Innovative Marine Aquariums

16 gallon Coldwater

Jamie

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kingwintergreen
Jamie i am starting a 20g cold water tank and i would like to know where do you get your livestock? I would be very willing to buy from you if you collect locally

Hook me up with the commercial license and transport permits necessary to do that (without having one's ass thrown in the slammer) and I'll gladly collect for you! :D

ODFW will take away one's car, boat, cash, even their freedom for merely using part of a harvest for trade. According to "the books," a properly licensed commercial fisherman must land each "catch" (and pay landing fees) and enter the weight, etc. into a special log book. The laws are definitely more liberal with respect to personal use, though this permit clearly prohibits trade or sale. I've talked to a couple of folks from ODFW about this stuff, but most of what they told me conforms to the info available in the fishing regulations pamphlet (which I'm sure is available online).

Jamie i am starting a 20g cold water tank and i would like to know where do you get your livestock? I would be very willing to buy from you if you collect locally

I do collect locally. As kwg said though, it's technically illegal to "sell." I will, however, send you stuff for free, and you can just pay shipping. That's not selling. ;)

Just finished setting up the tropical 40br...... coldwater tank shall be next. B)

you said that two tanks ago :P

I know you Brits like your tea but dipping your fish in a tea cup,can you explain that... :happy:

Apparently I'm British. Interesting....

though I do drink three cups of tea a day. :eek: maybe he's on to something.

WOW those are some awesome pictures the tank is looking great.

thanks!

Hook me up with the commercial license and transport permits necessary to do that (without having one's ass thrown in the slammer) and I'll gladly collect for you! :D

ODFW will take away one's car, boat, cash, even their freedom for merely using part of a harvest for trade. According to "the books," a properly licensed commercial fisherman must land each "catch" (and pay landing fees) and enter the weight, etc. into a special log book. The laws are definitely more liberal with respect to personal use, though this permit clearly prohibits trade or sale. I've talked to a couple of folks from ODFW about this stuff, but most of what they told me conforms to the info available in the fishing regulations pamphlet (which I'm sure is available online).

This is basically what I was thinking. I think as long as you don't profit, it's ok, though. I know my dad always gives (food) fish he catches to people, ODFW hasn't come knocking at our door yet. :lol::ninja:

ok I can deal with that and i can always send a "donation" for your troubles i actully grew up not far from portland and i did do a lot of collecting when i lived up there

kingwintergreen
I do collect locally. As kwg said though, it's technically illegal to "sell." I will, however, send you stuff for free, and you can just pay shipping. That's not selling. ;)

I think as long as you don't profit, it's ok, though. I know my dad always gives (food) fish he catches to people, ODFW hasn't come knocking at our door yet. :lol::ninja:

I think the ODFW person was speaking about the scientific collections permit, though it probably applies broadly-- something like, it becomes a punishable violation if they find a pattern of exchanges with non-permit holding individuals. I did some collecting with the scientific permit (I can't remember exactly what it's called) in college (under my instructor, who actually held the permit), and it was surprising how strict the state is. They are mainly protective of the many threatened species that could get disturbed by collectors. I would definitely check more into out-of-state shipping, because that may require a special permit itself. My opinion, I'd just take the safe route where it comes to ODFW, they are probably much more :ninja: than you or I. And the laws are really, really murky in this area (unfortunately).

But, do tip me off about the next big fresh salmon give-away!

BTW, your tank is looking awesome, man.

Thanks everyone!

Ahhhh, it's times like this it reminds me that it sucks to live in the tropics..

:slap:

wait... wanna trade? I'll give you my fish...

please?

kyrie_eleison

WOW!

That's incredible!

I've never been into cold-water aquarium setups but that is AMAZING! WITH A ZERO-EDGE! That thing has got to be a ton work! Is it completely non-photosynthetic?

:slap:

wait... wanna trade? I'll give you my fish...

please?

Sure, as long as you want a tank that's been drained for the last 3 months and a few tubs of live rock that's cooking :P

WOW!

That's incredible!

