Cultivated Reef

16 gallon Coldwater

Jamie

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How is your sculpin behaving in the tank? I have one exactly like that one in my 10g and he bites the hell out of all three of my anemones. I thoguht it might be because it was hungry but regardless of how much its fed, it bites.I actually have it in a separate 5g now for the anemones sake until i can take it back to the beach.

Yeah, he's hitting the A. elegantissima's pretty hard - doesn't bother the berries though. It seems that if I keep him fed he nips less, also, I think the more nems you have, the more spread out the biting will be. Which means that I will be getting more nems next time there's a low tide.

And I demand pics. :P

Actually, if you live near here, I'd take him off your hands for you - it'd be cool to have a pair.

WANT! I will pay anyone who can get me these anemones. Are they even real!? droool

http://www.cienciesnaturals.com/208index.html

:huh: Aulactinia?

How is your sculpin behaving in the tank? I have one exactly like that one in my 10g and he bites the hell out of all three of my anemones. I thoguht it might be because it was hungry but regardless of how much its fed, it bites.I actually have it in a separate 5g now for the anemones sake until i can take it back to the beach.

Who are you and why don't you have a tank thread?!

WANT! I will pay anyone who can get me these anemones. Are they even real!? droool

this^^^^

:huh: Aulactinia?

and both of these^^^^

and that one too^^^^

Which means that I will be getting more nems next time there's a low tide.

oh hai :flower:

Yeah, he's hitting the A. elegantissima's pretty hard - doesn't bother the berries though. It seems that if I keep him fed he nips less, also, I think the more nems you have, the more spread out the biting will be. Which means that I will be getting more nems next time there's a low tide.

Actually, if you live near here, I'd take him off your hands for you - it'd be cool to have a pair.

Sorry, I'm in CA. But hopefully you have better luck with yours. My smallest(1inch) anemone is splitting from stress, the others are ok now though. BTW I forgot to say in my first post, You've got a great tank.

I havent posted here in a few years, I'll try to make a thread this weekend since you guys are interested. :)

Sorry, I'm in CA. But hopefully you have better luck with yours. My smallest(1inch) anemone is splitting from stress, the others are ok now though. BTW I forgot to say in my first post, You've got a great tank.

I havent posted here in a few years, I'll try to make a thread this weekend since you guys are interested. :)

Do it! I wanna see! :D

Well, today when I fed the tank the sculpin went after the nems - because the cyclops were too small to eat. He doesn't seem to do any physical damage - no missing tentacles or anything - I have no idea why he does it, actually - it seems totally pointless, just pisses the nems off. :huh:

Thanks for the compliment. :)

dshnarwhal - you can has elegant if I can has minicarpet, yes? :flower:

dshnarwhal

omglol

Are those from europe or what :mellow:

The photo is from a public aquarium in South Africa. I'm guessing they're locally-caught.

omglol

sorry, I had too. I wrote it, and then I was like. "No, it can't be that perfect..." but it was. So I had too...

:lol:

But yeah, despite the fact that the website is in Catalan, it's an aquarium in south Africa. There's a link on the page to it. Couldn't find that pic on the aquariums website though.

kingwintergreen
Are those from europe or what :mellow:

Are they not just American West Coast nems (giant greens and warties) with their hues altered with Photoshop or something? :huh:

dshnarwhal - you can has elegant if I can has minicarpet, yes? :flower:

:lol: thats pretty good...

we'll have to discuss this in detail via pm.

sorry, I had too. I wrote it, and then I was like. "No, it can't be that perfect..." but it was. So I had too...

:lol:

But yeah, despite the fact that the website is in Catalan, it's an aquarium in south Africa. There's a link on the page to it. Couldn't find that pic on the aquariums website though.

hmmmmmmm...anyone notice the columns on those things? bumpy...

