Cultivated Reef

16 gallon Coldwater

Jamie

On Thursday two of my friends and I headed down to Depoe Bay to check things out. there was pretty much nothing there, so it was kind of disappointing, but I was able to catch a little gunnel just by randomly sweeping my net through the water.

After some other beach activities (they do not find squishy hings hanging off dock as amusing as I do) I convinced them that we really should go to Newport, because I know for a fact that there is good stuff there. We were running late though, so I only had about ten minutes on the dock. There was a lot of cool stuff, and there was this school of baby rockfish that would have been perfect for my tank. Even with a net though, they were just too fast to catch. I did manage to get a couple little Metridiums though, so it wasn't a wasted adventure.

I will put pics up when I take them, which probably won't take too long.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply
horusmachine
On Thursday two of my friends and I headed down to Depoe Bay to check things out. there was pretty much nothing there, so it was kind of disappointing, but I was able to catch a little gunnel just by randomly sweeping my net through the water.

After some other beach activities (they do not find squishy hings hanging off dock as amusing as I do) I convinced them that we really should go to Newport, because I know for a fact that there is good stuff there. We were running late though, so I only had about ten minutes on the dock. There was a lot of cool stuff, and there was this school of baby rockfish that would have been perfect for my tank. Even with a net though, they were just too fast to catch. I did manage to get a couple little Metridiums though, so it wasn't a wasted adventure.

I will put pics up when I take them, which probably won't take too long.

Hey jamie I got some Metridiums off a dock float a week ago.

The harbor and docks are my new exploring area. My gosh

the docks are teeming with life. Metridiums, Corynactis, barnicles

and a variety of sponges. And get this, they are all in arms

reach.

On the subject of Metridiums. What are their requirements

food, flow photosynthetic? Any tips would be nice to

know.

Thanks, H

Corynactis on docks!? Where?

Yeah, dacks are pretty sweet - so much easier than anything else, and you get access to all the subtidal stuff.

As for metridiums, I'm not sure. I think they like low-medium flow, and small food, very often. Non-photosynthestic. I actually haven't had great luck with them though, so dunno. I've heard they have spotty records in captivity. So far the new ones seem to be doing well though. :)

Corynactis on docks!? Where?

I would like to know too.....I sincerely doubt that there are corynactis on docks within Puget Sound. I've only seen them out near the ocean mouth of the Strait de Juan de Fuca (near Tatoosh Island)....and on the ocean side of Vancouver Island.....and a few spots in the San Juans......and in over 70ft of depth. They're not even in the high current areas inside Puget Sound like Deception Pass or the Rosaria Straits. Corynactis need high flow and high food.....and most of Puget Sound does not meet that requirement. If you've found somnething different...please spill the beans.

horusmachine
I would like to know too.....I sincerely doubt that there are corynactis on docks within Puget Sound. I've only seen them out near the ocean mouth of the Strait de Juan de Fuca (near Tatoosh Island)....and on the ocean side of Vancouver Island.....and a few spots in the San Juans......and in over 70ft of depth. They're not even in the high current areas inside Puget Sound like Deception Pass or the Rosaria Straits. Corynactis need high flow and high food.....and most of Puget Sound does not meet that requirement. If you've found somnething different...please spill the beans.

I did some double checking with books that I have of native species, and I am pretty sure they are Corynactis Californica. I was able to obtain three polyps that were attached to some barnacles growing

on dock floats. I have been looking for Corynactis on the California coast for almost a year. My trips usually took me from Half Moon Bay to Santa Cruz and back. In those trips I have seen many of the usual

tidepool animals, but no Corynactis to be found. So again I reviewed their specific habitual requirements.

Acording to my sources (Guide To Marine Invertebrates Alaska to Baja California 2nd Edition and

The Beachcomber's Guide To Seashore Life of California) Corynactis live from the low intertidal zone

in water 99' to 150' deep. They also benefit from high water current. So in reading this and absorbing

all I could from our great forum of experienced divers, I came to the conclusion that I would have to dive in waters deeper than any tidepool I had visited. I am not a certified diver, so catching a glimpse of those

damn Strawberries looked like it was not going to happen anytime soon. I did read in the Field Guide To