I've never been into cold-water aquarium setups but that is AMAZING! WITH A ZERO-EDGE! That thing has got to be a ton work! Is it completely non-photosynthetic?

basically - some of the nems are part photosynthetic, but need supplemental feedings.

Sure, as long as you want a tank that's been drained for the last 3 months and a few tubs of live rock that's cooking :P

I am willing to accept that if I can live in Australia. It's only, like, been my life goal since I was two.

A member who lives in California collects scallops off oil rigs, and he said they're always covered with strawberries, and normally they just throw them away, so he sent up a bunch of shells! It was pretty awesome; certainly satiated my need for strawberries. :D

Have you started on your new tank yet?

I think I might know that guy...I'll have to contact him. I have not set up the new coldwater tank yet....but...I did get my old cold tank back since the guy was moving. I just set it up in the corner of the garage for now (ie...it looks like a POS). Although it declined in the two years that it was not in my care, it is still pretty good and.... with some care and collecting trips..... it should provide a good start to the new tank when I'm ready. I set up an automated feeding system on it to provide food four times a day. It works quite well. It will be a good proving ground for a larger system since I want to try a few new things (like automated feedings) than I did last time.

Soo... if it's back in your care... does that mean you would have the authority to sell a few little things from it? :flower:

How does the feeding system work? Is it dry food? Sounds like something I might want to try.

Soo... if it's back in your care... does that mean you would have the authority to sell a few little things from it? :flower:

How does the feeding system work? Is it dry food? Sounds like something I might want to try.

As you know, these non photosynthetic cold tanks require alot of food......which is one of the reasons my old tank was declining while out of my care......it wasn't getting fed enough. I wanted to employ an automated food delivery system that can deliver food several times a day. This leads to two main problems:

1) The foods that I use ( phyto, oyster eggs, rotifers, and cyclopeeze) need to be constantly refrigerated at 38F.

2) The tank's aggressive filtration will remove the foods rather quickly.... hampering the feedings.

I solved this by using a small Costco refrigerator. I have a low flow (less than 100 gph) 1/2" line flowing....from the tank....through the refrigerator....then back to the tank.

The foods are located in the refrigerator along with a dosing pump. The dosing pump dispenses the foods into the continually running feed line.....which carries the food to the tank.

To maximize the food contact time, the tank's return line is diverted away from the tank via a motorized three way ball valve. When feeding time comes, the controller actuates the ball valve......which prevents water from entering/leaving the tank. The tank, during this time, is just circulated with its Tunze powerheads. The dosing pumps then add the various foods to the feed line which carries the foods to the tank. The food is allowed to circulate for 45 minutes.....then the controller actuates the ball valve again and normal filtration resumes.

I'm using the reef nutrition line of foods along with cyclopeeze kept in suspension via a magnetic stirrer. The cyclopeeze, even refrigerated, only has a shelf life of a few days......but, the other foods have a shelf life of months.

It works pretty slick...

refrigerator.jpg

"a portrait of Jim (yes, that is his name now)

DSC_0857-1.jpg"

Jim is a baby Monkeyface Prickleback. I ruv your tank. Very nice feeding setup, it looks like a lab experiment.

As you know, these non photosynthetic cold tanks require alot of food......which is one of the reasons my old tank was declining while out of my care......it wasn't getting fed enough. I wanted to employ an automated food delivery system that can deliver food several times a day. This leads to two main problems:

1) The foods that I use ( phyto, oyster eggs, rotifers, and cyclopeeze) need to be constantly refrigerated at 38F.

2) The tank's aggressive filtration will remove the foods rather quickly.... hampering the feedings.

I solved this by using a small Costco refrigerator. I have a low flow (less than 100 gph) 1/2" line flowing....from the tank....through the refrigerator....then back to the tank.

The foods are located in the refrigerator along with a dosing pump. The dosing pump dispenses the foods into the continually running feed line.....which carries the food to the tank.

To maximize the food contact time, the tank's return line is diverted away from the tank via a motorized three way ball valve. When feeding time comes, the controller actuates the ball valve......which prevents water from entering/leaving the tank. The tank, during this time, is just circulated with its Tunze powerheads. The dosing pumps then add the various foods to the feed line which carries the foods to the tank. The food is allowed to circulate for 45 minutes.....then the controller actuates the ball valve again and normal filtration resumes.