Are they not just American West Coast nems (giant greens and warties) with their hues altered with Photoshop or something? :huh:

Don't think so. Notice that on the turquoise one, just left of center, there are radiating lines on the oral disk. The grey one just below and to the right has white marks on it's tentacles (Both these characteristics, however, are seen in A. elegantissima). The red-brown one (closed) just to the right of that has verrucae arranged in columns, whereas A. xanthogrammica has them randomly everywhere.

:lol: thats pretty good...

we'll have to discuss this in detail via pm.

hmmmmmmm...anyone notice the columns on those things? bumpy...

My pm box is waiting. :)

Don't think so. Notice that on the turquoise one, just left of center, there are radiating lines on the oral disk. The grey one just below and to the right has white marks on it's tentacles (Both these characteristics, however, are seen in A. elegantissima). The red-brown one (closed) just to the right of that has verrucae arranged in columns, whereas A. xanthogrammica has them randomly everywhere.

I'm glad you were willing to type that out, I was not in the mood, lol. ;)

Maybe email the Sanamyans a link to that site for an ID? http://actiniaria.com/authors.php

oooh, I should email them a pic of my unidentified nem too! It hasn't really opened yet, now it looks like it's splitting. Hopefully it starts doing better. :( But it'd be cool to know what it is!

I take that back, the nem is not splitting, and seems to be doing better! It opened last night, so I stuffed it full of mysis. It was open again today - so I stuffed it full again - I'll be at the beach for the weekend, so I won't have any updates on the nem for a few days, but here are a few better (but not very good) pics of it. I was finally able to get the red on camera! It really looks like and Urticina, doesn't it? Cloumn confuses me though. :unsure: Do you think these pics would be enough for the people at Actiniaria.com to identify it?

DSC_0316-1.jpg

DSC_0322-1.jpg

DSC_0327.jpg

kingwintergreen

Actually, the lines are common in giant greens, as well as the blotches of heavier or lighter pigmentation over the mouth. I actually thought the one with all the large vescicles is a warty. Some of the others could be urts. Who knows, the photo could be what it claims to be, but it just looks a little suspicious to me .

The anemone you just got actually looks a lot like an Epiactis australiensis to me. If you can find some images of this species online, note the color and pattern of the collumn. Although patterns on the oral disc and tentacles vary widely, note also that they usually occur in some combo of purple and white.

OMG TOTALLY AMAZING AND UNEXPECTED TIDEPOOL ADVENTURE!!!!!! AND I BROUGHT A CAMERA!!!!

So, it was barely a low tide (+.2ft), but my mom was like, maybe we should stop here, because it was sunny, and really pretty, and I was like, sure! And then it was amazing! Anthopleura artemisia were everywhere, and beatuiful red and pink hydroids covered the rocks! And it was beautiful in the sunset. Best part of all, I brought my camera! Look!

all pics are top downs of tidepools - no underwater camera on this trip

view of the rocks

DSC_0330.jpg

DSC_0334-1.jpg

DSC_0345.jpg

DSC_0348.jpg

the holes in this rock are the product of boring clams

DSC_0355.jpg

DSC_0365.jpg

DSC_0369.jpg

DSC_0373.jpg

DSC_0379.jpg

DSC_0383.jpg

I had to post this one cause of the red. I didn't even see the color when I was taking the pic, hence the blurryness - I just snapped the pic and left - trust me - if I had seen that color I would have done everything in my power to get that nem, In fact, I'm going back tomorrow just to see if I can find it again. Sooo amazing!

DSC_0387.jpg

DSC_0394.jpg

DSC_0402.jpg

nem in a field of hydroids

DSC_0431.jpg

DSC_0436.jpg

DSC_0444.jpg

DSC_0447.jpg

giant pink hydroid, top is a little less than 1 cm across

DSC_0451.jpg

baby!

DSC_0457-1.jpg

Sunset photos:

DSC_0462.jpg

DSC_0497.jpg

DSC_0492.jpg

DSC_0504.jpg

DSC_0508.jpg

kwg- Well, I have to agree, the colors do look a little 'altered.' And my nem does look a little like the few pictures I've found of E. australiensis. If it is though, how could it have come to be in Tillamook bay in Oregon?

Archived