Seashore Creatures of North America that Corynactis do live on pilings and ledges in bays, so I decided to try my luck at the Pillar Point Harbor located in Half Moon Bay. This trip had a dual purpose. First I was following a lead that I can obtain live abalone on the docks from a supplier, and second to see what can be seen as far as invertebrate life goes. I arrived at the docks during mid day and the water was extremely calm, because it is protected by surrounding rock jetties. I notice the water was very murky and green with a tinge of iridescent purple oily pollution from boat fuel. Visually, the water quality looked

poor, but yet nutrient rich possibly with scores of phytoplankton and zoo. As I descended into the lower portions of the docks, my attention was drawn to the white and orange masses of growth that seemed

to cover anything that was underwater. I walked to mid way the dock where abalone was being sold. At that point, I took a furtive glance at the lower portion of the dock underwater. Growing under the dock

was an enormous colony of Metridium Senile with incredible polyp extension. I also saw brightly colored

orange sponges and tunicates interspersed with hydroids and red kelp. Everywhere I looked I saw colors

of orange, white, greens. This place was teeming with life. Finally I got on my knees to take a closer look at what was just out of site under the ledge of the dock. I saw what looked be endless colonies

of Corynactis Californica! They were everywhere growing on top of barnacles, sponges, floats and even

on the hulls of boats that have been there for sometime. I have look everywhere for these illusive

anenomes and have almost given up my search due to the depths I would have to descend

to see them. Now they are inches away. What amazes me is that they tend to live in deeper waters with higher current. What I observed was a thriving colony of Strawberry Fields in low to no current nutrient rich water just living inches away from the surface. Mixed in with colonies of particulate feeders they

dwell in fuel polluted waters possibly hitch hiked in by the fortuitous catch of the day. Whether this is a natural occurrence of Corynactis Californica or aided by human conventions, these beautiful colonial

anenomes have found a home where I leased expected them to be. Right under my nose.

H

I did some double checking with books that I have of native species, and I am pretty sure they are Corynactis Californica. I was able to obtain three polyps that were attached to some barnacles growing

on dock floats. I have been looking for Corynactis on the California coast for almost a year. My trips usually took me from Half Moon Bay to Santa Cruz and back. In those trips I have seen many of the usual

tidepool animals, but no Corynactis to be found. So again I reviewed their specific habitual requirements.

Acording to my sources (Guide To Marine Invertebrates Alaska to Baja California 2nd Edition and

The Beachcomber's Guide To Seashore Life of California) Corynactis live from the low intertidal zone

in water 99' to 150' deep. They also benefit from high water current. So in reading this and absorbing

all I could from our great forum of experienced divers, I came to the conclusion that I would have to dive in waters deeper than any tidepool I had visited. I am not a certified diver, so catching a glimpse of those

damn Strawberries looked like it was not going to happen anytime soon. I did read in the Field Guide To

Seashore Creatures of North America that Corynactis do live on pilings and ledges in bays, so I decided to try my luck at the Pillar Point Harbor located in Half Moon Bay. This trip had a dual purpose. First I was following a lead that I can obtain live abalone on the docks from a supplier, and second to see what can be seen as far as invertebrate life goes. I arrived at the docks during mid day and the water was extremely calm, because it is protected by surrounding rock jetties. I notice the water was very murky and green with a tinge of iridescent purple oily pollution from boat fuel. Visually, the water quality looked

poor, but yet nutrient rich possibly with scores of phytoplankton and zoo. As I descended into the lower portions of the docks, my attention was drawn to the white and orange masses of growth that seemed

to cover anything that was underwater. I walked to mid way the dock where abalone was being sold. At that point, I took a furtive glance at the lower portion of the dock underwater. Growing under the dock

was an enormous colony of Metridium Senile with incredible polyp extension. I also saw brightly colored

orange sponges and tunicates interspersed with hydroids and red kelp. Everywhere I looked I saw colors

of orange, white, greens. This place was teeming with life. Finally I got on my knees to take a closer look at what was just out of site under the ledge of the dock. I saw what looked be endless colonies

of Corynactis Californica! They were everywhere growing on top of barnacles, sponges, floats and even

on the hulls of boats that have been there for sometime. I have look everywhere for these illusive

anenomes and have almost given up my search due to the depths I would have to descend

to see them. Now they are inches away. What amazes me is that they tend to live in deeper waters with higher current. What I observed was a thriving colony of Strawberry Fields in low to no current nutrient rich water just living inches away from the surface. Mixed in with colonies of particulate feeders they

dwell in fuel polluted waters possibly hitch hiked in by the fortuitous catch of the day. Whether this is a natural occurrence of Corynactis Californica or aided by human conventions, these beautiful colonial

anenomes have found a home where I leased expected them to be. Right under my nose.

H

That's a very interesting story. I wouldn't have guessed they would be found there either. We collect at that exact location (Pillar Point), but always go to the point itself and not the harbor. FWIW you can find Corynactis on the rocks there, but they are sparse and just below the lowest low tides you will see throughout the year.

Any photos? What is the story on collecting inside the harbor?

Ahhhh.....my mistake.....I thought you were in Seattle. If you're in Central Cali....then yes....you might have a chance at seeing strawberries close to shore. The way the thread was going with the Pacific Northwest folks....I thought we were discussing Washington & Oregon.

I want one of those starfish, geese they are beautiful!

It's a very common starfish up here in the Pacific Northwest. At low tide, at my last dive at Seiku, I could have picked up dozens from the tidepool. While diving.....even more are available.

