_0657-1.jpg

it is my understanding that said gorgs can be found in new england waters (at least so says my field guide). i was thinking about a trip up there sometime in spring/summer to try and collect some stuff. I think they're a little deep for wading in tide pools, but if i get adventurous, i could grab a dry suit and free dive a bit.

nice photos :)

it is my understanding that said gorgs can be found in new england waters (at least so says my field guide). i was thinking about a trip up there sometime in spring/summer to try and collect some stuff. I think they're a little deep for wading in tide pools, but if i get adventurous, i could grab a dry suit and free dive a bit.

nice photos :)

Thanks. :)

We've got em here (Swiftia sp.), but they all live below 50 ft, so no tidepoolings. But I seriously need to try free diving - my parents think I'll die if I do, but I can convince em. after all, I convinced them to let me snorkel at nehalem jetty in six foot swell, it's basically the same thing, except that I would pass out and drown, rather than hit my head on a rock and drown. :) I remember trying to catch a kelp crab that was on this car-sized rock. I'd start at one end, and then the surge would sweep me along it past the other end. I'd try to time a dive below the surface to coincide with my passing the crab, but I was in a 5mm wetsuit, with no weight, so it was almost impossible to get below the surface. I managed to catch him after about a half an hour of this, but he was too big, so I had to return him to his rock. All that energy expended for nothing! :rolleyes:

But yeah, If been trying to convince my dad to let me jump out of our boat on a coastal fishing trip - there's areas we fish with rocky bottoms about 50 ft under, which in my opinion, is totally reasonable (especially with a weight to pull me down). And I'd tie a rope to me so if I passed out, he could pull me up. Seriously, why should he worry? It's totally safe. :huh::lol:

Thanks. :)

We've got em here (Swiftia sp.), but they all live below 50 ft, so no tidepoolings. But I seriously need to try free diving - my parents think I'll die if I do, but I can convince em. after all, I convinced them to let me snorkel at nehalem jetty in six foot swell, it's basically the same thing, except that I would pass out and drown, rather than hit my head on a rock and drown. :) I remember trying to catch a kelp crab that was on this car-sized rock. I'd start at one end, and then the surge would sweep me along it past the other end. I'd try to time a dive below the surface to coincide with my passing the crab, but I was in a 5mm wetsuit, with no weight, so it was almost impossible to get below the surface. I managed to catch him after about a half an hour of this, but he was too big, so I had to return him to his rock. All that energy expended for nothing! :rolleyes:

But yeah, If been trying to convince my dad to let me jump out of our boat on a coastal fishing trip - there's areas we fish with rocky bottoms about 50 ft under, which in my opinion, is totally reasonable (especially with a weight to pull me down). And I'd tie a rope to me so if I passed out, he could pull me up. Seriously, why should he worry? It's totally safe. :huh::lol:

:lol: my policy through high shool was to tell my parents *after* i did something that could be considered questionably stupid and/or dangerous. i guess its a bit harder if they're there to see it, but dads are usually better about things like that than moms, cause you know they did the same kinda stuff when they were that age ;)

lol, and if all else fails, go with "well it's not like i'm doing drugs or buyin hookers!!!" :lol:

Archived