I'm using the reef nutrition line of foods along with cyclopeeze kept in suspension via a magnetic stirrer. The cyclopeeze, even refrigerated, only has a shelf life of a few days......but, the other foods have a shelf life of months.

It works pretty slick...

refrigerator.jpg

Awesome!

I'm thinking of just putting my filter on a timer, then synchronizing an autofeeder with that. Do you think two feedings of cyclopeez a day would suffice? I've never fed phyto or oyster eggs, what do you use them for?

Jim is a baby Monkeyface Prickleback. I ruv your tank. Very nice feeding setup, it looks like a lab experiment.

Thanks, but your avatar is frightening. It scares me.

Phyto, rotifers, and oyster eggs are for smaller particulate feeders like barnacles, clams, oysters, gorgonians, cucumbers, and mussels. I'm not quite sure how you're going to automate cyclopeeze feeding with an auto feeder though.....cyclopeeze must be kept cold once thawed and even then has a short shelf life.

I'm not sure how many feedings are required. That has to be found out through experimentation. I do know that I don't think that I can do more than four or five per day. Every time the tank returns to normal filtration mode, the food residue that remains in the water knocks the skimmer out of operation for a couple of hours. There has to be at least 5 or 6 hours between feedings to allow the skimmer to clean the water.

Even though the skimmer is rated for over a 1000 gal reef (my volume is maybe 150 gals), it still has to work hard to keep up with the multiple feedings. Without it, the tank would be an algae filled mess. I've also automated heavy vodka dosings to keep N & P low that would otherwise skyrocket with the amount of feedings.

Awesome!

I'm thinking of just putting my filter on a timer, then synchronizing an autofeeder with that. Do you think two feedings of cyclopeez a day would suffice? I've never fed phyto or oyster eggs, what do you use them for?

Thanks, but your avatar is frightening. It scares me.

Dude that's my girlfriend. Lol, jk.

Dont let it know but it told me it would kill me if i changed it.

You have angered it. :scarry:

Phyto, rotifers, and oyster eggs are for smaller particulate feeders like barnacles, clams, oysters, gorgonians, cucumbers, and mussels. I'm not quite sure how you're going to automate cyclopeeze feeding with an auto feeder though.....cyclopeeze must be kept cold once thawed and even then has a short shelf life.

I'm not sure how many feedings are required. That has to be found out through experimentation. I do know that I don't think that I can do more than four or five per day. Every time the tank returns to normal filtration mode, the food residue that remains in the water knocks the skimmer out of operation for a couple of hours. There has to be at least 5 or 6 hours between feedings to allow the skimmer to clean the water.

Even though the skimmer is rated for over a 1000 gal reef (my volume is maybe 150 gals), it still has to work hard to keep up with the multiple feedings. Without it, the tank would be an algae filled mess. I've also automated heavy vodka dosings to keep N & P low that would otherwise skyrocket with the amount of feedings.

I was thinking of some sort of system that could mix dried cyclopeeze with phyto or some enriched liquid, let it soak in to the dry food, then inject it into the tank. That would eliminate the storage problem, assuming whatever the cyclopeeze was stored in had a decent shelf life. I might wait on that though, I'll be going away to college in a year, and I should be able keep up my daily feedings until then. :lol:

Dude that's my girlfriend. Lol, jk.

Dont let it know but it told me it would kill me if i changed it.

You have angered it. :scarry:

Please don't let it kill you, I need you alive so we have some hope that you will eventually be able to change it. If you die, well... we could be stuck with it for a while, and no one wants that.

:P

Monterey? Enjoy your night in jail. ;)

I don't think he would go to jail. He would for sure get slapped with a big fine. I think on the order of $1,000 per violation depending on species though. He could also hit up the aquarists at Monterey Bay Aquarium or local CA Fish and Game. Tell them he is a student or the like and is working on a cold water tank for his Masters project and ask about donations or waver...

Archived