Cool stuff! I wish there were corynactis (or anything of interest) on the docks here!

Steve - have you kept these stars, or do you have any advice? I haven't been doing anything special for it. It seems fine, but I know that sea stars can go a long time seemingly fine, and eventually just die of starvation, so I don't really know if it's getting anything to eat.

I did read in the Field Guide To

Seashore Creatures of North America that Corynactis do live on pilings and ledges in bays, so I decided to try my luck at the Pillar Point Harbor located in Half Moon Bay.

H

Hey horusmachine, any particular part of the docks/pilings? I'm headed out there to explore on Monday...

horusmachine

Ahhhh.....my mistake.....I thought you were in Seattle. If you're in Central Cali....then yes....you might have a chance at seeing strawberries close to shore. The way the thread was going with the Pacific Northwest folks....I thought we were discussing Washington & Oregon.

No problem Steve. I do wish to one time see the Seattle coast.

H

horusmachine
That's a very interesting story. I wouldn't have guessed they would be found there either. We collect at that exact location (Pillar Point), but always go to the point itself and not the harbor. FWIW you can find Corynactis on the rocks there, but they are sparse and just below the lowest low tides you will see throughout the year.

Any photos? What is the story on collecting inside the harbor?

Sorry my camera is on the fritz, but I am getting a new one soon.

H

Not particularly. They're hard to track down in the wild, except in parts of cali where they grow in shallow water, or on oil rigs. Mine were sent to me by a fellow n-r member who dives for scallops, which are often covered in berries.

Hey horusmachine, any particular part of the docks/pilings? I'm headed out there to explore on Monday...

There are indeed lots of Corynactis there and they would be easily collected (without even getting more than your arms wet). I'm not sure what hoops one would have to jump through with CA F&G to collect legally however.

Lots of tunicates, hydroids, sponges, bryozoans, and barnacles there. We were hoping to see some Anthopleura anemones further down the pilings but had no luck.

There are indeed lots of Corynactis there and they would be easily collected (without even getting more than your arms wet). I'm not sure what hoops one would have to jump through with CA F&G to collect legally however.

Lots of tunicates, hydroids, sponges, bryozoans, and barnacles there. We were hoping to see some Anthopleura anemones further down the pilings but had no luck.

Yes it is a beautiful thing to see. They are only few inches

from the surface of the water. Collecting them would be

like picking flowers. I was at the docks last Saturday trying

to escape the 109 degree weather we were having here.

Did you see the colonies of Metridiums? They look like

cotton.

Well the color of the law probably makes collecting nems

from the dock illegal because it is within 100 feet from the

shore. I guess you can ask the harbor master, but they

would probably say no. If you own a boat that was docked

there for a few months you can probably harvest the

nems that grew on your hull. It's your boat and what grows

on them is also your property. I would go further

and tie some rock to the side and aqua culture

strawberry rock. First you have to get a small boat and

pay the docking fee. Just an idea.

H

Yes it is a beautiful thing to see. They are only few inches

from the surface of the water. Collecting them would be

like picking flowers. I was at the docks last Saturday trying

to escape the 109 degree weather we were having here.

Did you see the colonies of Metridiums? They look like

cotton.

Well the color of the law probably makes collecting nems

from the dock illegal because it is within 100 feet from the

shore. I guess you can ask the harbor master, but they

would probably say no. If you own a boat that was docked

there for a few months you can probably harvest the

nems that grew on your hull. It's your boat and what grows

on them is also your property. I would go further

and tie some rock to the side and aqua culture

strawberry rock. First you have to get a small boat and

pay the docking fee. Just an idea.

H

There are places on that dock more than 100 feet from shore, easily. :)

I didn't see the Metridium colonies! How deep, where at exactly?

ok, not much of an update (school... >.< ) but I got a few pictures.

also, I changed my lighting from 10 K to a little bit lower wattage 15 K. I'm liking the bluer look (makes the reds pop a little more) and I'm hoping it'll reduce algae a little.

urchin came out for the photo shoot:

DSC_0960-1.jpg

DSC_0968.jpg

DSC_0978.jpg

And that's it! Updates will be a little more sparse (if they weren't enough already) now that school has started. For now everything's looking pretty much the same as it always does though.

blah, in-class essay tomorrow. Taking pictures is basically the same as studying, so here are a couple more.

jim

DSC_1029.jpg

"can you see me?" I spotted the decorator crab came for the first time ever today. The out of focus red bit is his rostrum, covered in cyano. :)

DSC_1016.jpg

hey lani here's one, special for you :)

you want? ;)

DSC_1042.jpg

how could you say no to those puppy eyes?

DSC_1039.jpg

he's about three inches long, not sure what species yet. Too small for my tank though, he'd be eaten!

Archived