Coral Vue Hydros

16 gallon Coldwater

Jamie

I really enjoyed your pics.

I've never seen white urchins before! Crazy awesome!

Thanks! Yeah, I think they live in a bit deeper water than we usually see.

Bummer about the light pollution, I really like your nems haha ;)

Thanks.

Forgot to say - I had to dismantle the rock structure to get the sculpin out, but it back together and looks almost exactly the same. If anyone was worried. :P

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fts would be exacly the same. :P

did get some more pics though

elegant, with xantho in the backround

DSC_0664.jpg

more elegants

DSC_0701.jpg

DSC_0691.jpg

The still unidentified (I gave up trying) Epiactis sp.

DSC_0673-1.jpg

Berries

DSC_0684.jpg

Urchin, I'm thinking Strongylocentrotus franciscanus (Red Urchin). It's rather purple in color, but the spines are too long to be a purple urchin.

DSC_0656-1.jpg

Interesting note. Since the sculpin died, all my nems have shown significant improvements in health. A. xanthogrammica, Epiactis sp., and Actinia equina were almost always closed, and looked really pissed off all the time. Now they're open, eating, and seemingly recovering. I'd seen the sculpin take nips at them a few times, but I never linked they're poor health to his biting. I guess, from the anemones' point of view, it's good that hes gone, as unfortunate as it is that he died. So, for anyone considering it, I would not recommend the moss-headed sculpin if you're keeping anemones. It's what they eat in nature, so it makes sense that they'd eat them in captivity. :rolleyes:

Heh, well I wouldn't want your tank showing mine up now would I? :P

I'll try to get you a new fishy though, hopefully one that'll be better for your tank. :)

Lani's first, you're second. I may send the second choice fish to you first though, as a practice, because I've never shipped fish before, and Washington is a smaller distance to travel than Louisiana should anything go wrong.

I really really really wanna go to this place called Depoe Bay this week with one of my friends, but my parents can't go, and they're hesitant about me going by myself. It's sort of a ridiculous place. It's the smallest harbor in the world. It's completely naturally formed, and there are no rivers or creeks going into it. The entire thing is surrounded by 50 foot cliffs, and the only exit to the water is 100 feet wide, so all the big fishing boats that go in and out have to go through this tiny little hole, sometimes in big surf. It's pretty crazy and inexplicable, but I want to go there because it's the only place in Oregon I know of that has docks in a full saltwater environment (everywhere else is brackish), and there should be lots of encrusting life!

Lani's first, you're second. I may send the second choice fish to you first though, as a practice, because I've never shipped fish before, and Washington is a smaller distance to travel than Louisiana should anything go wrong.

I really really really wanna go to this place called Depoe Bay this week with one of my friends, but my parents can't go, and they're hesitant about me going by myself. It's sort of a ridiculous place. It's the smallest harbor in the world. It's completely naturally formed, and there are no rivers or creeks going into it. The entire thing is surrounded by 50 foot cliffs, and the only exit to the water is 100 feet wide, so all the big fishing boats that go in and out have to go through this tiny little hole, sometimes in big surf. It's pretty crazy and inexplicable, but I want to go there because it's the only place in Oregon I know of that has docks in a full saltwater environment (everywhere else is brackish), and there should be lots of encrusting life!

Head out to Depoe Bay. Tell your parents I said its okay. I'm in the Coast Guard and will save you if needed. We need a good case here and there. lol

Ok cool, I will take the next baby red irish lord haha. Cool, ya well however you mail it to me, I will use the same set up for mailing stuff to you and lalani.

Head out to Depoe Bay. Tell your parents I said its okay. I'm in the Coast Guard and will save you if needed. We need a good case here and there. lol

Where do you work out of? Btw, they did give the trip the okay, now we just have to convince my friend's mom. :rolleyes:

Ok cool, I will take the next baby red irish lord haha. Cool, ya well however you mail it to me, I will use the same set up for mailing stuff to you and lalani.

I'll try to do a decent job then. :P

MOIN

Indeed. Actually, the seagulls here are quite polite. I have never been pooped on!

anyway, here are some more pics.

starfish

DSC_0703.jpg

Jim jim jim

DSC_0727.jpg

DSC_0730.jpg

DSC_0737.jpg

Disaster! :tears:

My new adorable baby irish lord on his side on the bottom, also dead, also looks like hypoxia. :tears:...

I fed it late, so I turned off the filter and left it off for the night.

It sounds like the flow created by your filter does enough oxygenation that it can't be off as long as over night, but that you need it off for an hour or so after feeding the strawberry anemones to keep the food from being removed by your filter. I have strawberry nems and I have the same problem. I wanted to be able to turn the pump off, feed the tank, and have my pump magically turn back on after an hour, without my having to remember to do it. I did a little fancy wiring and installed a timer switch and a relay to control the pump. I used one of these dial timer switches made for bathroom heaters ($18 at Home Depot). It is designed to turn something on for up to an hour, and then turn it off. That is of course the opposite of what I wanted, so I also installed a "normally closed" relay ($15), in the wiring of a power strip that my pump and chiller are plugged into (don't want the chiller running without the pump). The bottom line is that after splicing these two things into the power strip, I can turn the dial to "60 min", which turns the pump off, feed my tank, and trust that the pump (and chiller) will turn on again an hour later, and stay on until I do it again.

If you are interested I can send you my sources for the parts, and a drawing showing you how to install them.

A cheaper and easier solution would be to buy one of those battery powered air pumps that plugs in, and turns on when it senses that the power is off. Then just plug this air pump, and your filter pump, into the same powerstrip, and when you turn the powerstrip off, the air pump will come on. If the airstone is enough to keep your tank oxygenated, and you keep the batteries fresh, then you'll be okay. This won't work for me because I need the pump to keep water flowing over my bio filter (wet/dry) to keep it alive, so an air pump isn't enough.

Hey how common are blood stars down where you live?

I will try to do my best job haha

Not common. The only place I've seen them was snorkeling at Cape Lookout, never intertidally.

sorry to hear bout the fish, though the new pics look great. :)

Thanks. :)

If you are interested I can send you my sources for the parts, and a drawing showing you how to install them.

That would be excellent. Air pump may also be a good idea, but I'd like to have something that automatically turns my filter back on. Thanks!

So, I just went over your older surge tank thread, all 37 pages (yeah, I had nothing to do today), and realized how much I want to set up my own cw setup. I've been considering collecting options, but the closest relatively unpolluted and sparsely populated sites are 3+ hrs away.:( Cape cod would be great place to go, but thats bout 5 hours drive.. In any case i'll need to get a chiller first.

Go for it. Its worth the drive. I live 5 hours +*ferry ride away from where I get my stuff.

Ya I found a blood star but it was damaged and died before we got back. I really liked it though, very pretty and bright red.

Im thinking 'bout it, but I don't have a cabin like you do on the puget sound. I also need to find room for another tank, my freshwater might just have to go.

Go for it. Ya I know I have been told, but still your within driving distance thats the point haha :)

Hey add another tank, I have many, and FW is nothing in terms of care ;)

So, I just went over your older surge tank thread, all 37 pages (yeah, I had nothing to do today), and realized how much I want to set up my own cw setup. I've been considering collecting options, but the closest relatively unpolluted and sparsely populated sites are 3+ hrs away.:( Cape cod would be great place to go, but thats bout 5 hours drive.. In any case i'll need to get a chiller first.

Yeah, it definitely helps to have a place to spend the night. It's really hard to do a 10 hour round trip in a day.

Go for it. Its worth the drive. I live 5 hours +*ferry ride away from where I get my stuff.

Ya I found a blood star but it was damaged and died before we got back. I really liked it though, very pretty and bright red.

Yep, they're pretty nice. I'm hoping mine does well. fingerscrossed

so cooool! I demand pictures. why can't you give/sell to hobbiests? official law, or aquarium policy, or something else? send to me anyway!

They're about the size of a BB right now. ;)

Whoa I missed something there. Is that yours wombat???!

I call next line after Jamie if those are available :)

Edit: Never mind read back. That is awesome, well my search will continue. Hopefully the eel grass will reveal one this winter.

Archived